Re: Disk 2 freezing the slug when booting from Flash Disk on Disk 1?

  • jtbpenguin
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005

      I am having the same behaviour, I hadn't tried using a memory stick in
      the second slot, but just did and sure enough the same exact
      behaviour.

      I too am running 5.5, everything seems fine until adding the
      second device.

      It seems like the kernel is not mapping the USB to SCSI device right,
      and getting confused.

      I can reboot, it will come up with both devices attached, but Disk2 is
      still unavailable.

      FYI
      jb

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ri_uffa" <ri_uffa@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I discovered this strange problem on my slug.
      >
      > I put the 5.5 beta and unslinged to a memory stick (512 Mb),
      > installed packages etc. Everything works fine.
      >
      > But when I add something to the Disk 2 slot - either another memory
      > stick or a USB HD. The Disk 2 light does not come up, the Disk 1
      > light disappears and the slug hangs. Trying to turn it off using
      the
      > button does not work (it beeps though) and the only way is to
      remove
      > the power cable..
      >
      > I tried with two different 512 Mb memory sticks, unslinged several
      > times, reflashed twice.. no avail.
      > I also made the test on another slug, same problem.
      >
      > Note that booting without a disk attached and plugging the drive
      > after the boot works perfectly.
      > I didn't unsling to Disk 2 yet, but I'll try that shortly.
      >
      > Is this a 5.5 bug?
      >
      > Thanks everyone..
      >
      > b.
    • ri_uffa
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2005
        Hello,

        Sorry to bother you all again with this.

        I would need to know if anyone using a flash disk to boot at Disk1 is
        able to successfully attach another drive to Disk2.

        Also tried installing Unslug 4.20, resetting the sysconf by
        telnetting into Redboot - no way.

        Thank you very much in advance,
        b.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jtbpenguin" <jbullock@t...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am having the same behaviour, I hadn't tried using a memory stick
        in
        > the second slot, but just did and sure enough the same exact
        > behaviour.
        >
        > I too am running 5.5, everything seems fine until adding the
        > second device.
        >
        > It seems like the kernel is not mapping the USB to SCSI device
        right,
        > and getting confused.
        >
        > I can reboot, it will come up with both devices attached, but Disk2
        is
        > still unavailable.
        >
        > FYI
        > jb
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ri_uffa" <ri_uffa@y...>
        wrote:
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I discovered this strange problem on my slug.
        > >
        > > I put the 5.5 beta and unslinged to a memory stick (512 Mb),
        > > installed packages etc. Everything works fine.
        > >
        > > But when I add something to the Disk 2 slot - either another
        memory
        > > stick or a USB HD. The Disk 2 light does not come up, the Disk 1
        > > light disappears and the slug hangs. Trying to turn it off using
        > the
        > > button does not work (it beeps though) and the only way is to
        > remove
        > > the power cable..
        > >
        > > I tried with two different 512 Mb memory sticks, unslinged
        several
        > > times, reflashed twice.. no avail.
        > > I also made the test on another slug, same problem.
        > >
        > > Note that booting without a disk attached and plugging the drive
        > > after the boot works perfectly.
        > > I didn't unsling to Disk 2 yet, but I'll try that shortly.
        > >
        > > Is this a 5.5 bug?
        > >
        > > Thanks everyone..
        > >
        > > b.
      • ri_uffa
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 17, 2005
          For reference, I solved this way: get rid of Unslung and flash with
          OpenSlug instead.

        • Philip Johnson
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 17, 2005
            On 17 Aug 2005, at 16:25, ri_uffa wrote:
            > For reference, I solved this way: get rid of Unslung and flash with
            > OpenSlug instead

            Thank you for posting what you did.
            However, switching to OpenSlug isn't really a solution to the
            problem, it's more of a workaround as you didn't actually find the
            fault inside the [Unslung] firmware.

            Many users will not feel comfortable switching to OpenSlug (newbies/
            people not experienced with linux/*nix environments) and so this
            makes it even less a solution. As I don't know why the slug is doing
            this I would recommend (note: haven't tried this, should work in
            theory), unless someone more knowledgeable such as Byron or Rod
            replies to this thread, that unexperienced users ditch the usb drive
            and just utilize the HDD by:

            1. Boot the NSLU2 with the HDD in USB 1
            2. Via the web interface format the disk
            3. Shutdown the NSLU2
            4. Remove disk
            5. Move both disks to a Linux box
            6. Copy the partitions from the flash disk to the hard disk
            7. Run fsck on the first partition
            8. Make the filesystem on the hard disk use the new space by
            resize2fsing
            9. Plug hard disk into NSLU2 via the Disk 1 port
            10. Boot NSLU2 with just disk
            11. You may add the flash disk (once you have formatted it via
            another machine) to DISK 2 at this point if you wish to use it as an
            additional samba share.

            [EDIT: just searched the wiki and it appears someone has swapped
            HDD's from small to large following a similar procedure. see http://
            www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung]

            Regards,

            Philip Johnson
          • Rod Whitby
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 17, 2005
              On 8/18/05, Philip Johnson <plasticmonkey@...> wrote:

              > As I don't know why the slug is doing
              > this I would recommend (note: haven't tried this, should work in
              > theory), unless someone more knowledgeable such as Byron or Rod
              > replies to this thread, that unexperienced users ditch the usb drive
              > and just utilize the HDD ...

              Fully agree. It seems that there are just some flash drives out there that
              are confusing the Linksys kernel changes and causing the second disk to be
              inaccessible.
              My off-the-cuff theory is that it is flash drives that have more than one
              logical drive on it (e.g. for some security feature), and this is causing
              the Linksys scsi_scan changes to not be able to handle a "third" drive (the
              HDD on disk2).
              Since the R63 firmware has support now for multiple drives on each port,
              then one would hope that the problem goes away when the source code for the
              R63 kernel is released and incorporated into Unslung 6.x
              -- Rod

            • ri_uffa
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Philip Johnson
                <plasticmonkey@g...> wrote:
                > On 17 Aug 2005, at 16:25, ri_uffa wrote:
                > > For reference, I solved this way: get rid of Unslung and flash
                with
                > > OpenSlug instead
                >
                > Thank you for posting what you did.
                > However, switching to OpenSlug isn't really a solution to the
                > problem, it's more of a workaround as you didn't actually find the
                > fault inside the [Unslung] firmware.

                Well - for sure I didn't. :-)
                I was actually looking for some advice like "look into this log".
                Probably having a serial port would have helped as well, but I don't
                have it (yet).

                > Many users will not feel comfortable switching to OpenSlug
                (newbies/
                > people not experienced with linux/*nix environments) and so this
                > makes it even less a solution. As I don't know why the slug is
                doing

                I am not against Unslung at all, but I didn't find so terrible
                installing OpenSlug honestly.

                > this I would recommend (note: haven't tried this, should work in
                > theory), unless someone more knowledgeable such as Byron or Rod
                > replies to this thread, that unexperienced users ditch the usb
                drive
                > and just utilize the HDD by:

                Somewhere it is already written that some flash drives might not work.
                My problem is a bit different though: Disk1+Disk2 *do* work if the
                slug boots from the internal memory, but they do not if the Slug
                boots from a flash drive in Disk1.
                Everything works properly both with the Linksys firmware and with
                Unslung 5.5 beta, but not when the Unslung is unslinged to disk1.

                Thank you anyway,
                Bruno.
              • rian_ata
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
                  > Fully agree. It seems that there are just some flash drives out
                  there that
                  > are confusing the Linksys kernel changes and causing the second
                  disk to be
                  > inaccessible.
                  > My off-the-cuff theory is that it is flash drives that have more
                  than one
                  > logical drive on it (e.g. for some security feature), and this is
                  causing
                  > the Linksys scsi_scan changes to not be able to handle a "third"
                  drive (the
                  > HDD on disk2).
                  > Since the R63 firmware has support now for multiple drives on each
                  port,
                  > then one would hope that the problem goes away when the source code
                  for the
                  > R63 kernel is released and incorporated into Unslung 6.x
                  > -- Rod

                  I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
                  causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
                  partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
                  wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one partition,
                  then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
                  Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works flawlessly
                  with uNSLUng 5.5beta!

                  .:Rian_Ata:.
                • Rod Whitby
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
                    On 8/18/05, rian_ata <rianata@...> wrote:
                    > I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
                    > causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
                    > partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
                    > wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one partition,
                    > then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
                    > Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works flawlessly
                    > with uNSLUng 5.5beta!

                    Can you add that to the FAQ please?

                    -- Rod
                  • rian_ata
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
                      > Somewhere it is already written that some flash drives might not work.
                      > My problem is a bit different though: Disk1+Disk2 *do* work if the
                      > slug boots from the internal memory, but they do not if the Slug
                      > boots from a flash drive in Disk1.
                      > Everything works properly both with the Linksys firmware and with
                      > Unslung 5.5 beta, but not when the Unslung is unslinged to disk1.
                      >
                      > Thank you anyway,
                      > Bruno.

                      I have a working set-up with a 512MB flash drive on disk 1 (only 1
                      partition!) and a 200GB Maxtor OneTouch drive on disk 2. uNSLUng
                      5.5beta with unslinging to flash drive on disk 1.

                      This is especially usefull cause now my Maxtor is going into 'sleep
                      mode' after 30 minutes! I set this by creating a small FAT32 partition
                      on the Maxtor to be able to get the drive recognized by Windows to be
                      able to use Maxtor's software to set this idle time (30 min.). Before I
                      only had the drive attached and it never went into sleep because of the
                      logging activity by Linux / uNSLUng.

                      So, Bruno, you're issue is not a general issue or bug in the Linksys
                      firmware / uNSLUng, but a specific configuration or hardware issue.

                      Greetings,
                      Rianata
                    • rian_ata
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 26, 2005
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
                        wrote:
                        > On 8/18/05, rian_ata <rianata@h...> wrote:
                        > > I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
                        > > causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
                        > > partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
                        > > wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one
                        partition,
                        > > then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
                        > > Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works
                        flawlessly
                        > > with uNSLUng 5.5beta!
                        >
                        > Can you add that to the FAQ please?
                        >
                        > -- Rod
                        Please, a little more specific, cause I never added something to a
                        FAQ :-) Which one do you refer to?

                        Rian
                      • Rod Whitby
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 26, 2005
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/HomePage
                          Just add a representative question and answer at the end.
                          -- Rod
                          On 8/26/05, rian_ata <rianata@...> wrote:

                          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > On 8/18/05, rian_ata <rianata@h...> wrote:
                          > > > I can confirm that having more than one partition on a flash drive
                          > > > causes problem. When I bought a 512MB Corsair stick, having 2
                          > > > partitions by default, my Maxtor OneTouch external harddrive
                          > > > wasn't 'recognized'. After reformatting the stick to one
                          > partition,
                          > > > then reformat the stick again through the NSLU webinterface, my
                          > > > Maxtor external harddrivewas recognized as Disk 2. Works
                          > flawlessly
                          > > > with uNSLUng 5.5beta!
                          > >
                          > > Can you add that to the FAQ please?
                          > >
                          > > -- Rod
                          > Please, a little more specific, cause I never added something to a
                          > FAQ :-) Which one do you refer to?
                          >
                          > Rian

                        • Peter Boraston
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                            I get this problem too. I have two slugs, both
                            unslung to hard drives. Both operate correctly with
                            one disk attached, but as soon as second one is
                            attched, the slug freezes and control can only be
                            regained by unplugging the power cord, re-connecting
                            and rebooting without the second disk.

                            --- jtbpenguin <jbullock@...> wrote:

                            ---------------------------------
                            Hi,

                            <ri_uffa@y...> wrote:
                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > I discovered this strange problem on my slug.
                            >
                            > I put the 5.5 beta and unslinged to a memory stick
                            (512 Mb),
                            > installed packages etc. Everything works fine.
                            >
                            > But when I add something to the Disk 2 slot - either
                            another memory
                            > stick or a USB HD. The Disk 2 light does not come
                            up, the Disk 1
                            > light disappears and the slug hangs. Trying to turn
                            it off using
                            the
                            > button does not work (it beeps though) and the only
                            way is to
                            remove
                            > the power cable..
                            >
                            > I tried with two different 512 Mb memory sticks,
                            unslinged several
                            > times, reflashed twice.. no avail.
                            > I also made the test on another slug, same problem.
                            >
                            > Note that booting without a disk attached and
                            plugging the drive
                            > after the boot works perfectly.
                            > I didn't unsling to Disk 2 yet, but I'll try that
                            shortly.

                            > Is this a 5.5 bug?
                            >
                            > Thanks everyone..
                            >
                            > b.

                            Terms of Service.

                            ---------------------------------

                          • vanrandy2000
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 2, 2005
                              I am having a very similiar problem. I run Linksys firmware R63
                              though. I just bought it two days ago from DELL. I only tried
                              attaching an NTFS HD (that's all I have now) to the port 2, which
                              totally freezes the device - power button not working, and no
                              connectivity on the network. Unplug the power cord and plug it again,
                              it can reboot sometimes, but not always. It seems to me cooling it
                              down for a while help rebooting. Anyway I haven't got any successes
                              with my NTFS HD so far.

                              I talked the issue with two guys at Linksys support. One
                              suggested "get it replaced for a good indication of defective
                              device", the other said "could be something wrong with my HD". Since
                              it doesn't look like it's my problem alone, I think this could be
                              something wrong with hardware.

                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Peter Boraston <hibciksuy@y...>