/dev/sda2 periodically remounting read-only

  • Dave Hooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi, I wrote a while back saying that /dev/sda2 seems to sometimes get remounted read-only after the slug has been running for a while.

      On a punt, I plugged my drive+usb2 enclosure into a laptop running linux, and removed and recreated the journal from both /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 partitions (i.e. tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda2 tune2fs -j /dev/sda2 )

      Seems like that maybe has actually fixed the problem! At least, since doing that, I've not found the slug to be complaining about "missing journal bitmap at block 268" any more - and since /dev/sda2 is rw like nature intended, samba functions work again (when /dev/sda2 is readonly, samba fails reliably - it looks like samba relies on passwd files or somesuch being r/w)

      I'll revert if this situation should change.. but thought this information might prove useful if anyone else is having weird "remounted read-only" messages in their logs!

      Now if only we could have tune2fs included in e2fsprogs!