Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Disk 2 freezing the slug when booting from Flash Disk on Disk 1?

  • Peter Boraston
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
      I get this problem too. I have two slugs, both
      unslung to hard drives. Both operate correctly with
      one disk attached, but as soon as second one is
      attched, the slug freezes and control can only be
      regained by unplugging the power cord, re-connecting
      and rebooting without the second disk.

      --- jtbpenguin <jbullock@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Hi,

      I am having the same behaviour, I hadn't tried using a
      memory stick in
      the second slot, but just did and sure enough the same
      exact
      behaviour.

      I too am running 5.5, everything seems fine until
      adding the
      second device.

      It seems like the kernel is not mapping the USB to
      SCSI device right,
      and getting confused.

      I can reboot, it will come up with both devices
      attached, but Disk2 is
      still unavailable.

      FYI
      jb

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ri_uffa"
      <ri_uffa@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I discovered this strange problem on my slug.
      >
      > I put the 5.5 beta and unslinged to a memory stick
      (512 Mb),
      > installed packages etc. Everything works fine.
      >
      > But when I add something to the Disk 2 slot - either
      another memory
      > stick or a USB HD. The Disk 2 light does not come
      up, the Disk 1
      > light disappears and the slug hangs. Trying to turn
      it off using
      the
      > button does not work (it beeps though) and the only
      way is to
      remove
      > the power cable..
      >
      > I tried with two different 512 Mb memory sticks,
      unslinged several
      > times, reflashed twice.. no avail.
      > I also made the test on another slug, same problem.
      >
      > Note that booting without a disk attached and
      plugging the drive
      > after the boot works perfectly.
      > I didn't unsling to Disk 2 yet, but I'll try that
      shortly.

      > Is this a 5.5 bug?
      >
      > Thanks everyone..
      >
      > b.

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

    • vanrandy2000
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
        I am having a very similiar problem. I run Linksys firmware R63
        though. I just bought it two days ago from DELL. I only tried
        attaching an NTFS HD (that's all I have now) to the port 2, which
        totally freezes the device - power button not working, and no
        connectivity on the network. Unplug the power cord and plug it again,
        it can reboot sometimes, but not always. It seems to me cooling it
        down for a while help rebooting. Anyway I haven't got any successes
        with my NTFS HD so far.

        I talked the issue with two guys at Linksys support. One
        suggested "get it replaced for a good indication of defective
        device", the other said "could be something wrong with my HD". Since
        it doesn't look like it's my problem alone, I think this could be
        something wrong with hardware.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Peter Boraston <hibciksuy@y...>