RE: [nslu2-general] Re: Disk Status - Not Installed

  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...> wrote:
      > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
      > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is no
      > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
      > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
      > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is with
      > > the NSLU2(s)
      >
      > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
      > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
      > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
      > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot -
      > boom.

      This has happened twice with my Maxtor 160GB enclosure. Maybe the chipset is
      adding to the problem, but it's not the source of the problem.

      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      Carpe Diem - "Seize the Day"
      Funstuff: * Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.
    • hdouglas64
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
        Not solved the problem here yet, I bought 4 of these enclosures,
        thankfully they were reasonably cheap. I am waiting to see which
        enclosure to go for next, I will then buy 1 and try for a month to
        check reliability before adding more drives.

        I am not yet convinced that it is just the chipset causing the
        problems, I suspect there may be other issues yet to be
        discovered/solved.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pompeysteve2002"
        <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
        wrote:
        > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
        > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
        no
        > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
        > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
        > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
        with
        > > the NSLU2(s)
        >
        > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's
        the
        > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
        > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
        > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next
        reboot -
        > boom.
        >
        > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
        >
        > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
        > success in eliminating this problem?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Steve
      • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
          Have to admit, haven't seen these problems at all on unSLUNG modified
          kernel.

          Would advise that you spend just a little time and gain telnet access
          (see http://egroup.com/group/nslu2-linux and the howtos on
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/). There are only a few commands needed to
          validate the data and re-export the mount point from the NSLU2.

          Worth your time, especially since the ordering of multiple USB
          hardware enclosures isn't solving your problem !

          Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
          PS - sorry to use this ungodly sneakemail address, but I have been
          getting spam from my registration to this eGroup. Time to take it to
          private or perhaps moderator approval for joining.
        • panyk
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
            I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based on
            a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the nslu2,
            format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
            try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
            .avi) the nslu2 locks up. I restart it and it shows no disks present
            though the indicator light on the front for that drive is lit. If i
            attach the thing on my windows xp machine i can see 3 partitions, and
            using the ext2fsd driver i can mount it under windows and view the
            contents of the drive exactly as i copied them into place. If i
            delete all the partitions and reconnect it again detects the drive as
            present and not formatted and i start the cycle again. Have tried
            this with two different drives in the same enclosure an old 80gb ibm
            deskstar and a new 250gb western digital caviar both with the same
            result using both the disk1 and disk2 connection. Add to this that i
            have already had to replace the nslu2 once because of a bad firmware
            upgrade (also because of the same problem with the enclosure i think).
            I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based on
            the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
            enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

            <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
            wrote:
            > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
            > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
            no
            > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
            > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
            > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
            with
            > > the NSLU2(s)
            >
            > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
            > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
            > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
            > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot
            -
            > boom.
            >
            > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
            >
            > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
            > success in eliminating this problem?
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Steve
          • pompeysteve2002
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "panyk" <panyk@y...> wrote:
              > I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based
              on
              > a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the
              nslu2,
              > format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
              > try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
              > .avi) the nslu2 locks up.

              [..snip..]

              > I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based
              on
              > the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
              > enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

              Hi,

              I received my new enclosure yesterday - a Metal Gear Box (Silver with
              Blue LED) from http://www.specialtech.co.uk which uses the Prolific
              chipset, and has been running like a dream so far! Unslung ok, copied
              a few gigs across and also run a media server to my DVD player on it!
              (http://www.sourceforget.net/projects/dp500serv)

              I was also thinking of getting a Bytecc enclosure (ME-350U2 I think,
              it has a rainbow light on the top) but plumped for the Metal Gear as
              I knew this used the PL chipset which seems to have the fewest
              problems so far.

              Steve