Re: [nslu2-general] Flash disk perspectives

  • Tommy B
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
      Bartek Trzebuchowski wrote:

      >Hi everyone.
      >
      >I just been reading some of the last posts about the fact, that flash
      >memory keys will eventually wear out. I didn't think about that when I
      >bought a 2GB stick and installed it on my slug as disk 1. It works fine
      >now, but 1.000.000 writes will quickly go I think, when the key is used
      >as main drive, or will it? How much is the Slug writing to the flash
      >key, when it reads files from the hard drive connected to the other USB
      >port? I can see that the small LED on the flash key is blinking, but
      >without knowing if the Slug only reads from it or writes to it as well.
      >The Slug has some flash memory on its own, but is it using it for system
      >operations or is it using the flash stick for it?
      >
      >Should I go back and install a harddrive as disk 1?

      What are you running ? Unslung, OpenSlug, DebianSlug (BE or LE),
      uCSlugc, other ?

      I'm interested in sorting this out for DebianSlug and OpenSlug. John B.
      does great work and I'd guess it's sorted out for uCSlugc. It may very
      well be all sorted out for OpenSlug as John and [cc]smart did a bunch of
      work wrt the memstick turnup. I just haven't verified it.

      I miss the "lock" on the flash sticks, however, I do have an old one
      (Sandisk) that's still got the external switch. So flashing and then
      rebooting with the lock would be an easy way to find errors. lsof is
      also your friend.

      For my BE DebSlug, I'm running a 2G microdrive which was pretty
      fantastic at $101US from newegg until I started doing a bazillion
      apt-get's and package builds. Now I'm nearly out of room :). Time to
      cut the development DebSlug back over to the Maxtor Drive. I do want to
      have a BE DebSlug that runs from flash and has the volatile stuff on
      tmpfs or ramdisk that get backed-up to disk periodically.

      [g2]