Just some thoughts on the NSLU2

  • peecock41
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      I thought I share a few of my thoughts here, maybe food for thoughts?

      Considering the fact that the NSLU2 took off like this, with a very
      active developers group, it is surprising that Linksys themselves
      brought out there last firmware already two months ago. I'm sure they
      must realise by now that they have a winner here. This little box
      brings back the 'do-it yourself' spirit in many of us, a bit like the
      good-old 8-bit homecomputers of the eighties. It's now marketed as a
      NAS, but shows it's more versatile.

      The unit shows that 'bigger is better' isn't always necessary. There's
      a definite need for little (tiny and cheap) computers like these.

      A successor (not necessarily made by Linksys): with the same processor
      on a higher clockspeed (533 MHz), 256 MB memory, general purpose USB
      ports, use all two ethernet ports on the processor (use as firewall!)
      or even be bold and add a 1.5/4 GB corniche harddisk.

      A.