Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Share lost

  • Philip Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29 12:19 PM
      Hi Andrew,

      I take it you're running the stock Linksys firmware, V2.3R29. I
      believe (although I am not 100% certain) - that Linksys removed the
      option of telnetting into the NSLU2 with that particular firmware
      release.

      As Matt suggested, have you ran checkdisk from the NSLU2's web interface?
      From what you have described ' I powered down my NSLU2 accidently by
      removing the power lead before it was switched off. ' I'm guessing a
      file or your filesystem is corrupt, or a write to a file was not
      completed before shutdown.

      * advertisement *
      Upgrade to Unslung 5.5 /Today!/ - It'll enable us to both diagnose
      problems easier, and fix them - and it might even make you feel all
      warm and fuzzy inside. ;)
      *\ advertisement *

      Regards,
      --
      Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey)
      +44 (0)20 7870 2206
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31 1:40 PM
        Thanks

        I'm a bit nervous about going unslung..sounds like it might be a bit
        difficult (I know nothing about Linux although maybe it's time to
        learn). There seems to be plent of support in this forum though.

        Is it difficult to do for someone with no Linux knowledge? Is it
        stable? If something goes wrong is there sufficient support from the
        unslung community to resolve the issue? Can I revert back to vanilla
        firmaware if it all goes pearshaped?

        It does sound like it provides some interesting capabilities though
        and I take it I would then have full control over the thing for
        resolving issues like this.

        Where would I get instructions for the move to unslung 5.5? And where
        would I get the software?

        Is there a simpler approach?

        Can I somehow re-set the NSLU2 back to it's original state, hook up
        the hard drive again and create the users, groups and shares again
        without reformatting the HDD?

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Philip Johnson