Re: Disk Status - Not Installed

  • hdouglas64
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
      Not solved the problem here yet, I bought 4 of these enclosures,
      thankfully they were reasonably cheap. I am waiting to see which
      enclosure to go for next, I will then buy 1 and try for a month to
      check reliability before adding more drives.

      I am not yet convinced that it is just the chipset causing the
      problems, I suspect there may be other issues yet to be
      discovered/solved.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pompeysteve2002"
      <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
      wrote:
      > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
      > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
      no
      > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
      > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
      > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
      with
      > > the NSLU2(s)
      >
      > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's
      the
      > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
      > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
      > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next
      reboot -
      > boom.
      >
      > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
      >
      > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
      > success in eliminating this problem?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Steve
    • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
        Have to admit, haven't seen these problems at all on unSLUNG modified
        kernel.

        Would advise that you spend just a little time and gain telnet access
        (see http://egroup.com/group/nslu2-linux and the howtos on
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/). There are only a few commands needed to
        validate the data and re-export the mount point from the NSLU2.

        Worth your time, especially since the ordering of multiple USB
        hardware enclosures isn't solving your problem !

        Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
        PS - sorry to use this ungodly sneakemail address, but I have been
        getting spam from my registration to this eGroup. Time to take it to
        private or perhaps moderator approval for joining.
      • panyk
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
          I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based on
          a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the nslu2,
          format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
          try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
          .avi) the nslu2 locks up. I restart it and it shows no disks present
          though the indicator light on the front for that drive is lit. If i
          attach the thing on my windows xp machine i can see 3 partitions, and
          using the ext2fsd driver i can mount it under windows and view the
          contents of the drive exactly as i copied them into place. If i
          delete all the partitions and reconnect it again detects the drive as
          present and not formatted and i start the cycle again. Have tried
          this with two different drives in the same enclosure an old 80gb ibm
          deskstar and a new 250gb western digital caviar both with the same
          result using both the disk1 and disk2 connection. Add to this that i
          have already had to replace the nslu2 once because of a bad firmware
          upgrade (also because of the same problem with the enclosure i think).
          I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based on
          the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
          enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

          <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
          wrote:
          > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
          > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
          no
          > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
          > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
          > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
          with
          > > the NSLU2(s)
          >
          > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
          > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
          > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
          > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot
          -
          > boom.
          >
          > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
          >
          > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
          > success in eliminating this problem?
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Steve
        • pompeysteve2002
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "panyk" <panyk@y...> wrote:
            > I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based
            on
            > a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the
            nslu2,
            > format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
            > try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
            > .avi) the nslu2 locks up.

            [..snip..]

            > I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based
            on
            > the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
            > enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

            Hi,

            I received my new enclosure yesterday - a Metal Gear Box (Silver with
            Blue LED) from http://www.specialtech.co.uk which uses the Prolific
            chipset, and has been running like a dream so far! Unslung ok, copied
            a few gigs across and also run a media server to my DVD player on it!
            (http://www.sourceforget.net/projects/dp500serv)

            I was also thinking of getting a Bytecc enclosure (ME-350U2 I think,
            it has a rainbow light on the top) but plumped for the Metal Gear as
            I knew this used the PL chipset which seems to have the fewest
            problems so far.

            Steve