Re: simple iTunes setup instructions?

  • danny15boy
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 23, 2004
      vax2man -

      I have no familiarity with Linux. So I would need step by step
      instructions.

      I have text editors only. (Notepad from Windows, or Textpad)

      Dan

      ===========

    • vax2man
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 24, 2004
        OK, first things first, you will need telnet access
        to your NSLU2. There are two main ways of doing
        this:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheClassicMethod
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheBackupMethod

        Since you aren't familiar with Linux, the second
        set of instructions will probably work best for
        you. You will need something WinZip to open
        the tar file on Windows to edit the passwd file.
        You will also need an editor that understands
        Linux/Unix files. Here is one that has a free
        version and is easy to use:

        http://www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html

        After you edit the passwd file you will need to
        bundle the files back up into a tar file. I think
        that WinZip can handle this, but it's been a
        while since I used it.

        Once you have telnet access to your NSLU2
        we can go over the steps needed to install
        and configure mt-daapd.

      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 24, 2004
          On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 18:39, vax2man wrote:
          > OK, first things first, you will need telnet access
          > to your NSLU2. There are two main ways of doing
          > this:
          >
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheClassicMethod
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheBackupMethod
          >
          > Since you aren't familiar with Linux, the second
          > set of instructions will probably work best for
          > you. You will need something WinZip to open
          > the tar file on Windows to edit the passwd file.

          Be careful with that. WinZip will open .tar and .tgz files, but it has
          a feature that will change line endings for anything it thinks are "text
          files". The feature (might be "Smart EOL", but I don't recall right off
          hand) can be turned off, but it's on by default.
          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 24, 2004
            vax2man wrote:
            > After you edit the passwd file you will need to
            > bundle the files back up into a tar file. I think
            > that WinZip can handle this, but it's been a
            > while since I used it.

            WinZip cannot create tar files.

            PowerZip claims that it can: http://www.tridentsw.com/
            I have not verified it, though.

            7-Zip is a free (LGPL) archive and compression program
            that can create tar files as well as other formats.
            http://www.7-zip.org/

            Hope that helps.

            - Tim
          • danny15boy
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 25, 2004
              Thanks all -

              I'll let you know as I progress.

              Dan

              -----------

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...> wrote:
              > OK, first things first, you will need telnet access
              > to your NSLU2. There are two main ways of doing
              > this:
              >
              > http://www.nslu2-
              linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheClassicMethod
              > http://www.nslu2-
              linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheBackupMethod

              > Since you aren't familiar with Linux, the second
              > set of instructions will probably work best for
              > you. You will need something WinZip to open
              > the tar file on Windows to edit the passwd file.
              > You will also need an editor that understands
              > Linux/Unix files. Here is one that has a free
              > version and is easy to use:
              >
              > http://www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
              >
              > After you edit the passwd file you will need to
              > bundle the files back up into a tar file. I think
              > that WinZip can handle this, but it's been a
              > while since I used it.
              >
              > Once you have telnet access to your NSLU2
              > we can go over the steps needed to install
              > and configure mt-daapd.
              >

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "danny15boy" <dan@k...> wrote:
              > > vax2man -
              > >
              > > I have no familiarity with Linux. So I would need step by
              step
              > > instructions.
              > >
              > > I have text editors only. (Notepad from Windows, or Textpad)
              > >
              > > Dan
              > >
              > > ===========
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>
              wrote:
              > > > See below:
              > > >
              > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "danny15boy" <dan@k...>
              > > > the
              > > > >

              > > > The NSLU2 is runs Linux. If you are comfortable with Linux
              > > > commands like tar, cp, ln and cat, it will be easy to give you
              > > > simple instructions for installing mt-daapd. If you are not
              > > > familiar with Linux it may be very difficult to give you
              > > > instructions.
              > > >
              > > > There may be a need to edit the configuration file for
              > > > mt-daapd on the NSLU2. If you can use the vi editor, this
              > > > will be easy. If not, then you will need access to an editor
              > > > on your W2K system that can deal with Unix text files.
              > > >
              > > > We need some indication of your experience (if any) with
              > > > Linux before we can really help...

              > > > stock

              > > > are
              > > >
              > > > You will need to enable telnet access and edit the passwd
              > > > file on the NSLU2. Instructions for how to do this without
              > > > access to a Linux system are here:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.batbox.org/LinksysNSLU2TelnetAccess.html

              > > there,
              > > make
              > > >
              > > > You don't need a Linux system, but you do need some
              > > > familiarity with Linux to get started. After that you can
              > > > easily manage mt-daapd from your Windows system.

            • Michael Plotsker
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 25, 2004
                What is the deal with the ipkg mt-daapd package. i must be missing
                something. i can't get it to install properly. can anyone help. is
                there another binary with dummy proof instructions that will work?
                thanks
                michael

              • Michael Plotsker
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 25, 2004
                  1. i downloaded jim's binary.
                  2. i edited the conf file and updated the tar file 9using 7zip on my
                  xp system)
                  3. i copied the new tar file to my itunes share (itunes user with
                  admin rights from the web admin interface)
                  4. i am unslung and have telnet access
                  5. i read the readme from the tar file
                  6. now i don't know exactly how to untar the file to where it belongs
                  (can i untar it with 7zip and place the files manually?)

                  what is the proper tar command to make this work?
                  thanks
                  michael

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Plotsker"

                • vax2man
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 26, 2004
                    Telnet into your NSLU2 using the
                    root account. Enter cd / to make
                    sure that you are in the root
                    directory. Enter:

                    tar -xvf /path/tarfile.tar

                    where path is the path to the tarfile,
                    something like: /share/hdd/data/itunes
                    or whatever your itunes user is and
                    tarfile.tar is the name of the
                    updated tarfile.

                    tar will extract the files and put them
                    in the proper directories.

                    Create the symbolic link to mt-daapd.conf:

                    ln -s /share/hdd/conf/etc/mt-daapd.conf /etc/mt-daapd.conf

                    enter:

                    /share/hdd/conf/bin/mt-daapd

                    to start up mt-daapd. It will take it a few
                    minutes to index your files.

                    Use:

                    cat /var/log/mt-daapd.log

                    to check on the status of mt-daapd. If
                    everything worked, you should see
                    something like this:

                    2004-09-20 02:27:07: Starting rendezvous daemon
                    2004-09-20 02:27:07: Starting signal handler
                    2004-09-20 02:27:07: Initializing database
                    2004-09-20 02:27:07: Starting mp3 scan
                    2004-09-20 02:30:58: Starting web server from /share/hdd/data/mt-daapd/admin-root
                    on port 3689
                    2004-09-20 02:30:58: Registering rendezvous names
                    2004-09-20 02:30:58: Scanned 3501 songs in 231 seconds

                    If something failed, the messages in the
                    log file should give you some indication
                    of what didn't work.

                    You may see some lines about "Bad
                    mp3 header in". These are not
                    critical errors and in many cases the
                    files will play just fine.

                    Fire up iTunes on your Mac (or PC) and
                    see if the library on your NSLU2 show up.

                    Enjoy your music...

                  • Michael Plotsker
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 27, 2004
                      Thank you very much. i now have it going.
                      2 questions though
                      1. how do i make mt-daapd run when the slug boots? an init script?
                      2. how do i get telnet to stay active after reboots of the slug? i am
                      unslung.

                      again i am enjoying my music thanks to you. much obliged
                      michael

                    • vax2man
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 28, 2004
                        I'm afraid that I can't help you much
                        with these two questions. I am still
                        running the stock R24 firmware on
                        my NSLU2. My 'slug is doing exactly
                        what I want it to, so I'll probably
                        wait a bit before unslinging it.

                        One thing that I have noticed is that
                        mt-daapd will add new song files to
                        the cache file, but it doesn't seem to
                        remove any files that are no longer
                        available. Since mt-daapd will
                        create a new cache file if it doesn't
                        find an existing file, I usually delete
                        the cache file using:

                        rm /share/hdd/data/mt-daapd/cache/songs.gdb

                        every time that I start mt-daapd.

                        Having said that, I find that mt-daapd
                        on my 'slug is pretty stable. My 'slug
                        has been up for 42 days and the only
                        time I have to restart mt-daapd is when
                        I add a bunch of new mp3 files. Mt-daapd
                        had been running for 36 days before I
                        added more files. My 'slug serves about
                        3500 files to six Windows systems, three
                        Macs and my Audiotron.

                        As they say, "your mileage may vary".
                        Good luck with it...

                      • danny15boy
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 28, 2004
                          OK -

                          So I downloaded the config file, edited it using EditPadLite,
                          and re 'tar'd it using 7-zip. (hopefully doing everything correctly.)

                          I turned on the Telnet service in the NSLU2, and also uploaded the
                          new config file to the NSLU2.

                          As a test I re-downloaded the new config file from the NSLU2, and the
                          Password file was:

                          --------------

                          root:scHg2Srkw7m0w:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
                          bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:
                          lp:x:4:7:lp:/share/spool:
                          mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:
                          ftp:x:14:50:FTP User:/:
                          nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:
                          ourtelnetrescueuser:scuPts7UXKlUY:100:100::/home/user:/bin/sh
                          guest:xqnMpE/plEnFs:501:501::/home/user/guest:/dev/null
                          admin:cgwvsHpJSf6XU:502:501::/home/user/admin:/dev/null

                          dan:scHg2Srkw7m0w:2000:501:::/dev/null

                          ---------------

                          I know the password for the user 'dan' and so copied the section
                          that I believe to be the password up to the 'root' pw section.
                          (section copied was 'scHg2Srkw7m0w' Was this the encrypted pw?
                          Should I have copied anything else?

                          Anyway I restarted the NSLU2, restarted the Telnet service and was
                          able to connect from my windows machine. (using the microsoft Telnet
                          client in W2K.) The NSLU2 asked for UN - i gave it 'root' then pw -
                          I gave it the one for user 'dan' that hopefully I copied over to
                          the 'root' pw.

                          At this point the NSLU2 dropped the Telnet session. It's still on
                          the network and seems OK, I just can't Telnet in with what I think is
                          the correct pw.

                          So what did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

                          Dan

                          =====================

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "danny15boy" <dan@k...> wrote:
                          > Thanks all -
                          >
                          > I'll let you know as I progress.
                          >
                          > Dan
                          >
                          > -----------
                          >
                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "vax2man" <vaxxman@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > > OK, first things first, you will need telnet access
                          > > to your NSLU2. There are two main ways of doing
                          > > this:
                          > >
                          > > http://www.nslu2-
                          > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheClassicMethod
                          > > http://www.nslu2-
                          > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GainTelnetAccessViaTheBackupMethod
                          > >
                          > > Since you aren't familiar with Linux, the second
                          > > set of instructions will probably work best for
                          > > you. You will need something WinZip to open
                          > > the tar file on Windows to edit the passwd file.
                          > > You will also need an editor that understands
                          > > Linux/Unix files. Here is one that has a free
                          > > version and is easy to use:
                          > >
                          > > http://www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html
                          > >
                          > > After you edit the passwd file you will need to
                          > > bundle the files back up into a tar file. I think
                          > > that WinZip can handle this, but it's been a
                          > > while since I used it.
                          > >
                          > > Once you have telnet access to your NSLU2
                          > > we can go over the steps needed to install
                          > > and configure mt-daapd.

                        • Tim Lewis
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 29, 2004
                            danny15boy wrote:
                            > root:scHg2Srkw7m0w:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh

                            The "/root" directory exists, right? It doesn't exist
                            on an unmodified slug, and I thought that unslung didn't
                            create if by default yet (I could be wrong).

                            If it doesn't exist, just change the 6th field above to
                            "/", and try again.

                            > At this point the NSLU2 dropped the Telnet session.

                            Dropped? You didn't get another login prompt?
                            Did it print any messages?

                            - Tim
                          • danny15boy
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 1, 2004
                              Tim -

                              Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
                              far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
                              root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
                              longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

                              Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
                              have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

                              Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:

                              -------

                              Linksys_NAS login: root
                              Password:
                              : No such file or directory

                              Connection to host lost.

                              Press any key to continue...

                              -----------

                              When I had '/root' instead of '/' the message was:

                              -----------

                              Linksys_NAS login: root
                              Password:
                              No directory, logging in with HOME=/

                              Connection to host lost.

                              Press any key to continue...

                              ---------

                              Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

                              Dan

                              ============

                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
                              > danny15boy wrote:
                              > > root:scHg2Srkw7m0w:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
                              >
                              > The "/root" directory exists, right? It doesn't exist
                              > on an unmodified slug, and I thought that unslung didn't
                              > create if by default yet (I could be wrong).
                              >
                              > If it doesn't exist, just change the 6th field above to
                              > "/", and try again.
                              >
                              > > At this point the NSLU2 dropped the Telnet session.
                              >
                              > Dropped? You didn't get another login prompt?
                              > Did it print any messages?
                              >
                              > - Tim
                            • Ned LaWarre
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                                I have the mt-daapd installed using the ipkg command. Now what? I am using
                                winXP. I can see nslu2/admin_1/public and nslu2/disk_1 directories. No other
                                directories tho. What do I do now?

                                _____

                                Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
                                far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
                                root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
                                longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

                                Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
                                have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

                                Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:

                                -------

                                Linksys_NAS login: root
                                Password:
                                : No such file or directory

                                Connection to host lost.

                                Press any key to continue...

                                -----------

                                When I had '/root' instead of '/' the message was:

                                -----------

                                Linksys_NAS login: root
                                Password:
                                No directory, logging in with HOME=/

                                Connection to host lost.

                                Press any key to continue...

                                ---------

                                Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

                                Dan

                                ============

                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
                                > danny15boy wrote:
                                > > root:scHg2Srkw7m0w:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
                                >
                                > The "/root" directory exists, right? It doesn't exist
                                > on an unmodified slug, and I thought that unslung didn't
                                > create if by default yet (I could be wrong).
                                >
                                > If it doesn't exist, just change the 6th field above to
                                > "/", and try again.
                                >
                                > > At this point the NSLU2 dropped the Telnet session.
                                >
                                > Dropped? You didn't get another login prompt?
                                > Did it print any messages?
                                >
                                > - Tim

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12989utbv/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
                                oups/S=1705005378:HM/EXP=1096768899/A=2368837/R=0/SIG=11tdf3rom/*http:/www.n
                                etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185370&partid=5285298%20> click here

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
                                :HM/A=2368837/rand=713827990>

                                _____

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                              • Tim Lewis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 2, 2004
                                  danny15boy wrote:
                                  > Before trying your suggestion I decided to Unslung my NSLU2. As
                                  > far as I can tell it worked successfully. (I was able to get into
                                  > root during this process using the uNSLUng password, but that no
                                  > longer works after unslunging my disk drive.)

                                  Right, because Unslung uses the password that it finds on the drive.

                                  > Then I modified the config file as you suggested and uploaded it. (I
                                  > have no idea if /root exists since I can't Telnet in and look. :-)

                                  Well, from your login attempts, it appears /root doesn't exist.
                                  This shouldn't be a problem (i.e. you should still be able to log in).

                                  > Now on trying to Telnet in I get a slightly different response:
                                  > Linksys_NAS login: root
                                  > Password:
                                  > No directory, logging in with HOME=/
                                  >

                                  > Connection to host lost.

                                  This is strange, because at this point you should have a prompt.
                                  I modified my configuration to "/root" (which doesn't exist on
                                  my box), just to check, and it did give my a root prompt.

                                  > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, and how to Telnet in?

                                  What are you using to edit the file? You need to use an editor
                                  that preserves the UNIX line endings. I'm guessing that there's
                                  a Windows line ending in there screwing something up. Textpad
                                  (http://www.textpad.com) is an editor that will preserve the
                                  line endings.

                                  Probably the easiest solution if you don't have any files on the
                                  disk yet is to wipe the disk, and unsling it again. That way you
                                  can log in with the uNSLUng password and change the password on
                                  the box itself.

                                  However, if you have files on the drive, you can instead copy the
                                  default passwd file from unslung to your configuration, and
                                  log in with the uNSLUng password. To do this, boot the NSLU2 with
                                  just an empty flash drive attached. Since your hard drive isn't
                                  mounted, the unslung will boot with its default configuration.
                                  Now copy the /etc/passwd file to the flash drive with
                                  "cp /etc/passwd /share/flash/data". Now turn off the NSLU2, plug
                                  the flash drive into your computer copy the file to your
                                  configuration, and tar the configuration back up. Plug the drive
                                  back into your NSLU2, turn it on, and and install the configuration
                                  using the admin web pages. You should now be able to telnet into the
                                  box with the uNSLUng password. This method will wipe out any users
                                  you created, but will preserve your data. If you keep your old
                                  password file, you can restore the users with vi once you telnet
                                  into the NSLU2.

                                  Another way to modifiy the password is to mount the drive on
                                  a Linux machine and change the password there (i.e. the "classic"
                                  method). This is a little more difficult, but at least you don't
                                  have to worry about the line endings. If you don't have a Linux
                                  machine, you can use a "Live CD" like Knoppix to boot Linux
                                  without installing Linux on your hard drive. Assmuing that your
                                  drive is on /dev/sda (which is probably is with no other scsi, usb,
                                  or firewire drives plugged in), you'll see something like this from
                                  "fdisk -l /dev/sda".

                                  Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 24792 cylinders
                                  Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

                                  Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                                  /dev/sda1 1 24770 198964993+ 83 Linux
                                  /dev/sda2 24771 24785 120487+ 83 Linux
                                  /dev/sda3 24786 24792 56227+ 82 Linux swap

                                  The password file is on the second partition on the drive
                                  (i.e. the one that's about 113M, "/dev/sda2"). The first
                                  partition is your data and the third is swap. Simply mount
                                  the second partition, cd to the directory, and edit the passwd
                                  file.

                                  I hope this helps.

                                  - Tim
                                • danny15boy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 14, 2004
                                    Finally found out what was stopping me from Telneting in.

                                    I was modifying the password file in the config.tar, but leaving it
                                    as 'password.txt' and not replacing the existing password file.
                                    (duh...)

                                    Once I deleted the original password file, renamed password.txt to
                                    just password, re-tar'd everything and uploaded to the slug, I was
                                    able to telnet!

                                    Thanks also to Bcoombs for the awesome Mt-daapd HowTo. I have the
                                    server running, and am now working through the troubleshooting area.
                                    (I can see the server in my iTunes, but no music.)

                                    Thanks everyone.

                                    Dan