Re: Disk Status - Not Installed

  • panyk
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
      I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based on
      a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the nslu2,
      format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
      try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
      .avi) the nslu2 locks up. I restart it and it shows no disks present
      though the indicator light on the front for that drive is lit. If i
      attach the thing on my windows xp machine i can see 3 partitions, and
      using the ext2fsd driver i can mount it under windows and view the
      contents of the drive exactly as i copied them into place. If i
      delete all the partitions and reconnect it again detects the drive as
      present and not formatted and i start the cycle again. Have tried
      this with two different drives in the same enclosure an old 80gb ibm
      deskstar and a new 250gb western digital caviar both with the same
      result using both the disk1 and disk2 connection. Add to this that i
      have already had to replace the nslu2 once because of a bad firmware
      upgrade (also because of the same problem with the enclosure i think).
      I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based on
      the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
      enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pompeysteve2002"
      <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
      wrote:
      > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
      > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
      no
      > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
      > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
      > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
      with
      > > the NSLU2(s)
      >
      > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
      > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
      > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
      > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot
      -
      > boom.
      >
      > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
      >
      > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
      > success in eliminating this problem?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Steve
    • pompeysteve2002
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "panyk" <panyk@y...> wrote:
        > I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based
        on
        > a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the
        nslu2,
        > format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
        > try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
        > .avi) the nslu2 locks up.

        [..snip..]

        > I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based
        on
        > the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
        > enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

        Hi,

        I received my new enclosure yesterday - a Metal Gear Box (Silver with
        Blue LED) from http://www.specialtech.co.uk which uses the Prolific
        chipset, and has been running like a dream so far! Unslung ok, copied
        a few gigs across and also run a media server to my DVD player on it!
        (http://www.sourceforget.net/projects/dp500serv)

        I was also thinking of getting a Bytecc enclosure (ME-350U2 I think,
        it has a rainbow light on the top) but plumped for the Metal Gear as
        I knew this used the PL chipset which seems to have the fewest
        problems so far.

        Steve