Re: Disk 2 freezing the slug when booting from Flash Disk on Disk 1?

  • rian_ata
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
      > Fully agree. It seems that there are just some flash drives out
      there that
      > are confusing the Linksys kernel changes and causing the second
      disk to be
      > inaccessible.
      > My off-the-cuff theory is that it is flash drives that have more
      than one
      > logical drive on it (e.g. for some security feature), and this is
      causing
      > the Linksys scsi_scan changes to not be able to handle a "third"
      drive (the
      > HDD on disk2).
      > Since the R63 firmware has support now for multiple drives on each
      port,
      > then one would hope that the problem goes away when the source code
      for the
      > R63 kernel is released and incorporated into Unslung 6.x
      > -- Rod

      I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
      causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
      partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
      wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one partition,
      then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
      Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works flawlessly
      with uNSLUng 5.5beta!

      .:Rian_Ata:.
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
        On 8/18/05, rian_ata <rianata@...> wrote:
        > I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
        > causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
        > partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
        > wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one partition,
        > then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
        > Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works flawlessly
        > with uNSLUng 5.5beta!

        Can you add that to the FAQ please?

        -- Rod
      • rian_ata
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
          > Somewhere it is already written that some flash drives might not work.
          > My problem is a bit different though: Disk1+Disk2 *do* work if the
          > slug boots from the internal memory, but they do not if the Slug
          > boots from a flash drive in Disk1.
          > Everything works properly both with the Linksys firmware and with
          > Unslung 5.5 beta, but not when the Unslung is unslinged to disk1.
          >
          > Thank you anyway,
          > Bruno.

          I have a working set-up with a 512MB flash drive on disk 1 (only 1
          partition!) and a 200GB Maxtor OneTouch drive on disk 2. uNSLUng
          5.5beta with unslinging to flash drive on disk 1.

          This is especially usefull cause now my Maxtor is going into 'sleep
          mode' after 30 minutes! I set this by creating a small FAT32 partition
          on the Maxtor to be able to get the drive recognized by Windows to be
          able to use Maxtor's software to set this idle time (30 min.). Before I
          only had the drive attached and it never went into sleep because of the
          logging activity by Linux / uNSLUng.

          So, Bruno, you're issue is not a general issue or bug in the Linksys
          firmware / uNSLUng, but a specific configuration or hardware issue.

          Greetings,
          Rianata
        • rian_ata
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
            wrote:
            > On 8/18/05, rian_ata <rianata@h...> wrote:
            > > I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
            > > causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
            > > partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
            > > wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one
            partition,
            > > then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
            > > Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works
            flawlessly
            > > with uNSLUng 5.5beta!
            >
            > Can you add that to the FAQ please?
            >
            > -- Rod
            Please, a little more specific, cause I never added something to a
            FAQ :-) Which one do you refer to?

            Rian
          • Rod Whitby
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26, 2005
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/HomePage
              Just add a representative question and answer at the end.
              -- Rod
              On 8/26/05, rian_ata <rianata@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
              > wrote:
              > > On 8/18/05, rian_ata <rianata@h...> wrote:
              > > > I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
              > > > causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
              > > > partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
              > > > wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one
              > partition,
              > > > then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
              > > > Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works
              > flawlessly
              > > > with uNSLUng 5.5beta!
              > >
              > > Can you add that to the FAQ please?
              > >
              > > -- Rod
              > Please, a little more specific, cause I never added something to a
              > FAQ :-) Which one do you refer to?
              >
              > Rian

            • Peter Boraston
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                I get this problem too. I have two slugs, both
                unslung to hard drives. Both operate correctly with
                one disk attached, but as soon as second one is
                attched, the slug freezes and control can only be
                regained by unplugging the power cord, re-connecting
                and rebooting without the second disk.

                --- jtbpenguin <jbullock@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
                Hi,

                I am having the same behaviour, I hadn't tried using a
                memory stick in
                the second slot, but just did and sure enough the same
                exact
                behaviour.

                I too am running 5.5, everything seems fine until
                adding the
                second device.

                It seems like the kernel is not mapping the USB to
                SCSI device right,
                and getting confused.

                I can reboot, it will come up with both devices
                attached, but Disk2 is
                still unavailable.

                FYI
                jb

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ri_uffa"
                <ri_uffa@y...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I discovered this strange problem on my slug.
                >
                > I put the 5.5 beta and unslinged to a memory stick
                (512 Mb),
                > installed packages etc. Everything works fine.
                >
                > But when I add something to the Disk 2 slot - either
                another memory
                > stick or a USB HD. The Disk 2 light does not come
                up, the Disk 1
                > light disappears and the slug hangs. Trying to turn
                it off using
                the
                > button does not work (it beeps though) and the only
                way is to
                remove
                > the power cable..
                >
                > I tried with two different 512 Mb memory sticks,
                unslinged several
                > times, reflashed twice.. no avail.
                > I also made the test on another slug, same problem.
                >
                > Note that booting without a disk attached and
                plugging the drive
                > after the boot works perfectly.
                > I didn't unsling to Disk 2 yet, but I'll try that
                shortly.

                > Is this a 5.5 bug?
                >
                > Thanks everyone..
                >
                > b.

                Terms of Service.

                ---------------------------------

              • vanrandy2000
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I am having a very similiar problem. I run Linksys firmware R63
                  though. I just bought it two days ago from DELL. I only tried
                  attaching an NTFS HD (that's all I have now) to the port 2, which
                  totally freezes the device - power button not working, and no
                  connectivity on the network. Unplug the power cord and plug it again,
                  it can reboot sometimes, but not always. It seems to me cooling it
                  down for a while help rebooting. Anyway I haven't got any successes
                  with my NTFS HD so far.

                  I talked the issue with two guys at Linksys support. One
                  suggested "get it replaced for a good indication of defective
                  device", the other said "could be something wrong with my HD". Since
                  it doesn't look like it's my problem alone, I think this could be
                  something wrong with hardware.

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Peter Boraston <hibciksuy@y...>