Re: Disk Status - Not Installed

  • pompeysteve2002
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...> wrote:
      > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
      > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is no
      > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
      > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
      > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is with
      > the NSLU2(s)

      I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
      same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
      reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
      partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot -
      boom.

      Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.

      I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
      success in eliminating this problem?

      Regards

      Steve
    • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...> wrote:
        > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
        > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is no
        > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
        > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
        > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is with
        > > the NSLU2(s)
        >
        > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
        > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
        > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
        > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot -
        > boom.

        This has happened twice with my Maxtor 160GB enclosure. Maybe the chipset is
        adding to the problem, but it's not the source of the problem.

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
        Carpe Diem - "Seize the Day"
        Funstuff: * Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.
      • hdouglas64
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
          Not solved the problem here yet, I bought 4 of these enclosures,
          thankfully they were reasonably cheap. I am waiting to see which
          enclosure to go for next, I will then buy 1 and try for a month to
          check reliability before adding more drives.

          I am not yet convinced that it is just the chipset causing the
          problems, I suspect there may be other issues yet to be
          discovered/solved.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pompeysteve2002"
          <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
          wrote:
          > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
          > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
          no
          > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
          > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
          > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
          with
          > > the NSLU2(s)
          >
          > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's
          the
          > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
          > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
          > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next
          reboot -
          > boom.
          >
          > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
          >
          > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
          > success in eliminating this problem?
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Steve
        • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
            Have to admit, haven't seen these problems at all on unSLUNG modified
            kernel.

            Would advise that you spend just a little time and gain telnet access
            (see http://egroup.com/group/nslu2-linux and the howtos on
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/). There are only a few commands needed to
            validate the data and re-export the mount point from the NSLU2.

            Worth your time, especially since the ordering of multiple USB
            hardware enclosures isn't solving your problem !

            Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
            PS - sorry to use this ungodly sneakemail address, but I have been
            getting spam from my registration to this eGroup. Time to take it to
            private or perhaps moderator approval for joining.
          • panyk
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
              I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based on
              a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the nslu2,
              format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
              try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
              .avi) the nslu2 locks up. I restart it and it shows no disks present
              though the indicator light on the front for that drive is lit. If i
              attach the thing on my windows xp machine i can see 3 partitions, and
              using the ext2fsd driver i can mount it under windows and view the
              contents of the drive exactly as i copied them into place. If i
              delete all the partitions and reconnect it again detects the drive as
              present and not formatted and i start the cycle again. Have tried
              this with two different drives in the same enclosure an old 80gb ibm
              deskstar and a new 250gb western digital caviar both with the same
              result using both the disk1 and disk2 connection. Add to this that i
              have already had to replace the nslu2 once because of a bad firmware
              upgrade (also because of the same problem with the enclosure i think).
              I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based on
              the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
              enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

              <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
              wrote:
              > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
              > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
              no
              > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
              > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
              > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
              with
              > > the NSLU2(s)
              >
              > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
              > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
              > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
              > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot
              -
              > boom.
              >
              > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
              >
              > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
              > success in eliminating this problem?
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Steve
            • pompeysteve2002
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "panyk" <panyk@y...> wrote:
                > I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based
                on
                > a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the
                nslu2,
                > format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
                > try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
                > .avi) the nslu2 locks up.

                [..snip..]

                > I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based
                on
                > the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
                > enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

                Hi,

                I received my new enclosure yesterday - a Metal Gear Box (Silver with
                Blue LED) from http://www.specialtech.co.uk which uses the Prolific
                chipset, and has been running like a dream so far! Unslung ok, copied
                a few gigs across and also run a media server to my DVD player on it!
                (http://www.sourceforget.net/projects/dp500serv)

                I was also thinking of getting a Bytecc enclosure (ME-350U2 I think,
                it has a rainbow light on the top) but plumped for the Metal Gear as
                I knew this used the PL chipset which seems to have the fewest
                problems so far.

                Steve