Can't log in to restricted shares ...

  • bodikp
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2005
      I just set up my NSLU2 and can log in to public shares, but not to
      private ones. I go to \\link\share, type in 'guest' and empty password
      and everything works.

      I go to \\link\user, type in user and password and I can't log in. I
      see the share ok in the web interface.

      The NSLU2 is sitting in workgroup HOME, so I even tried loggin in as
      HOME\user, but didn't work.

      I've seen somewhere, that I need to be logged in to windows as the
      user I want to access in NSLU2 ... ??? That seems really silly.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks a lot,
      Peter
    • Philip Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
        On 26 Aug 2005, at 16:56, bodikp wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I just set up my NSLU2 and can log in to public shares, but not to
        > private ones. I go to \\link\share, type in 'guest' and empty password
        > and everything works.
        >
        > I go to \\link\user, type in user and password and I can't log in. I
        > see the share ok in the web interface.
        >
        > The NSLU2 is sitting in workgroup HOME, so I even tried loggin in as
        > HOME\user, but didn't work.

        I've found that Windows doesn't like utilizing two username and
        password combinations at the same time.
        Whenever you access a share (in XP anyway) it mounts it even though
        it's invisible to the user. Even if you close the share's window,
        you're still connected.

        There is a option in one of the menus somewhere to dismount connected
        shares, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. Anyway,
        workaround is to login with a 'proper'/authorized user first, because
        you'll still be able to access the shares that guest can.

        > I've seen somewhere, that I need to be logged in to windows as the
        > user I want to access in NSLU2 ... ??? That seems really silly.

        Nope you don't, but if your windows username and password == a vaild
        nslu2 username and password you won't get prompted.

        > Thanks a lot,
        > Peter

        Hope that helps Peter, feel free to give me a buzz back if you're
        still experiencing problems.

        Regards,
        --
        Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey)
        +44 (0)20 7870 2206
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
          Hiya

          On 27/08/05, Philip Johnson <plasticmonkey@...> wrote:
          > On 26 Aug 2005, at 16:56, bodikp wrote:
          > > I just set up my NSLU2 and can log in to public shares, but not to
          > > private ones. I go to \\link\share, type in 'guest' and empty password
          > > and everything works.
          > >
          > > I go to \\link\user, type in user and password and I can't log in. I
          > > see the share ok in the web interface.
          >
          > I've found that Windows doesn't like utilizing two username and
          > password combinations at the same time.
          > Whenever you access a share (in XP anyway) it mounts it even though
          > it's invisible to the user. Even if you close the share's window,
          > you're still connected.

          yep, Philip, when reading bodikp's mail I was thinking this too.

          > There is a option in one of the menus somewhere to dismount connected
          > shares, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

          I usually go to cmd.exe and type "net use". It shows the status of all
          remote UNC locations, and if they are mapped to a drive (Z: etc) or
          simply accessed *without* the mapping. Then I can type "net use
          \\slug\share /delete" to get them disconnected. In oder to trigger a
          new password prompt, all connections to the same server (slug) neet to
          be /delete'd.

          HTH - Kai
        • Philip Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
            On 27 Aug 2005, at 15:28, Kai Steinbach wrote:
            [snip]

            > I usually go to cmd.exe and type "net use". It shows the status of all
            > remote UNC locations, and if they are mapped to a drive (Z: etc) or
            > simply accessed *without* the mapping. Then I can type "net use
            > \\slug\share /delete" to get them disconnected. In oder to trigger a
            > new password prompt, all connections to the same server (slug) neet to
            > be /delete'd.
            >
            > HTH - Kai

            Yip yip :) - I'm not sure why Windows will only permit one username
            and password - I'm pretty sure that I can mount shares utilizing
            multiple logins using Samba on various boxes.

            Peter, if this solves your problem would you mind please adding it to
            the FAQ?
            I'm pretty sure quite a few other people will have come across this
            problem.

            Regards,

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2005
              > Yip yip :) - I'm not sure why Windows will only permit one username
              > and password - I'm pretty sure that I can mount shares utilizing
              > multiple logins using Samba on various boxes.
              >
              > Peter, if this solves your problem would you mind please adding it to
              > the FAQ?
              > I'm pretty sure quite a few other people will have come across this
              > problem.

              What do you mean "this solves your problem"? Has anybody recommended a
              solution?

              How do you use multiple logins?

              Windows has to be able to use different logins ... For example, I
              mount drives at my school, that have different password and it works
              just fine.

              Would it help if I put the NSLU2 to a different domain or something
              like that?

              Thanks,
              Peter
            • Kai Steinbach
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28, 2005
                Peter,

                On 28/08/05, bodikp <bodikp.web@...> wrote:
                [snip]
                > What do you mean "this solves your problem"? Has anybody recommended a
                > solution?
                >
                > How do you use multiple logins?

                Sorry, it wasn't made very explicit. To get going with your own
                example of \\link\share (guest) and \\link\user - simply start with
                the second one and authenticate with the user share appropriately.
                THEN go to to \\link\share and see if it works without promting you
                again. The trick is, that this one user has access rights to the guest
                share, too.

                In general, the behaviour seen on Windows here is similar with a
                Unix/Linux NIS environments. The idea is, that rather than managing
                multiple accounts and password, you should ideally have only one pair
                of credentials. Makes sense?

                Kai