USB drive spindown...

  • bushtor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2005

      I have read a few postings here about connected USB drives which do
      not spindown after a preset time of non-activity. Right now I'm in
      the process of purchasing a new backup system and I want to use a
      NSLU2 and two USB harddrives.

      Do you have any success stories of having two drives connected and
      automatically power down gracefully after a preset time delay? Which
      brands / current models actually *do* work?

      Have any of you seen USB external controllers which supports *two* drives?

      Thanks for comments on these issues

      best regards

      Tor
    • Todd Zebert
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        I had a similar question, so I asked both WD and Maxtor(who make the
        drives I'm using). I've included the responsed below. Perhaps
        USB/IDE controller in the case will do so?

        ===============================
        Subject
        Drive native power-saving (standby) spin down?

        Discussion Thread
        Response (Don S.) 05/25/2005 04:52 PM
        Dear Todd,

        Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

        Though Western Digital drives support the powe saving feature it is
        only controlable by the BIOS and operating system.

        Sincerely,
        Don S.
        Western Digital Service and Support
        http://support.wdc.com
        Customer (Todd) 05/24/2005 05:46 PM
        I would like to know if this drive has any native power-saving
        (standby) spin down capability, outside of what the PC BIOS or OS may
        have.

        WD Caviar Special Edition EIDE drive WD2500JB

        Thanks,
        Todd

        ====================================

        Subject
        Native drive power-saving (standby) spin down?

        Discussion Thread
        Response (TSBrian54) 05/25/2005 02:26 PM
        Dear Todd:

        Thank you for sending your MAXTOR E-mail inquiry.

        Maxtor ATA drives do not have native power management, and all power
        management is controlled by your computer. Therefore, all power
        management settings for this drive are determined by your BIOS and
        operating system.

        If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

        Thank you,
        Maxtor Technical Assistance
        Brian Cowan
        1-800 2MAXTOR (voice)
        353 1 204 1111 (International)

        Customer 05/24/2005 06:41 PM
        I would like to know if this drive has any native power-saving
        (standby) spin down capability, outside of what the PC BIOS or OS may
        have,

        Maxtor Ultra16 PATA 7200 250GB hard drive, L01R250
        =======================================

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bushtor" <bushtor@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have read a few postings here about connected USB drives which do
        > not spindown after a preset time of non-activity. Right now I'm in
        > the process of purchasing a new backup system and I want to use a
        > NSLU2 and two USB harddrives.
        >
        > Do you have any success stories of having two drives connected and
        > automatically power down gracefully after a preset time delay?
        Which
        > brands / current models actually *do* work?
        >
        > Have any of you seen USB external controllers which supports *two*
        drives?

        > Thanks for comments on these issues
        >
        > best regards
        >
        > Tor
      • Philip Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
          Hmmm, what I was going to suggest has been mentioned on the list
          before and I'm not sure if it worked.

          However, in case you want to give it a shot, it basically entails
          using hdparm with the -S flag. From the hdparm manpage:

          -S
          Set the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive. This value is used
          by the drive to determine how long to wait (with no disk activity)
          before turning off the spindle motor to save power. Under such
          circumstances, the drive may take as long as 30 seconds to respond to
          a subsequent disk access, though most drives are much quicker. The
          encoding of the timeout value is somewhat peculiar. A value of zero
          means "off". Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds, for
          timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes. Values from 241 to 251 specify
          from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, for timeouts from 30 minutes to 5.5
          hours. A value of 252 signifies a timeout of 21 minutes, 253 sets a
          vendor-defined timeout, and 255 is interpreted as 21 minutes plus 15
          seconds.

          If this works, you'll probably need to create a diversion script to
          set it at boot.

          Regards,

          Philip Johnson