Re: simple iTunes setup instructions?

  • danny15boy
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
      Tim -

      Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
      far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
      root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
      longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

      Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
      have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

      Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:

      -------

      Linksys_NAS login: root
      Password:
      : No such file or directory

      Connection to host lost.

      Press any key to continue...

      -----------

      When I had '/root' instead of '/' the message was:

      -----------

      Linksys_NAS login: root
      Password:
      No directory, logging in with HOME=/

      Connection to host lost.

      Press any key to continue...

      ---------

      Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

      Dan

      ============

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
      > danny15boy wrote:
      > > root:scHg2Srkw7m0w:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
      >
      > The "/root" directory exists, right? It doesn't exist
      > on an unmodified slug, and I thought that unslung didn't
      > create if by default yet (I could be wrong).
      >
      > If it doesn't exist, just change the 6th field above to
      > "/", and try again.
      >
      > > At this point the NSLU2 dropped the Telnet session.
      >
      > Dropped? You didn't get another login prompt?
      > Did it print any messages?
      >
      > - Tim
    • Ned LaWarre
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
        I have the mt-daapd installed using the ipkg command. Now what? I am using
        winXP. I can see nslu2/admin_1/public and nslu2/disk_1 directories. No other
        directories tho. What do I do now?

        _____

        Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
        far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
        root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
        longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

        Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
        have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

        Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:

        -------

        Linksys_NAS login: root
        Password:
        : No such file or directory

        Connection to host lost.

        Press any key to continue...

        -----------

        When I had '/root' instead of '/' the message was:

        -----------

        Linksys_NAS login: root
        Password:
        No directory, logging in with HOME=/

        Connection to host lost.

        Press any key to continue...

        ---------

        Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

        Dan

        ============

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
        > danny15boy wrote:
        > > root:scHg2Srkw7m0w:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
        >
        > The "/root" directory exists, right? It doesn't exist
        > on an unmodified slug, and I thought that unslung didn't
        > create if by default yet (I could be wrong).
        >
        > If it doesn't exist, just change the 6th field above to
        > "/", and try again.
        >
        > > At this point the NSLU2 dropped the Telnet session.
        >
        > Dropped? You didn't get another login prompt?
        > Did it print any messages?
        >
        > - Tim

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12989utbv/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1096768899/A=2368837/R=0/SIG=11tdf3rom/*http:/www.n
        etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185370&partid=5285298%20> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2368837/rand=713827990>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Tim Lewis
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
          danny15boy wrote:
          > Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
          > far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
          > root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
          > longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

          Right, because Unslung uses the password that it finds on the drive.

          > Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
          > have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

          Well, from your login attempts, it appears /root doesn't exist.
          This shouldn't be a problem (i.e. you should still be able to log in).

          > Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:
          > Linksys_NAS login: root
          > Password:
          > No directory, logging in with HOME=/
          >

          > Connection to host lost.

          This is strange, because at this point you should have a prompt.
          I modified my configuration to "/root" (which doesn't exist on
          my box), just to check, and it did give my a root prompt.

          > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

          What are you using to edit the file? You need to use an editor
          that preserves the UNIX line endings. I'm guessing that there's
          a Windows line ending in there screwing something up. Textpad
          (http://www.textpad.com) is an editor that will preserve the
          line endings.

          Probably the easiest solution if you don't have any files on the
          disk yet is to wipe the disk, and unsling it again. That way you
          can log in with the uNSLUng password and change the password on
          the box itself.

          However, if you have files on the drive, you can instead copy the
          default passwd file from unslung to your configuration, and
          log in with the uNSLUng password. To do this, boot the NSLU2 with
          just an empty flash drive attached. Since your hard drive isn't
          mounted, the unslung will boot with its default configuration.
          Now copy the /etc/passwd file to the flash drive with
          "cp /etc/passwd /share/flash/data". Now turn off the NSLU2, plug
          the flash drive into your computer copy the file to your
          configuration, and tar the configuration back up. Plug the drive
          back into your NSLU2, turn it on, and and install the configuration
          using the admin web pages. You should now be able to telnet into the
          box with the uNSLUng password. This method will wipe out any users
          you created, but will preserve your data. If you keep your old
          password file, you can restore the users with vi once you telnet
          into the NSLU2.

          Another way to modifiy the password is to mount the drive on
          a Linux machine and change the password there (i.e. the "classic"
          method). This is a little more difficult, but at least you don't
          have to worry about the line endings. If you don't have a Linux
          machine, you can use a "Live CD" like Knoppix to boot Linux
          without installing Linux on your hard drive. Assmuing that your
          drive is on /dev/sda (which is probably is with no other scsi, usb,
          or firewire drives plugged in), you'll see something like this from
          "fdisk -l /dev/sda".

          Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 24792 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

          Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sda1 1 24770 198964993+ 83 Linux
          /dev/sda2 24771 24785 120487+ 83 Linux
          /dev/sda3 24786 24792 56227+ 82 Linux swap

          The password file is on the second partition on the drive
          (i.e. the one that's about 113M, "/dev/sda2"). The first
          partition is your data and the third is swap. Simply mount
          the second partition, cd to the directory, and edit the passwd
          file.

          I hope this helps.

          - Tim
        • danny15boy
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
            Finally found out what was stopping me from Telneting in.

            I was modifying the password file in the config.tar, but leaving it
            as 'password.txt' and not replacing the existing password file.
            (duh...)

            Once I deleted the original password file, renamed password.txt to
            just password, re-tar'd everything and uploaded to the slug, I was
            able to telnet!

            Thanks also to Bcoombs for the awesome Mt-daapd HowTo. I have the
            server running, and am now working through the troubleshooting area.
            (I can see the server in my iTunes, but no music.)

            Thanks everyone.

            Dan