RE: [nslu2-general] Linksys V63 firmware

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      Go look in the list archive.

      -- Inge

      ----Original Message----
      From: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter
      Campion-Bye Sent: 1. september 2005 22:36 To:
      nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [nslu2-general]
      Linksys V63 firmware

      > So where is this V63 firmware then?
      > Linksys website still showing only 2.3 Release 29
      >
      > On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:52 +0100, Chris Watts wrote:
      > > I've also downloaded a copy of Linksys V63 firmware,
      > > the only thing about it is that some functions don't
      > > work if you just have just a NTFS file system. It
      > > demands an EXT3 disk for some functions. Now I'm
      > > wondering if it's possible for Linksys to format the
      > > disk with one NTFS partition, an EXT3 partition and one
      > > swap, thus permitting the extra functions, while
      > > retaining compatibility with other operating systems.

    • Urban J. Cubbage
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        I tried to do the same last night. A ext3 main partition with an NTFS
        partition. NSLU2 did not like it so I formatted the whole disk as ext3.

        If you do not have an ext3 partition the NSLU2 will not allow you to save
        new groups, users and other admin stuff.

        Thank You

        Urban

        Linksys website still showing only 2.3 Release 29

        On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:52 +0100, Chris Watts wrote:
        > I've also downloaded a copy of Linksys V63 firmware, the only thing about
        it
        > is that some functions don't work if you just have just a NTFS file
        system.
        > It demands an EXT3 disk for some functions. Now I'm wondering if it's
        > possible for Linksys to format the disk with one NTFS partition, an EXT3
        > partition and one swap, thus permitting the extra functions, while
        retaining
        > compatibility with other operating systems.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • losepete
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
          Hi

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@c...>
          wrote:
          > IF you are still using a previous version of Linksys firmware, the
          V63
          > contains a much improved version of SAMBA

          That now does not work with my network at all - was a little flaky
          with V23R29.

          and fixed one of my major
          > complaints with the vendor firmware: My backup software would not
          > successfully backup up to my SLUG.

          No, no improvements there either.

          Had to revert to v23R29 to be able to access the NSLU2 via the samba
          server.

          Did like the idea of the ftp server but not at the expense of "File
          and Print Client" access.

          From email converstions with Linksys I got the idea that they were not
          actually releasing R63, just testing some updates for compatibility.

          Maybe there will be an improved R63 soon :-)

          Pete
        • Aaron Hoyt
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
            > complaints with the vendor firmware: My backup software would not
            > successfully backup up to my SLUG. Actually, Unslung 5.x had the same
            > problem before I updated SAMBA. Worth the upgrade just for the SAMBA
            > improvements.

            Have you done much investigation on rsync? I am rather new to Linux, but
            that tool alone has saved me hours on my backups. I use 5.5 and followed
            the "How To" to fix the slug disk to disk backup. This lead to using rsync
            to backup the slug to another Linux box. The backup time for rsync is much
            faster than others. I can now grab incremental backups of my slug across a
            LAN much faster than I could have imagined and in much less space also.
            That might be worth investigation if you are currently using SAMBA for
            backups.
            Best of luck,
            Aaron
          • peachfuzz163
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
              My particular backups were from Win XP using BackupMyPC. I have,
              since my original post, written backup files (which the software
              re-read and verified) up to 7GB in size. Before V63 the file would
              successfully write but could NOT be verified. It would fail after
              about a few megs. The slug configuration is just a generic WD80 GB
              disk in a generic external case. The drive is default formatted by
              the slug in EXT3 format and the slug has been "de-underclocked". All
              network traffic is via a fully switched wired network. Write
              performance on the 7GB file was about 4MB/Sec (33.5 min to write)

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Hoyt" <aaron.hoyt@v...>