Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 Shares ... Seem Flaky

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2004
      Ack, I can't proofread!

      Tim Lewis wrote:
      > javatar2k wrote:
      >>
      >> So I suspect I need a drive spec, something like "Disk 1:/Music" but I
      >> don't know the syntax.
      >
      > Yes, this is correct. The path that you can use for this is
      > "/public/Music", which is the *actual* path of the "Music" on
      > folder on your disk drive.

      That is, "/public/Music", is the path to the actual "Music" folder
      on the attached drive.

      >> Also, it seems that for some reason the NSLU2 does not like a share
      >> called "Music". If I create a shared called "Music", it will not let
      >> me even specify a directory. It does not give an error, but always
      >> reverts the share back to the default share.
      >
      > I do not seem to have this problem. Are you sure you clicked,
      > "Save as New Share", as opposed to "Save". This reverts things with no
      > error.

      Err, "Save" reverts the changes.

      >> If I change the share name to "Audio", I can point it at my /Music
      >> directory, but of course cannot see the files (as described above).
      >
      > This is because you are actually creating a *new* directory at
      > the root of the disk. You need to specify that the Music directory
      > resides in /public/Music.

      In other words, you need to specifiy the actual path to the directory,
      otherwise, the NSLU2 just creates an empty folder at the root of the
      disk. In this case, "Music" is actually "/public/Music" on disk.

      I forgot to mention how you get rid of all those blank directories
      at the root of your disk. To do this, click on the "ADMIN 1" share,
      and remove the empty directories that you created (they should be
      right there after you open "ADMIN 1").

      It may be necessay to log in as another user to do this if your NSLU2
      administrator login differs from your Windows login. If you see the
      message, "\\NSLU2\ADMIN 1 is not accessible...", when clicking on
      "ADMIN 1", try logging into Windows as a different user. You can
      also right click on "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe" and select "Run as..."
      to run Explorer as a different user. Then just locate the
      "\\NSLU2\ADMIN 1" share with "My Network Places" in the side panel.

      If you know how to use the telnet function, the files are located in
      the "/share/hdd/data" directory.

      Either way, don't delete the "public" directory or any user directories
      that you created (i.e. with "Create Private Folder (Share)" under
      "Users").

      - Tim