HD Disk Performance Tools

  • ocrlho
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hello all,
      I have been pretty happy with my NSLU2 so far but now I started to do
      a lot of Video Editing so I transfer large files (only for backup not
      really work with them) to / from the NSLU2 box.
      Since my other transfers were small files I didn't care about
      performance much, but now with 8, 9 GB files, its a pain!

      Yesterday I transfered 2.3 Gb in 9 minutes. So my questions are:

      1- Does that seem reasonable?

      2- Which tools do you guys use to benchmark Read/Write to it?

      Many thanks
    • wibbleman11
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
        Ive not done any tests myself, think i saw approx 1MB/s last time i
        looked, but think others have seen 3MB/s or so. However, the form of
        the data (file size, block size etc) is a big factor.

        (1) Heres some rough figures, of typical throught of various components
        USB1 is 12Mb/s, approx 1MB/s theorerical maximum,
        USB2 is 480Mb/s, approx 45MB/s in theory
        Typical IDE disc around 20-30MB/s typically
        100Mbp/s Ethernet approx 8-10MB/s max.

        If you achieved 8GB in 9 mins, thats approx 15MB/s, which isnt really
        likely across 100Base-T Ethernet, but may be across disk1-disk2, USB2-
        USB2?

        (2) A popular tool for benchmarking is IOMETER (iometer.org).

        Wibble

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ocrlho" <vtncus@h...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I have been pretty happy with my NSLU2 so far but now I started to do
        > a lot of Video Editing so I transfer large files (only for backup not
        > really work with them) to / from the NSLU2 box.
        > Since my other transfers were small files I didn't care about
        > performance much, but now with 8, 9 GB files, its a pain!
        >
        > Yesterday I transfered 2.3 Gb in 9 minutes. So my questions are:
        >
        > 1- Does that seem reasonable?
        >
        > 2- Which tools do you guys use to benchmark Read/Write to it?
        >
        > Many thanks
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
          On 9/2/05, ocrlho <vtncus@...> wrote:
          > Yesterday I transfered 2.3 Gb in 9 minutes. So my questions are:
          >
          > 1- Does that seem reasonable?
          >
          > 2- Which tools do you guys use to benchmark Read/Write to it?

          See the wiki Info/Performance.

          -- Rod