RE: [nslu2-general] Linksys V63 firmware

  • Peter Campion-Bye
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      So where is this V63 firmware then?
      Linksys website still showing only 2.3 Release 29

      On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:52 +0100, Chris Watts wrote:
      > I've also downloaded a copy of Linksys V63 firmware, the only thing about it
      > is that some functions don't work if you just have just a NTFS file system.
      > It demands an EXT3 disk for some functions. Now I'm wondering if it's
      > possible for Linksys to format the disk with one NTFS partition, an EXT3
      > partition and one swap, thus permitting the extra functions, while retaining
      > compatibility with other operating systems.

    • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        Go look in the list archive.

        -- Inge

        Campion-Bye Sent: 1. september 2005 22:36 To:
        nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [nslu2-general]
        Linksys V63 firmware

        > So where is this V63 firmware then?
        > Linksys website still showing only 2.3 Release 29
        >
        > On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:52 +0100, Chris Watts wrote:
        > > I've also downloaded a copy of Linksys V63 firmware,
        > > the only thing about it is that some functions don't
        > > work if you just have just a NTFS file system. It
        > > demands an EXT3 disk for some functions. Now I'm
        > > wondering if it's possible for Linksys to format the
        > > disk with one NTFS partition, an EXT3 partition and one
        > > swap, thus permitting the extra functions, while
        > > retaining compatibility with other operating systems.

      • Urban J. Cubbage
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          I tried to do the same last night. A ext3 main partition with an NTFS
          partition. NSLU2 did not like it so I formatted the whole disk as ext3.

          If you do not have an ext3 partition the NSLU2 will not allow you to save
          new groups, users and other admin stuff.

          Thank You

          Urban

          Linksys website still showing only 2.3 Release 29

          On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 16:52 +0100, Chris Watts wrote:
          > I've also downloaded a copy of Linksys V63 firmware, the only thing about
          it
          > is that some functions don't work if you just have just a NTFS file
          system.
          > It demands an EXT3 disk for some functions. Now I'm wondering if it's
          > possible for Linksys to format the disk with one NTFS partition, an EXT3
          > partition and one swap, thus permitting the extra functions, while
          retaining
          > compatibility with other operating systems.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • losepete
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2005
            Hi

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@c...>
            wrote:
            > IF you are still using a previous version of Linksys firmware, the
            V63
            > contains a much improved version of SAMBA

            That now does not work with my network at all - was a little flaky
            with V23R29.

            and fixed one of my major
            > complaints with the vendor firmware: My backup software would not
            > successfully backup up to my SLUG.

            No, no improvements there either.

            Had to revert to v23R29 to be able to access the NSLU2 via the samba
            server.

            Did like the idea of the ftp server but not at the expense of "File
            and Print Client" access.

            From email converstions with Linksys I got the idea that they were not
            actually releasing R63, just testing some updates for compatibility.

            Maybe there will be an improved R63 soon :-)

            Pete
          • Aaron Hoyt
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
              > complaints with the vendor firmware: My backup software would not
              > successfully backup up to my SLUG. Actually, Unslung 5.x had the same
              > problem before I updated SAMBA. Worth the upgrade just for the SAMBA
              > improvements.

              Have you done much investigation on rsync? I am rather new to Linux, but
              that tool alone has saved me hours on my backups. I use 5.5 and followed
              the "How To" to fix the slug disk to disk backup. This lead to using rsync
              to backup the slug to another Linux box. The backup time for rsync is much
              faster than others. I can now grab incremental backups of my slug across a
              LAN much faster than I could have imagined and in much less space also.
              That might be worth investigation if you are currently using SAMBA for
              backups.
              Best of luck,
              Aaron
            • peachfuzz163
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2005
                My particular backups were from Win XP using BackupMyPC. I have,
                since my original post, written backup files (which the software
                re-read and verified) up to 7GB in size. Before V63 the file would
                successfully write but could NOT be verified. It would fail after
                about a few megs. The slug configuration is just a generic WD80 GB
                disk in a generic external case. The drive is default formatted by
                the slug in EXT3 format and the slug has been "de-underclocked". All
                network traffic is via a fully switched wired network. Write
                performance on the 7GB file was about 4MB/Sec (33.5 min to write)

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Hoyt" <aaron.hoyt@v...>