Permission Controlled Access to shares from Windows XP Pro

  • Douglas Bush
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
      Folks,

      I'm trying to set up my NSLU2 to have permission controlled access
      to shares.

      Specifically, I only want myself to have Read\Write access to
      shares, but all other clients should have Read only access.

      I'm planning to get an MP3 player running using Linux\Samba.

      So far, I've only been able to get the default 'everyone' log in to
      work with the NSLU2. (Failed logins = guest is enabled.) I have not
      been in any way able to create a user ID, and log in as that user on
      the NSLU2 from Windows XP Pro.

      Is there any way to get password controlled access to these shares
      to work from Windows XP Pro?

      Maybe I'm just thinking old school. I've used Windows ME with samba
      a few years ago, and I recall that I had to disable password
      encryption on windows as an easy solution....

      Please? Any takers?
    • Ian White
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2004
        I have exactly this set up working just fine.

        Specifically my NSLU2+LaCie drive are now acting as a central
        file server

        I explicitly do *NOT* rely upon guest:everyone access to the share(s)

        Instead I have created one share per user
        (and thus one group per user)

        I have then granted read+write access to each share to the "owning"
        group but only read-access the other group(s)

        Then when I try and access the share Windows XP detects
        that it is not allowed "anonymous" (i.e. "guest" access)
        and then prompts for a username+password (which it
        also offers to remember in its password cache for the currently
        logged-on XP user). You obviously have to use the username+password
        that you set up on the NSLU2, not your XP username+password

        I actually *do* use some element of guest access
        because I have some shares (like MP3s) that I allow anyone/everyone
        access to

        I think the major trick here is to temporarily remove all "guest"
        access while you get the NSLU2 to force XP to prompt for
        username+password to be used

        Cheers
        Ian W.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Bush"