Re: [nslu2-general] OpenSlug + USB stick -- some questions

  • Pierre Lewis
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:28:07PM +0200, Jochen Rüter wrote:

      > lew1193 schrieb:

      Vielen Dank für die Antworten...

      > > The openSlug image is about the same size as official LinkSys images.
      > > Yet it contains neither Samba nor HTTPD. Is this because, instead, it
      > > contains a whole lot of Unix tools? Ie, a more "general purpose"
      > > Linux?
      >
      > Maybe. But I think this doesn't really matter, because a slug without
      > any disks attached is more or less worthless - either unslung or openslug.

      I'm slowly coming to that conclusion too. Maybe it explains some
      of the headaches I had with stock Linksys F/W: too many changes
      in disk configs. I hadn't realized that the F/W would use the
      disk for its root, I thought it was just for user data.

      > The mistake is that you did a "fdisk -l /dev/sda1

      A beginner's mistake! I've always found disk names a bit
      confusing. It looks much better with the correct command:

      Disk /dev/sda: 513 MB, 513802240 bytes
      16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 1960 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 * 1 1960 501744 e Win95 FAT16 (LBA)

      Now that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

      > > I'd like to (as a start) use a stick as memory drive. So do I just
      > > repartition it with fdisk, build the FS with mkfs, and so on?
      >
      > It depends if you want to use unslung or openslug...

      OpenSlug. So I can make a new (ext3) fs on /dev/sda without any
      big risk of zapping the device? Would I need a swap disk (in which
      case I guess I should avoid memsticks) for samba and thttpd?

      I think this NSLU2 is going to be a nice opportunity to get back
      into Linux (my last significant exposure is five years ago, ~
      RedHat 5 or so). I'm not sure whether it will be a memstick or a
      real disk yet. Not too many projects, but samba and thttpd for
      sure.

      One page mentioned that updating access times should also be
      turned off to conserve write cycles on memsticks. Haven't done
      any googling yet, but maybe someone has a quick URL.

      Tschüß (or maybe Adele?),
      Pierre
    • lew1193
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Jochen Rüter <webseiten@j...> wrote:
        > lew1193 schrieb:

        Thanks for the answers (I thought I had already posted a reply, but

        > > I flashed OpenSlug-2.5-beta-firmware.zip with no difficulty, and had
        > > Linux up and running. It was nice to feel at home and find all the
        > > usual tools. I have nearly twenty years of Unix, but unfortunately,
        > > not enough as sysadmin (and my copy of O'Reilly's "Essential System
        > > Administration" is 1996 vintage!). Still, I think I should manage.
        > >
        > > Some initial questions that came to mind. I did some browsing, but
        > > I'm still not fully oriented in the www.nslu2-linux.org pages.
        > >
        > > The openSlug image is about the same size as official LinkSys images.
        > > Yet it contains neither Samba nor HTTPD. Is this because, instead, it
        > > contains a whole lot of Unix tools? Ie, a more "general purpose"
        > > Linux?
        >
        > Maybe. But I think this doesn't really matter, because a slug without
        > any disks attached is more or less worthless - either unslung or
        openslug.

        > > If all I initially wish to do is Samba (but with better control over
        > > the problems & config), which of the samba package do I want. ipkg
        > > list gives me a few.
        > > cifs - 3.0.14a-r12 - Version 3.0.14a-r12 of package samba
        > > + kernel-module-cifs - 2.6.12.2-r6 - cifs kernel module
        > > samba - 3.0.14a-r12 - Version 3.0.14a-r12 of package samba
        > > swat - 3.0.14a-r12 - Version 3.0.14a-r12 of package samba
        > > I presume "samba - 3.0.14a-r12" ?
        >
        > right. Swat is a web based configuration utility for samba,
        > kernel-module... is self explaning i thing. what cifs is i don't know...
        >

        > > Is Samba with FAT drives to be avoided? Seems to cause network
        > > disconnections on stock Linksys F/W but also on opeNSLUg according
        > > to some messages here!?
        >
        > Yes it is. You can't copy big files to FAT drives shared by samba
        > (except if you do some samba hacking, but most people here think this
        > isn't a good idea)
        >
        > > [snip fdisk...]
        > >
        > > The partition info looks like total garbage?
        >
        > The mistake is that you did a "fdisk -l /dev/sda1
        > sda1 itself denotes already a partition, so you looked, which
        partitions
        > are in your partition :).
        > The correct command would be "fdisk -l /dev/sda, as sda denotes the
        drive.

        > > I'd like to (as a start) use a stick as memory drive. So do I just
        > > repartition it with fdisk, build the FS with mkfs, and so on?
        >
        > It depends if you want to use unslung or openslug...
        >

        > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseAMemoryStickAsMainDrive
        > > writes:
        > >
        > > To wrap things up you'll have to make sure the slug doesn't use
        > > the tiny swapspace on the stick.
        > >
        > > Why is this a bad thing? USB sticks wear out?
        >
        > Right. I think the number of writes is defined for each sector. So if
        > only one sector gets written 1000000... ?? times, this one will
        > (probably) get defect.
        >
        > Jochen
      • lew1193
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Jochen Rüter <webseiten@j...> wrote:
          > lew1193 schrieb:

          Thanks for the answers (I thought I had already posted a reply, but
          it is nowhere). And my apologies for the post just now (I hit the
          ENTER button by mistake).

          fdisk -l /dev/sda gave me the proper data! Device ids have always
          confused me.

          > Yes it is. You can't copy big files to FAT drives shared by samba
          > (except if you do some samba hacking, but most people here think
          > this isn't a good idea)

          What (briefly) is the issue, if I may ask?

          The whole discussion on memstick write wear got me a bit worried
          wrt my usage patterns. More to explore...

          > It depends if you want to use unslung or openslug...

          I've been progressing nicely. No problem formatting the
          memstick as ext2 (avoided -j because wear) and doing turnup
          on it.

          Quite an interesting exercise overall, and a nice opportunity
          to discover new things (dropbear, busybox) that are relevant to
          embedded Linux (something which could end up being useful for
          work even).

          Couple further questions (to which I haven't yet found an easy
          answer):

          1) Is there a telnetd for this box? I've seen that some
          versions of busybox come with telnetd. But not the one on
          OpenSlug. I was surprised to find no telnetd in the
          packages.

          2) I wish to install a minimum of gcc to compile C programs.
          Which of the following do I need?

          cpp - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          cpp-symlinks - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          g++ - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          g++-symlinks - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          g77 - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          g77-symlinks - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          gcc - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          gcc-doc - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          gcc-symlinks - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          gcov - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          libg2c-dev - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          libg2c0 - 3.4.4-r0 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          libgcc1 - 3.4.4-r0 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          libstdc++-dev - 3.4.4-r1 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.
          libstdc++6 - 3.4.4-r0 - The GNU cc and gcc C compilers.

          I figure at least: cpp, gcc (what are the "symlinks"
          packages for?). But which library (if any)? Is there more
          extensive descriptions of the available packages?

          3) When compiling, will I need a swap space (a file?) or will
          this be possible in the small memory of the slug?

          4) top reports "Mem: 11136K used, 19544K free". In addition,
          df reports on a tmpfs which has 15340 1K blocks total
          (15 MBytes). The sum of all three exceeds the 32MB that
          the slug is supposed to have. What am I missing? tmpfs
          is included in the numbers reported by top (ie. FS only
          grabs memory as it needs it)?. Altho I could be worng,
          I'm not supposed to have any swap (I certainly have no
          swap partition).

          Tia,
          Pierre
        • Chacko
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
            I read the following in a FAQ: If using a memory stick, `touch /.ext3flash' to let the system know not to hammer the flash memory and wear it out (note that /var/ is on ramfs so all logs are lost on reboot).

            I have a 512MB flash, configured as the harddisk on DISK1 and unlung to it. By adding the above file, and rebooting, I do not see any difference in operation. How do I determine if /var/ is mounted on ramfs? [My linux experience is minimal].

            Cordially, CN