HELP - passwd promt reads 'root@192...'

  • wibbleman11
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
      Can someone with linux experience help out this newbie?

      Ive been using SLUG to learn unix, and havee een making good
      progress. Yesterday ny password prompt changed from
      from... Enter root's password:
      to.... Enter root@192.168.42.177's password (eg SLUGs IP)
      (any user i enter, gets appended by the @IP-addr when prompt for
      pwd.) I assume this is messing up pwd authentication.

      I didnt consciuously change anything, cant now log back if. If I
      disconnect disc and reboot I can telnet in with the corret password,
      and i can add/edit/delete files - but dont know where to look.

      Ive had a quick play with the passwd file, i copied the root line,
      then created a root2 user with same orig pwd, but no luck

      (Thinks, does the hashed pwd work on the username as well as pwd -
      ahh, summat else to try)

      Thanks in anticipation.

      Wibble
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
        On 9/3/05, wibbleman11 <wibbleman11@...> wrote:

        > Can someone with linux experience help out this newbie?
        >
        > Ive been using SLUG to learn unix

        The Slug is *not* the way to learn Unix/Linux. Use a desktop computer
        running Knoppix, or CoLinux, to do that.
        -- Rod

      • John R Wersan Jr
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
          I am trying to upgrade all the software on my Slug with "ipkg upgrade" and
          everything else upgraded fine until it got to this..

          # ipkg upgrade

          Upgrading openvpn on root from 2.0_rc17-1 to 2.0_rc17-3...

          Downloading
          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/openvpn_2.0_rc17-3_armeb.ipk

          ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn:

          kernel-module-tun

          Configuring vte

          /usr/lib/ipkg/info/vte.postinst: /opt/etc/init.d/S05devpts-vte: No such file
          or directory

          postinst script returned status 127

          ERROR: vte.postinst returned 127

          Nothing to be done

          So I try everything I can think of to no avail.

          So I do an "ipkg remove openvpn", and it comes back that it is already
          removed..

          So I type in the upgrade command again and it gives me this AGAIN..

          HELP!!!!!!!!!

          TIA

          John

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2005
            In message <0IM9003D9VFPIBA1@...>, John R Wersan Jr
            <jwersan@...> writes
            >I am trying to upgrade all the software on my Slug with "ipkg upgrade" and
            >everything else upgraded fine until it got to this..
            >

            ># ipkg upgrade
            >
            >Upgrading openvpn on root from 2.0_rc17-1 to 2.0_rc17-3...
            >
            >Downloading
            >http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/openvpn_2.0_rc17-3_armeb.ipk
            >
            >ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn:
            >
            > kernel-module-tun

            The kernel modules are located at :-
            <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/oe/>
            I think that ipkg install kernel-module-tun will install it.
            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA