no-ip utility

  • r0ger
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 18 2:16 PM
      I'm a user of the no-ip service, a free DDNS service. As I would like
      to ' eliminate' the PC using only this sw from my lan in order to post
      my IP I'm interested to understand if someone has been able to:

      - compile this utility on his NSLU2,
      - use it

      and ...

      if can send me a copy of the binary of this utility

      thanks

      PS I have already tried to contact some people that in this group has
      posted messages about this topic without receive a response :-(
    • rndilger
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19 5:15 AM
        > I'm a user of the no-ip service, a free DDNS service. As I would
        > like to ' eliminate' the PC using only this sw from my lan in order

        > to post my IP I'm interested to understand if someone has been able
        > to:
        > - compile this utility on his NSLU2,
        > - use it

        I am also very interested in such a script/utility. Is someone
        willing to work on this task?

        Thanks,

        Ryan
      • Dave Bixler
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 19 5:18 AM
          I have one that I wrote that uses dyndns. It's a simple PHP script that
          I can forward along if you want to look at it.

          --Dave

          rndilger wrote:

          >>I'm a user of the no-ip service, a free DDNS service. As I would
          >>like to ' eliminate' the PC using only this sw from my lan in order
          >>

          >>to post my IP I'm interested to understand if someone has been able
          >>to:
          >>- compile this utility on his NSLU2,
          >>- use it
          >>

          >I am also very interested in such a script/utility. Is someone
          >willing to work on this task?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Ryan
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • rndilger
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 19 5:40 AM
            > I have one that I wrote that uses dyndns. It's a simple PHP script
            > that I can forward along if you want to look at it.

            Thanks for the quick response. I've already implemented the script
            for DynDNS as instructed in the wiki. However, I would prefer to use
            the no-ip service if possible.

            Ryan
          • Rod Whitby
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 19 6:07 AM
              On 8/19/05, rndilger <rdilger2@...> wrote:
              > I am also very interested in such a script/utility. Is someone
              > willing to work on this task?

              I've added the noip client version 2.1.1 package to the Optware/nslu2
              and Optware/wl500g feeds. They should be propagated to the mirrors
              within 30 minutes.

              All I know is that it builds. Someone else will need to work out how
              to configure it and cause it to start automatically, as I have no way
              of testing it. When you do, make sure the package is updated so that
              everyone who uses it doesn't have to work it out for themselves.

              -- Rod
            • Dale VanZile
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 20 12:34 AM
                rndilger wrote:

                > > I'm a user of the no-ip service, a free DDNS service. As I would
                > > like to ' eliminate' the PC using only this sw from my lan in order
                >
                > > to post my IP I'm interested to understand if someone has been able
                > > to:
                > > - compile this utility on his NSLU2,
                > > - use it
                >
                > I am also very interested in such a script/utility. Is someone
                > willing to work on this task?

                I've started on a script, as shown here:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpYourOwnStaticLinkToYourSiteAtADynamicIP

                It works well as-is with an ASP page on a remote site showing the IP.
                I've got it currently updating a file on my web hosting site with my
                current IP, as well as rewriting my httpd.conf and webalizer.conf files
                to reflect my current IP.

                It needs an expect expert to finish it up so the IP can be obtained from
                a password-protected page on my router. I don't have the time to devote
                to it right now, or I'd be working on it. Once that's working, it
                should be easy work to duplicate and modify it to post that IP to a
                domain's online setup service page....

                HTH!

                C ya,
                Dutch
              • Roy M. Silvernail
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 20 1:01 AM
                  Quoting Dale VanZile <vlad.zeanile@...>:

                  > I've started on a script, as shown here:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpYourOwnStaticLinkToYourSiteAtADynamicIP

                  > It works well as-is with an ASP page on a remote site showing the IP.

                  FWIW, some DSL providers double-NAT you. Cinci Bell/Fuse, for example, hands my
                  router a 10.x.x.x address, while presenting a publicly routable address to the
                  greater internet. In this case, checking my IP from an outside source is
                  essential.

                  I set up a CGI on my hosted site to report the requesting IP address. I think I
                  can afford a little extra bandwidth, so Sluggers are welcome to use it. In a
                  shell script, grab your current IP like this:

                  THISADDR=`wget -qO - http://www.rant-central.com/cgi-bin/rat.cgi`
                  --
                  Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                  "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 20 2:29 AM
                    Hello,

                    a good and general way to determine a publically visible IP address (even
                    if you pass through several NAT boxes as described before) is
                    STUN (Simple Traversal of UDP over NAT, RFC 3489)
                    which is utilized by quite a number of VoIP providers.
                    Client as well as server software is available at
                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/stun/
                    There are quite a number of continously working STUN servers that will
                    answer queries. (check e.g. FWD - Free world dialup, sipgate.de, ...)

                    The approach is more general than querying (e.g. by means of UPnP or a
                    proprietary interface) your own NAT router and will also work if there are
                    more NAT boxes in the upstream.

                    best regards
                    Ralf

                    Dr. Ralf Ackermann _ rac@...-darmstadt.de
                    Multimedia Communications |/ | | |\/| Merckstrasse 25
                    |\ |_| | | 64283 Darmstadt, Germany
                    Tel.: (+49) 6151 16-6138 Fax: (+49) 6151 16-6152
                    http://www.kom.tu-darmstadt.de/~rac
                  • Dale VanZile
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 20 8:44 AM
                      Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

                      > FWIW, some DSL providers double-NAT you. Cinci Bell/Fuse, for
                      > example, hands my
                      > router a 10.x.x.x address, while presenting a publicly routable
                      > address to the
                      > greater internet. In this case, checking my IP from an outside source is
                      > essential.

                      Roy--
                      Thanks for pointing that out, as I was not aware that certain providers
                      were doing this. I guess the current incarnation of my script is good
                      for those apps, then (provided the person trying to use it has the space
                      to host a page that can do server-side ASP or PHP, if some brave soul
                      wants to add a more Linux-friendly version of my remote IP page), since
                      it includes a remote source that reads back the requester's IP address.
                      My cable provider doesn't do this to me, and my IP is sitting on one of
                      the admin pages on my router (requiring submission of username and
                      password), which is why I'd love to have the time to learn expect well
                      enough to ditch the remote page.... :^)

                      > I set up a CGI on my hosted site to report the requesting IP address.
                      > I think I
                      > can afford a little extra bandwidth, so Sluggers are welcome to use
                      > it. In a
                      > shell script, grab your current IP like this:
                      >
                      > THISADDR=`wget -qO - http://www.rant-central.com/cgi-bin/rat.cgi`
                      > <http://www.rant-central.com/cgi-bin/rat.cgi%60>

                      Roy, that's mighty generous of you!

                      C ya,
                      Dutch
                    • Roy M. Silvernail
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 20 9:02 AM
                        Quoting Dale VanZile <vlad.zeanile@...>:

                        > Roy M. Silvernail wrote:
                        >
                        > > FWIW, some DSL providers double-NAT you. Cinci Bell/Fuse, for
                        > > example, hands my
                        > > router a 10.x.x.x address, while presenting a publicly routable
                        > > address to the
                        > > greater internet. In this case, checking my IP from an outside source is
                        > > essential.
                        >

                        > Roy--
                        > Thanks for pointing that out, as I was not aware that certain providers
                        > were doing this. I guess the current incarnation of my script is good
                        > for those apps, then (provided the person trying to use it has the space
                        > to host a page that can do server-side ASP or PHP, if some brave soul
                        > wants to add a more Linux-friendly version of my remote IP page)

                        How about perl?

                        $ cat rat.cgi
                        #!/usr/bin/perl
                        use Carp;
                        use CGI;
                        $q = new CGI;
                        print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n".$ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}."\n";

                        > > I set up a CGI on my hosted site to report the requesting IP address.
                        > > I think I
                        > > can afford a little extra bandwidth, so Sluggers are welcome to use
                        > > it. In a
                        > > shell script, grab your current IP like this:
                        > >
                        > > THISADDR=`wget -qO - http://www.rant-central.com/cgi-bin/rat.cgi`

                        > Roy, that's mighty generous of you!

                        Just giving back.

                        Cheers!
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 20 9:27 AM
                          Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

                          > How about perl?
                          >
                          > $ cat rat.cgi
                          > #!/usr/bin/perl
                          > use Carp;
                          > use CGI;
                          > $q = new CGI;
                          > print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n".$ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}."\n";

                          Roy--
                          I've put this on the wiki page:
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpYourOwnStaticLinkToYourSiteAtADynamicIP

                          Thanks for the script!!

                          I'd also like to thank tman for the PHP version, and whoever updated my
                          original scripts to cleaner code--those updates were educational!

                          C ya,
                          Dutch
                        • Roy M. Silvernail
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 20 10:12 AM
                            Quoting Dale VanZile <vlad.zeanile@...>:

                            > I've put this on the wiki page:

                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpYourOwnStaticLinkToYourSiteAtADynamicIP

                            > Thanks for the script!!

                            Hey, fame! :)

                            BTW, my script produces a text/plain output to make it dead-slam easy to get the
                            content with wget or curl and avoid having to parse any HTML output. It's a
                            lighter-weight process than 'lynx -dump'.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 20 10:57 AM
                              Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

                              > Hey, fame! :)

                              Roy--
                              And well deserved!

                              > BTW, my script produces a text/plain output to make it dead-slam easy
                              > to get the
                              > content with wget or curl and avoid having to parse any HTML output.
                              > It's a
                              > lighter-weight process than 'lynx -dump'.

                              I'll have to check it out and see how I can integrate it into my setup!

                              When I set my thing up, I found that the lynx -dump added whitespace,
                              which gummed up the works with trying to insert it into a script. My
                              solution was writing that via echo to a temp file and re-reading it got
                              rid of the whitespace....

                              C ya,
                              Dutch
                            • Airw0lf
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 21 3:33 AM
                                I simply use 'ddclient' which is an application written in perl. All I
                                needed to do on my Unslung 5.5 system was to install the perl package and
                                then follow the configuration instructions for ddclient.

                                Check the site out here: http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/

                                It is currently running very nicely for me in the background, updating to
                                dyndns.org.

                                FWIW, it doesn't support no-ip, but it does support the following:

                                DynDNS.org - See http://www.dyndns.org for details on obtaining a free
                                account.
                                Hammernode - See http://www.hn.org for details on obtaining a free
                                account.
                                Zoneedit - See http://www.zoneedit.com for details.
                                EasyDNS - See http://www.easydns.com for details.
                                NameCheap - See http://www.namecheap.com for details

                                It may be less hassle involved if you just use one of the above with
                                ddclient.

                                "r0ger" <r0ger@...> wrote in

                                > I'm a user of the no-ip service, a free DDNS service. As I would like
                                > to ' eliminate' the PC using only this sw from my lan in order to post
                                > my IP I'm interested to understand if someone has been able to:
                                >
                                > - compile this utility on his NSLU2,
                                > - use it
                                >
                                > and ...
                                >
                                > if can send me a copy of the binary of this utility
                                >
                                > thanks
                                >
                                > PS I have already tried to contact some people that in this group has
                                > posted messages about this topic without receive a response :-(

                                > --------------------~--> <font face=arial size=-1><a
                                > href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hk8uro7/M=362131.6882499.7825260.15
                                > 10227/D=groups/S=1705005378:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124410998/A=2889191/R=0/SIG
                                > =10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org ">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help
                                > you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life -´┐Żbrought to you by One
                                > Economy</a>.</font>

                              • marcelo
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  Rod Whitby ha scritto:
                                  > On 8/19/05, rndilger <rdilger2@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>I am also very interested in such a script/utility. Is someone
                                  >>willing to work on this task?
                                  >

                                  > I've added the noip client version 2.1.1 package to the Optware/nslu2
                                  > and Optware/wl500g feeds. They should be propagated to the mirrors
                                  > within 30 minutes.
                                  >
                                  > All I know is that it builds. Someone else will need to work out how
                                  > to configure it and cause it to start automatically, as I have no way
                                  > of testing it. When you do, make sure the package is updated so that
                                  > everyone who uses it doesn't have to work it out for themselves.
                                  >
                                  > -- Rod

                                  I have succesfully installed the no-ip package. Click on to
                                  http://www.viti.tv/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3 for
                                  a quick start "guide".

                                  thx