Re: Slooooow mp3 streams

  • philip_rosati
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
      Actually, in case anyone is interested, not only did I have the slow
      streaming problem, but any time I would double click My Computer (on
      any of my computers that I have the slug mapped as a drive) the
      Windows GUI would stall. Also, if I'd go to save a file in
      Word/Excel/any program, when I'd browse to the slug, the program
      would crash. I tried rebooting the slug, but that didn't work.
      Also, UPNP was disabled on both the slug and my WRT54G. I finally
      decided to try the unslung firmware (5[1].5 BETA) and it fixed
      everything. Well, everything except for the issue with my slug
      falling 15 minutes behind every 20 minutes or so. So it makes me
      wonder what was wrong with the Linksys firmware. I got it from
      their site, but the only thing I can think of is its lineage: work
      computer>>jumpdrive>>laptop>>slug via wi-fi. Maybe somewhere down
      the line it got corrupted???? If that's the case, I would have
      thought that the firmware flash wouldn't have went fine (which it
      did). So, now I'm happier with the slug. Actually, I'm very happy,
      because I can also stream my 700MB video files to my wifi laptop.
      As long as it can do that and it doesn't crash my workstations, I'm
      happy. I just feel bad for anyone with the same problem who isn't
      aware of unslung.

      Thanks everyone for the replies, though, and maybe someone has a
      conjecture as to why the issues with the Linksys firmware?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "monkeyisland2005"
      <abelhv@g...> wrote:
      > If you have this problem with other MP3 players, you would test
      the
      > network speed between NSLU2 and your WIFI computer.
      >
      > Le-Chuck
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
      > <fransmeulenbroeks@y...> wrote:
      > > Philip,
      > >
      > > You should first check if this also happens with other MP3
      players
      > > (e.g. winamp).
      > > If not this is a buffering issue in WMP (and MS is to blame).
      > > I've never seen this problem, but I must admit I rarely do
      playback
      > > over wifi.
      > >
      > > FM
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "philip_rosati"
      > > <philip_rosati@y...> wrote:
      > > > So I've got the latest linksys firmware (r63), a rosewill
      > external
      > > > enclosure with a brand new Hitachi 250GB drive. It's 12%
      full.
      > > can
      > > > put up with slow file transfers (after all, it was only $80),
      but
      > > when
      > > > I try to play an mp3 on the slug from my laptop (over a G-
      only,
      > > WRT54G-
      > > > driven network), the file starts to play for 3 seconds,
      Windows
      > Media
      > > > Player stops responding and the file stops playing for about
      15-
      > 20
      > > > seconds, then it starts playing fine. This can't be normal.
      The