RE: [nslu2-general] Re: Hardware problem?

  • Rick Alfaro
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
      Not sure if this will help anyone, but I was having a very similar problem
      where backing up large amounts of data to the NSLU2 would result in the
      transfer coming to a halt after a while. The nslu2 became totally
      unresponsive from that point on. At first I was placing the blame on my
      Maxtor OneTouch II for going into power save mode, but after further
      investigation I discovered the real problem. My nslu2 was over-heating. I
      had it laying flat on a carpeted area which caused improper ventilation
      which caused it to heat up. As soon as I started using the stand instead of
      laying it flat, the problem vanished and it has been working great ever
      since. It is on 24/7 and I perform fairly large nightly backups with no
      problems. The OneTouch power saving works great and has no undesirable side
      effects at all so far. Perhaps this will help someone solve the problem.