Hardware problem?

  • epkulse
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005

      I´m now trying to run Openslug. Have previously tried FW r24 and r63.
      Also tried Unslung BETA 5.5. All the time, though, I have encountered
      instability of all kinds. In the beginning mainly when handling disk
      accesses. But now, even when setting up Openslug it is unstable. Lots
      of different interesting situations. Anyway - I´m more and more
      convinced that something is incorrect in the HW. I have enclosed some
      errors that I encounter in the dmesg - perhaps someone can verify if
      these errors could indicate a faulty HW?

      Linux version 2.6.12.2 (openslug@...) (gcc version 3.4.4) #1
      Mon Aug 8 08:52:36 PDT 2005
      CPU: XScale-IXP42x Family [690541f1] revision 1 (ARMv5TE)
      CPU0: D VIVT undefined 5 cache
      CPU0: I cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
      CPU0: D cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 32, 32 byte lines, 32 sets
      Machine: Linksys NSLU2
      Warning: bad configuration page, trying to continue
      Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
      On node 0 totalpages: 8192
      DMA zone: 8192 pages, LIFO batch:3
      Normal zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:1
      HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:1
      Built 1 zonelists
      Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw rootfstype=jffs2
      mem=32M@0x00000000 init=/linuxrc reboot=s noirqdebug
      console=ttyS0,115200n8

      -snip-

      ixp400: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
      Module init.
      ixp425_eth:
      Initializing IXP425 NPE Ethernet driver software v. 1.1A
      ixp425_eth: CPU clock speed (approx) = 0 MHz
      [error] ixEthMiiPhyScan : unexpected Mii PHY ID 00008201
      ixp425_eth: npe0 is using the PHY at address 0
      ixp425_eth: npe1 is using the PHY at address 1
      NET: Registered protocol family 17
      ixp425_eth: ixEthMiiLinkStatus failed on PHY0.
      Can't determine
      the auto negotiated parameters. Using default values.

      -end-

      /Uffe
    • nicola_bernardini
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Dear all, dear ekpulse,

        if you do have a hardware problem, then it looks like I have it too
        because my machine behaves exactly as you describe.

        However, after the last thread and my post I did some more testing as
        indicated by someone else on this list. I hooked up the NSLU2
        directely to my laptop with a very short xover cable and... sure
        enough, the problems remained. Same things happened (oopsing and
        crashing while copying very large files).

        Then I did a different test to understand whether it's a problem with
        the network. I attempted to do several copies of a 1.2 Gbyte file from
        the NSLU2 disk right into the same disk, no network involved and...
        yes, oopsed and crashed again. I rebooted, fsck'ed the disk, tried to
        remove whatever was left from the crashed copies and... crashed again.
        Finally performing one remove at a time I succeded to remove the copies.

        The oopses from copying/removing both start with:

        Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00200000
        pgd = c1830000
        [00200000] *pgd=00000000
        Internal error: Oops: f5 [#1]
        Modules linked in: tcp_diag ixp425_eth ixp400 ext3 jbd ipv6 ext2 mbcache
        CPU: 0

        and then, I noticed a (perhaps) strange thing. The 'free' command gave
        me, right after each crash, what follows:

        total used free shared buffers
        Mem: 30680 29548 1132 0 284
        Swap: 56216 0 56216
        Total: 86896 29548 57348

        That is: RAM almost to capacity but swap untouched. Could it possibly
        be that the kernel crashes at the moment of swapping because of some
        problem with the swapfile or something? I have properly formatted the
        swap space with -v1, and the disk does not have bad blocks. But other
        times (like when running fsck, I can see the swap being used) so this
        could be completely wrong.

        ekpulse, do you observe oops traces in your messages file
        (/var/log/messages, look for 'Oops')? It would be really good if we
        could pin this down. Any other hint?

        thank you

        nicb

        P.S. I have also installed and modprobe'd the tcp_diag module, but I
        don't have a clue on how to use it.

        P.S. My machine does exactly the same boot sequence as the one you
        posted. Does'nt seem to be a problem (but I might be wrong).

      • Rick Alfaro
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
          Not sure if this will help anyone, but I was having a very similar problem
          where backing up large amounts of data to the NSLU2 would result in the
          transfer coming to a halt after a while. The nslu2 became totally
          unresponsive from that point on. At first I was placing the blame on my
          Maxtor OneTouch II for going into power save mode, but after further
          investigation I discovered the real problem. My nslu2 was over-heating. I
          had it laying flat on a carpeted area which caused improper ventilation
          which caused it to heat up. As soon as I started using the stand instead of
          laying it flat, the problem vanished and it has been working great ever
          since. It is on 24/7 and I perform fairly large nightly backups with no
          problems. The OneTouch power saving works great and has no undesirable side
          effects at all so far. Perhaps this will help someone solve the problem.