native toolchain questions

  • lance_benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2005
      As a linux newbie, I tried to follow the howto to install the
      native development toolchain. I got to the point where it
      suggested creating a new user, and to "make sure that the
      user's shell is set to /opt/bin/bash". I google to find how
      to create a new user. It suggested to use useradd. That
      command did not exist in the shell I was using as root (the
      passwd file says "/opt/bin/sh", but on logging in it says
      Busybox ash), so I used the web interface to create a new
      user. I could not log into that user with PuTTY (it said
      invalid password, but I went back to the web interface and
      changed the password, so I know I was entering the right
      one--back thru PuTTY, and still invalid password). (I think
      I rebooted at all the appropriate points, and I have the
      /etc/shells file pointing to /bin/sh and /bin/bash).

      So I edited /share/hdd/conf/passwd to make bash the shell for
      root, but then I couldn't log in as root. I unplugged the
      hard drive, rebooted, enabled telnet, telnetted back in,
      plugged in the drive, re-edited the passwd file, rebooted,
      and was able to PuTTY back in.

      My question is, how do I make bash the shell for root (if
      that is what I want to do, so I can run useradd). Or how
      do I otherwise create a new user (I also edited the passwd
      file to insert a new user, and copied a known encoded password
      (thanks to Jim Buzbee), but the password was not accepted
      after I rebooted).

      Also, I remain uncertain that the toolchain installation
      completed, since it ended with warning errors after configuring
      make. Should gcc or some similar compiler be in the
      installation directory?