Undoing Unslinging of hard disk?

  • bty357167
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
      I am running 5.5 and have unslung my hard disk. Is there any way of
      un-doing the unslinging of the hard disk and just run with the 5.5
      firmware?
      thanks
      Russell
    • Adrian Day
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
        On 8/8/05, bty357167 <russellandbevandavis@...> wrote:
        > I am running 5.5 and have unslung my hard disk. Is there any way of
        > un-doing the unslinging of the hard disk and just run with the 5.5
        > firmware?

        Reflash the original Linksys firmware.
      • Inge B. Arnesen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
          > On 8/8/05, bty357167 <russellandbevandavis@...> wrote:
          >> I am running 5.5 and have unslung my hard disk. Is there any way of
          >> un-doing the unslinging of the hard disk and just run with the 5.5
          >> firmware?
          >
          > Reflash the original Linksys firmware.

          You don't have to - you can reflash Unslung 5.5 or even just delete the
          marker on the flash rootfs (mounted under /initrd when unslinged), which
          is named ".sda1root" (note the dot - so "/initrd/.sda1root" - the format
          is .sdXYroot, where X is "a" or "b" and Y is "1" or 2"). This marker is
          (AFAIK) what makes the Unslung firmware switch the rootfs and remount the
          flash under /initrd.

          If this is correct and works, please add the info to the wiki.

          best,

          -- Inge
        • bty357167
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Day <adrian.day@g...>
            wrote:
            > On 8/8/05, bty357167 <russellandbevandavis@t...> wrote:
            > > I am running 5.5 and have unslung my hard disk. Is there any way
            of
            > > un-doing the unslinging of the hard disk and just run with the 5.5
            > > firmware?
            >
            > Reflash the original Linksys firmware.

            I was going to do this and when I looked in to it reflashing from 5.5
            seems rather complicated compared to earlier versions. To be honest I
            did not understand the instructions. Earlier versions of unslung, you
            just clicked on the upgrade button! Does any one have any simple
            instructions for this?
          • bty357167
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Inge B. Arnesen"
              <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
              > > On 8/8/05, bty357167 <russellandbevandavis@t...> wrote:
              > >> I am running 5.5 and have unslung my hard disk. Is there any
              way of
              > >> un-doing the unslinging of the hard disk and just run with the
              5.5
              > >> firmware?
              > >
              > > Reflash the original Linksys firmware.
              >
              > You don't have to - you can reflash Unslung 5.5 or even just
              delete the
              > marker on the flash rootfs (mounted under /initrd when unslinged),
              which
              > is named ".sda1root" (note the dot - so "/initrd/.sda1root" - the
              format
              > is .sdXYroot, where X is "a" or "b" and Y is "1" or 2"). This
              marker is
              > (AFAIK) what makes the Unslung firmware switch the rootfs and
              remount the
              > flash under /initrd.
              >
              > If this is correct and works, please add the info to the wiki.
              >
              > best,
              >
              > -- Inge

              Thanks - I'll give it a go.
            • bty357167
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty357167"
                <russellandbevandavis@t...> wrote:
                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Inge B. Arnesen"
                > <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
                > way of
                > 5.5
                > > >
                > > > Reflash the original Linksys firmware.
                > >
                > > You don't have to - you can reflash Unslung 5.5 or even just
                > delete the
                > > marker on the flash rootfs (mounted under /initrd when
                unslinged),
                > which
                > > is named ".sda1root" (note the dot - so "/initrd/.sda1root" -
                the
                > format
                > > is .sdXYroot, where X is "a" or "b" and Y is "1" or 2"). This
                > marker is
                > > (AFAIK) what makes the Unslung firmware switch the rootfs and
                > remount the
                > > flash under /initrd.
                > >
                > > If this is correct and works, please add the info to the wiki.
                > >
                > > best,
                > >
                > > -- Inge
                >
                > Thanks - I'll give it a go.

                I found a quick fix - I plugged the disk in to the other port and he
                presto it is unslung! I will get try you permanent fix at some
                point, I need to back up all my data first just in case I make a
                horrible error!
                Thanks for all your help
                Russell