Re: [nslu2-general] Unslung 5.5 symbolic link to smb.conf not working rc.samba?

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
      In message <dclstm+ma4v@...>, paulthego <p.spam@...>
      writes
      >Hi
      >
      >I have followed the instructions here http://www.nslu2-
      >linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive to attach a FAT32
      >drive and have nearly got it working the problem I am having is that
      >my rc.samba which contains
      >
      >#!/bin/sh
      >rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf
      >ln -s /opt/etc/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
      >return 1
      >
      >does not seem to delete the smb.conf out of /etc/samba and I end up
      >with 2 files named smb.conf in /etc/samba. I cannot get the symbolic
      >link to work from within the file. If I delete /etc/samba/smb.* and
      >then manually type the ln command from above and then issue
      >a /etc/rc.d/rc.samba everything works.
      >
      >Has anyone else seen this or can tell me where I've gone wrong?

      There is no actual need to use the symbolic link method, my personal
      opinion is that deleting any system file is bad practice and not needed.
      You can directly change the smb.conf file using an rc.samba diversion
      script without deleting any files. The relevant part of my script is
      below (it may line wrap in this mail message), stored in
      /unslung/rc.samba:-

      #! /bin/sh
      # Diversion script: to modify the Samba smb.conf file
      #
      # First, make a backup copy of /etc/samba/smb.conf
      if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then
      cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
      fi
      #
      # Script section for FAT32 Support
      #
      # If there is no [FAT32HDD] section then append to end of file
      if ( !(grep "\[FAT32HDD\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then
      cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
      [FAT32HDD]
      valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
      comment=FAT32 Partition
      path=/share/hddvfat/
      public=yes
      read only=no
      write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"

      EOF
      fi
      #
      # End of FAT32 script section
      #
      # Continue to start samba
      #
      return 1
      # EOF

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        In message <PO1z+tB$e67CFwKv@...>, Robert Hammond
        <rob.hammond@...> writes
        >In message <dclstm+ma4v@...>, paulthego <p.spam@...>
        >writes
        >>Hi
        >>
        >>I have followed the instructions here http://www.nslu2-
        >>linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive to attach a FAT32
        >>drive and have nearly got it working the problem I am having is that
        >>my rc.samba which contains
        >>
        >>#!/bin/sh
        >>rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf
        >>ln -s /opt/etc/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
        >>return 1
        >>
        >>does not seem to delete the smb.conf out of /etc/samba and I end up
        >>with 2 files named smb.conf in /etc/samba. I cannot get the symbolic
        >>link to work from within the file. If I delete /etc/samba/smb.* and
        >>then manually type the ln command from above and then issue
        >>a /etc/rc.d/rc.samba everything works.
        >>
        >>Has anyone else seen this or can tell me where I've gone wrong?
        >>
        >There is no actual need to use the symbolic link method, my personal
        >opinion is that deleting any system file is bad practice and not needed.
        >You can directly change the smb.conf file using an rc.samba diversion
        >script without deleting any files. The relevant part of my script is
        >below (it may line wrap in this mail message), stored in
        >/unslung/rc.samba:-
        >
        >#! /bin/sh
        ># Diversion script: to modify the Samba smb.conf file
        >#
        ># First, make a backup copy of /etc/samba/smb.conf
        >if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then
        >cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
        >fi
        >#
        ># Script section for FAT32 Support
        >#
        ># If there is no [FAT32HDD] section then append to end of file
        >if ( !(grep "\[FAT32HDD\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then
        >cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
        >[FAT32HDD]
        >valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
        >comment=FAT32 Partition
        >path=/share/hddvfat/
        >public=yes
        >read only=no
        >write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"
        >
        >EOF
        >fi
        >#
        ># End of FAT32 script section
        >#
        ># Continue to start samba
        >#
        >return 1
        ># EOF

        Many apologies, I knew it would line wrap so have re-posted the two
        sections below.

        if [ ! -e /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig ]; then
        cp -p /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
        fi

        if ( !(grep "\[FAT32HDD\]" /etc/samba/smb.conf -q) ) then
        cat << EOF >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
        [FAT32HDD]
        valid users=@"administrators",@"everyone"
        comment=FAT32 Partition
        path=/share/hddvfat/
        public=yes
        read only=no
        write list=@"administrators",@"everyone"

        EOF
        fi

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
      • paulthego
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          Thanks for the help / tips.

          I have discovered a bigger problem and that is my rootfs is not on my
          Hard disk but still in flash so I am going to start again from scratch.
          Hopefully I will get to the same point.