DEFINATE BUG !!! "Not Installed / Not formatted" status

  • K. Carter Sr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
      Your equiptment is not the problem. I've had the same problem as
      many people are experiencing. A perfectly working NSLU2 for what
      ever the reason hiccups and your hard drive is no longer there. The
      NSLU2 reports your hard drive as Not Installed, "left the building",
      etc..
      The only way to get it back is to re-format the drive. But WAIT!
      When I check the drive using several different programs that can
      read & write to the drive, they all show everything is there and in
      order. I can use the drive just fine attached to anything EXCEPT the
      NSLU2 and access the files. I've also used a plethora of different
      USB chipsets with different cases. The NSLU2 still has the same
      problem. I've even used a direct USB 2.0 to IDE cable capable of
      handling drives over 250 GB and that didn't stop the problem from re-
      occuring.
      When this problem happens, even though there is nothing physically
      wrong with the hard drive, you have to re-format it to get the NSLU2
      to want to talk to it again. WEIRD!!!

      Also, I was able to create the problem I think (I haven't done this
      more than once, maybe someone should follow up on this), if I
      altered the time stamp on the passwd file (by coping and resaving it
      back to the hard drive, the NSLU2 refused to recognize the drive
      ever again until I reformatted it again, like I said before, even
      though there is nothing wrong with the drive or the files on it.
      I've figured out other ways to get the NSLU2 to stop talking to the
      hard drive too, sometimes accessing a file with the uid set to root,
      or aborting a large file transfer, etc..., And once it's gone, it's
      gone.

      I'm tring to figure out how to get it to re-recognize the drive
      after it has this problem. The problem is that even if I do figure
      out how to get the NSLU2 to see the HD again. It's just a matter of
      days, sometimes hours before something causes the NSLU to hiccup
      again and loose the hard drive. This needs a permanent solution.

      Oh well, back to the drawing board. If anyone figures out why the
      NSLU2 can't talk to the HD after and error, REPLY PLEEESE...

      K.C.
    • schja01
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "K. Carter Sr."
        <KC.Lists.Development@C...> wrote:

        > Your equiptment is not the problem. I've had the same problem as
        > many people are experiencing. A perfectly working NSLU2 for what
        > ever the reason hiccups and your hard drive is no longer there.
        The
        > NSLU2 reports your hard drive as Not Installed, "left the
        building",
        > etc..
        > The only way to get it back is to re-format the drive. But WAIT!
        > When I check the drive using several different programs that can
        > read & write to the drive, they all show everything is there and
        in
        > order. I can use the drive just fine attached to anything EXCEPT
        the
        > NSLU2 and access the files. I've also used a plethora of different
        > USB chipsets with different cases. The NSLU2 still has the same
        > problem. I've even used a direct USB 2.0 to IDE cable capable of
        > handling drives over 250 GB and that didn't stop the problem from
        re-
        > occuring.
        > When this problem happens, even though there is nothing physically
        > wrong with the hard drive, you have to re-format it to get the
        NSLU2
        > to want to talk to it again. WEIRD!!!
        >
        > Also, I was able to create the problem I think (I haven't done
        this
        > more than once, maybe someone should follow up on this), if I
        > altered the time stamp on the passwd file (by coping and resaving
        it
        > back to the hard drive, the NSLU2 refused to recognize the drive
        > ever again until I reformatted it again, like I said before, even
        > though there is nothing wrong with the drive or the files on it.
        > I've figured out other ways to get the NSLU2 to stop talking to
        the
        > hard drive too, sometimes accessing a file with the uid set to
        root,
        > or aborting a large file transfer, etc..., And once it's gone,
        it's
        > gone.
        >
        > I'm tring to figure out how to get it to re-recognize the drive
        > after it has this problem. The problem is that even if I do figure
        > out how to get the NSLU2 to see the HD again. It's just a matter
        of
        > days, sometimes hours before something causes the NSLU to hiccup
        > again and loose the hard drive. This needs a permanent solution.
        >
        > Oh well, back to the drawing board. If anyone figures out why the
        > NSLU2 can't talk to the HD after and error, REPLY PLEEESE...
        >
        > K.C.
        So this happens as a result of some undocumented access/hacking of
        the NSLU2?
        I can live with that.
      • Raben, Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
          any idea how I can recover the data?

          Thanks,
          Jeff Raben
          jeff@...

          ________________________________

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r91lv8/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1096999222/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
          p://companion.yahoo.com>

          s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=831981083>

        • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
            > any idea how I can recover the data?

            Download knoppix, a bootable Linux CD. It'll load the drivers needed to read
            the drive and the data on the drive. Plug the USB drive into your computer
            and copy away! =)

            David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
            Do you have the right computer stuff? http://tinyurl.com/ytu7z
            Funstuff: A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to remove it.
          • K. Carter Sr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
              Or, if you don't want to go through all that, or use some free beta
              type programs out there like Explore2fs,ext2fsd,extifs, etc, and
              others, which by the way, don't write to ext2/ext3 formatted
              drives .

              Just fire up patition magic, plug the drive into the computers USB
              port and browse and copy from the drive all you want. Just a couple
              of notes about writing to the drive though.

              1. Partition Magic is painfully slow writing to ext2/3 formatted
              drives, that includes writing files, moving them within the drive,
              to just renaming them; writing is SLOOOOWWW.

              2. If you want relly fast writing to ext3 formatted drives, use
              ALMOST ANY PARAGON SOFTWARE program, most of them come with an
              standalone program called PATITION EXPLORER. You can easily write
              really good using that, oh, and copy, etc.. too.

              3. WARNING !!! These and other partition level programs write to the
              drive setting permissions on the things written to as /ROOT.
              In other words, everthing gets written with the uid as 0. (root),
              and gid of 0 (root).

              If you just copy off the drive, everything is left as it was.

              Unless you log in as root, you'll have to "chown" recusively -R the
              permissions back to admin (502), your username, or what ever you
              want.

              Remember, all this applies to writing to the drive, if you just want
              to access the files and copy them, fire up Paragon - Drive Backup,
              or whatever and copy away....

              K. Carter