RE: [nslu2-general] DEFINATE BUG !!! "Not Installed / Not formatted" status

  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      > any idea how I can recover the data?

      Download knoppix, a bootable Linux CD. It'll load the drivers needed to read
      the drive and the data on the drive. Plug the USB drive into your computer
      and copy away! =)

      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      Do you have the right computer stuff? http://tinyurl.com/ytu7z
      Funstuff: A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to remove it.
    • K. Carter Sr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
        Or, if you don't want to go through all that, or use some free beta
        type programs out there like Explore2fs,ext2fsd,extifs, etc, and
        others, which by the way, don't write to ext2/ext3 formatted
        drives .

        Just fire up patition magic, plug the drive into the computers USB
        port and browse and copy from the drive all you want. Just a couple
        of notes about writing to the drive though.

        1. Partition Magic is painfully slow writing to ext2/3 formatted
        drives, that includes writing files, moving them within the drive,
        to just renaming them; writing is SLOOOOWWW.

        2. If you want relly fast writing to ext3 formatted drives, use
        ALMOST ANY PARAGON SOFTWARE program, most of them come with an
        standalone program called PATITION EXPLORER. You can easily write
        really good using that, oh, and copy, etc.. too.

        3. WARNING !!! These and other partition level programs write to the
        drive setting permissions on the things written to as /ROOT.
        In other words, everthing gets written with the uid as 0. (root),
        and gid of 0 (root).

        If you just copy off the drive, everything is left as it was.

        Unless you log in as root, you'll have to "chown" recusively -R the
        permissions back to admin (502), your username, or what ever you
        want.

        Remember, all this applies to writing to the drive, if you just want
        to access the files and copy them, fire up Paragon - Drive Backup,
        or whatever and copy away....

        K. Carter