Can not access Linksys Web Based configuration utility

  • erliban
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hi, everyone, I just bought a used NSLU2 on ebay but am having some
      trouble:

      I installed everything according to the instruction. Now I can "see"
      the NSLU2 on "my network places", I can transfer files to the drive I
      attached to NSLU2, I can ping the NSLU2 using CMD window.

      However, when I try to access the linksys web-based configuration
      utility by type in the IP address (192.168.1.77) in my browser (I
      tried both IE and firefox), I always get the "connection was refused
      by ...192.168.1.77" message. Remember that I can ping the exact same
      address successfully.

      I suspect the previous owner did something to the NSLU2 but since I
      bought it on ebay, I can't really get any response from him.

      So my question is, how do I know what firmware is in it? How do I go
      to a known factory setting?

      One more piece of information: when I look into the NSLU2 in "My
      Network Places", I see three folders:

      the drive I attached (Disk1),
      Admin1

      and

      Printers and Faxes

      is the "Printers and Faxes" suppose to be there?

      Thanks in advance!
    • Kai Steinbach
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi erliban,

        I suspect the previous owner changed the port number of the web
        interface to something different than 80. Try a few suspicious ports

        http://192.168.1.77:80/ (default)
        http://192.168.1.77:1080/
        http://192.168.1.77:8000/
        http://192.168.1.77:8080/

        If this all fails, next step is to port scan the IP to see what ports
        are open. If you never done this before, I would recommend to go for
        SuperScan from here:
        http://www.foundstone.com/resources/termsofuse.htm?file=superscan4.zip&warn=true
        Then you have the port and put a URL together like the few above.
        Remember to put the "http://" as depending on IE it only does it
        automatically if there is a "www." in the beginning of the address.

        Once you are on the web interface, you'll be able to find what firmware it runs.

        Ignore the "Printers and Faxes" ... ;-)

        Good luck. Kai
      • Kai He
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
          Thanks Kai, I tried those ports but they didn't work either. I used the
          portscan you mentioned and got result like this:

          IP 192.168.1.1 (This is my router)
          Hostname [Unknown]
          UDP Ports (1)
          53 Domain Name Server
          UDP Port Banner
          53
          Domain Name Server

          BIND version:
          BIND

          IP 192.168.1.77 (This is NSLU2)
          Hostname [Unknown]
          Netbios Name MAGSERV
          Workgroup/Domain HOME
          UDP Ports (1)
          137 NETBIOS Name Service
          UDP Port Banner
          137
          NETBIOS Name Service

          MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          NIC Vendor : Xerox Corporation

          Netbios Name Table (5 names)

          MAGSERV 00 UNIQUE Workstation service name
          MAGSERV 03 UNIQUE Messenger name
          MAGSERV 20 UNIQUE Server services name
          HOME 00 GROUP Workstation service name
          HOME 1E GROUP Group name

          Total hosts discovered 3
          Total open TCP ports 0
          Total open UDP ports 2

          But I don't know where the port number is, I tried 137 but it did not work.
          Should it be TCP ports? Thanks.

          --- Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@...> wrote:

          > Hi erliban,
          >
          > I suspect the previous owner changed the port number of the web
          > interface to something different than 80. Try a few suspicious ports
          >
          > http://192.168.1.77:80/ (default)
          > http://192.168.1.77:1080/
          > http://192.168.1.77:8000/
          > http://192.168.1.77:8080/
          >
          > If this all fails, next step is to port scan the IP to see what ports
          > are open. If you never done this before, I would recommend to go for
          > SuperScan from here:

          http://www.foundstone.com/resources/termsofuse.htm?file=superscan4.zip&warn=true
          > Then you have the port and put a URL together like the few above.
          > Remember to put the "http://" as depending on IE it only does it
          > automatically if there is a "www." in the beginning of the address.
          >
          > Once you are on the web interface, you'll be able to find what firmware it
          > runs.
          >
          > Ignore the "Printers and Faxes" ... ;-)
          >
          > Good luck. Kai

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Kai He
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
            Also, I actually used the Sercomm tool mention on www.nslu2-linux.org to flash
            the firmware to the latest download from Linksys (2363) and still got the same
            behavior. I thought firmware flash will reset everything?

            Thanks.

            --- Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@...> wrote:

            > Hi erliban,
            >
            > I suspect the previous owner changed the port number of the web
            > interface to something different than 80. Try a few suspicious ports
            >
            > http://192.168.1.77:80/ (default)
            > http://192.168.1.77:1080/
            > http://192.168.1.77:8000/
            > http://192.168.1.77:8080/
            >
            > If this all fails, next step is to port scan the IP to see what ports
            > are open. If you never done this before, I would recommend to go for
            > SuperScan from here:

            http://www.foundstone.com/resources/termsofuse.htm?file=superscan4.zip&warn=true
            > Then you have the port and put a URL together like the few above.
            > Remember to put the "http://" as depending on IE it only does it
            > automatically if there is a "www." in the beginning of the address.
            >
            > Once you are on the web interface, you'll be able to find what firmware it
            > runs.
            >
            > Ignore the "Printers and Faxes" ... ;-)
            >
            > Good luck. Kai

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Byron Todd
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
              ResetSysConf is what you want to do. Something in the configuration
              is keeping you from accessing the admin pages - a reflash of firmware
              will not touch the SysConf. But be forewarned, resetting the sys conf
              will set you back to "clean" Linksys defaults.

              Search the wiki for the HowTo page.

              Byron

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kai He <erliban@y...> wrote:
              > Also, I actually used the Sercomm tool mention on
              www.nslu2-linux.org to flash
              > the firmware to the latest download from Linksys (2363) and still
              got the same
              > behavior. I thought firmware flash will reset everything?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > --- Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@g...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi erliban,

              [snip]
            • Petr
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
                It is SLUG's normal behavior. Even you re-flash the firmware, the
                network setting remain the same as was before re-flashing.
                KH> Also, I actually used the Sercomm tool mention on www.nslu2-linux.org to flash
                KH> the firmware to the latest download from Linksys (2363) and still got the same
                KH> behavior. I thought firmware flash will reset everything?
                KH>
                KH> Thanks.
                KH>
                KH> --- Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@...> wrote:
                KH>
                >> Hi erliban,
                >>
                >> I suspect the previous owner changed the port number of the web
                >> interface to something different than 80. Try a few suspicious ports
                >>
                >> http://192.168.1.77:80/ (default)
                >> http://192.168.1.77:1080/
                >> http://192.168.1.77:8000/
                >> http://192.168.1.77:8080/
                >>
                >> If this all fails, next step is to port scan the IP to see what ports
                >> are open. If you never done this before, I would recommend to go for
                >> SuperScan from here:
                >>

                KH> http://www.foundstone.com/resources/termsofuse.htm?file=superscan4.zip&warn=true
                >> Then you have the port and put a URL together like the few above.
                >> Remember to put the "http://" as depending on IE it only does it
                >> automatically if there is a "www." in the beginning of the address.
                >>
                >> Once you are on the web interface, you'll be able to find what firmware it
                >> runs.
                >>
                >> Ignore the "Printers and Faxes" ... ;-)
                >>
                >> Good luck. Kai
              • Kai He
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Thanks Byron, the ResetSysConf seems to be a daunting task for me but I'll give
                  it a try tonight.

                  --- Byron Todd <byrontodd@...> wrote:

                  > ResetSysConf is what you want to do. Something in the configuration
                  > is keeping you from accessing the admin pages - a reflash of firmware
                  > will not touch the SysConf. But be forewarned, resetting the sys conf
                  > will set you back to "clean" Linksys defaults.
                  >
                  > Search the wiki for the HowTo page.
                  >
                  > Byron
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kai He <erliban@y...> wrote:
                  > > Also, I actually used the Sercomm tool mention on
                  > www.nslu2-linux.org to flash
                  > > the firmware to the latest download from Linksys (2363) and still
                  > got the same
                  > > behavior. I thought firmware flash will reset everything?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > --- Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi erliban,
                  >
                  > [snip]

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Kai He
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Well, I tried ResetSysConf (I think I succeeded, I saw the "... Erase from
                    0x50040000-0x50060000: . " message), everything seems to be the same :-(

                    Is it possible something on my network (not the NSLU2) is causing this problem?
                    I tried disabling windows firewall but it does not seem to make a difference.
                    I'm running Windows XP.

                    --- Byron Todd <byrontodd@...> wrote:

                    > ResetSysConf is what you want to do. Something in the configuration
                    > is keeping you from accessing the admin pages - a reflash of firmware
                    > will not touch the SysConf. But be forewarned, resetting the sys conf
                    > will set you back to "clean" Linksys defaults.
                    >
                    > Search the wiki for the HowTo page.
                    >
                    > Byron
                    >
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kai He <erliban@y...> wrote:
                    > > Also, I actually used the Sercomm tool mention on
                    > www.nslu2-linux.org to flash
                    > > the firmware to the latest download from Linksys (2363) and still
                    > got the same
                    > > behavior. I thought firmware flash will reset everything?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > --- Kai Steinbach <kai.steinbach@g...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hi erliban,
                    >
                    > [snip]

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Robert Hammond
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2005
                      In message <20050902035605.86148.qmail@...>, Kai He
                      <erliban@...> writes
                      >Well, I tried ResetSysConf (I think I succeeded, I saw the "... Erase from
                      >0x50040000-0x50060000: . " message), everything seems to be the same :-(
                      >
                      >Is it possible something on my network (not the NSLU2) is causing this problem?
                      >I tried disabling windows firewall but it does not seem to make a difference.
                      >I'm running Windows XP.

                      Also check out the settings under
                      Control Panel,
                      Internet Settings,
                      Connections,
                      LAN settings,

                      Having a tick in any of the three tick boxes can cause problems so
                      suggest removing them. If you do need a tick in the proxy server box,
                      perhaps needed by your ISP, then add 192.168.*; to the exceptions
                      section.

                      --
                      Robert Hammond
                      PGP:0x154144DA