Enable dynamic dns through router

  • lance_benson
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 20, 2005
      On my unslung 5.5 slug I have followed the instructions in
      HOWTO/UseTheThttpdWebserver to have the thttpd server running as
      mythttpd on port 900, and I can access it locally from my PC. I'm
      trying to use hn.org to provide dynamic dns. My problem is that I
      don't seem to be able to get the router set up properly.

      The router is a netgear 614v5. As per the howto, I have looked on the
      router's upnp settings page and turned UPnP on. As the instruction
      accompanying that page says, "The UPnP Portmap Table displays the IP
      address of each UPnP device that is currently accessing the router and
      which ports (Internal and External) that device has opened." However,
      the portmap table shows nothing. Is there something more I need to do
      on the slug side to get the router to realize that mythttpd is willing
      to talk to the outside?
    • Bill Wallace
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 20, 2005
        I have been to the wiki to read up on using ipkg, and would like to
        install and ftp server on my slug. My problem, and this is going to sound
        dumb but here goes, is that I believe I am missing a first step. All wiki
        data tells me the first step is to "ipkg update." When I type that
        command, I get the response:

        ipkg: No such file or directory

        Is there an ipkg program I must download and install first. If so, where
        can I find it?

        Sorry about the basic question, but I could not find an answer in the wiki.

        Bill
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 20, 2005
          Bill,

          You've missed some steps from the README, and violated rule #2 of this
          community (see www.nslu2-linux.org) :-)

          You need to run "unsling" first, so that you don't fill up your flash
          and cause your slug to be unbootable. Once you have unslung to an
          external disk, then the ipkg command magically appears ready for use.

          -- Rod

          On 7/21/05, Bill Wallace <bwalrus@...> wrote:
          > I have been to the wiki to read up on using ipkg, and would like to
          > install and ftp server on my slug. My problem, and this is going to sound
          > dumb but here goes, is that I believe I am missing a first step. All wiki
          > data tells me the first step is to "ipkg update." When I type that
          > command, I get the response:
          >
          > ipkg: No such file or directory
          >
          > Is there an ipkg program I must download and install first. If so, where
          > can I find it?
          >
          > Sorry about the basic question, but I could not find an answer in the wiki.
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • lance_benson
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lance_benson"
            <lance_benson@c...> wrote:
            > On my unslung 5.5 slug I have followed the instructions in
            > HOWTO/UseTheThttpdWebserver to have the thttpd server running as
            > mythttpd on port 900, and I can access it locally from my PC. I'm
            > trying to use hn.org to provide dynamic dns. My problem is that I
            > don't seem to be able to get the router set up properly.
            >
            > The router is a netgear 614v5. As per the howto, I have looked on
            > the router's upnp settings page and turned UPnP on. As the
            > instruction accompanying that page says, "The UPnP Portmap Table
            > displays the IP address of each UPnP device that is currently
            > accessing the router and which ports (Internal and External) that
            > device has opened." However, the portmap table shows nothing.
            > Is there something more I need to do on the slug side to get the
            > router to realize that mythttpd is willing to talk to the outside?

            I note that on the system page of the Linksys Administration web
            controller, there is a check box for UPnP support. That is
            checked. The port number specified is 80. I assumed that if I
            changed that to the mythttpd port, 900, I would lose access to NSLU2
            web administration. Is this correct?
          • Bill Wallace
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
              I'm sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. I have successfully
              unslung the slug (version 5), and it has been working steadily for about
              three months now. And that is just my problem: the ipkg command has not
              magically appeared. I assume ipkg was supposed to be installed as part of
              the unslung process, but it's not working for me. Could someone tell me
              in which directory it was installed, so I can double check?

              Again, I HAVE searced the wiki for help on this issue, with no luck.

              Bill

              On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:08:41 -0700, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...>
              wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > You've missed some steps from the README, and violated rule #2 of this
              > community (see www.nslu2-linux.org) :-)
              >
              > You need to run "unsling" first, so that you don't fill up your flash
              > and cause your slug to be unbootable. Once you have unslung to an
              > external disk, then the ipkg command magically appears ready for use.
              >
              > -- Rod
              >
              > On 7/21/05, Bill Wallace <bwalrus@...> wrote:
              >> I have been to the wiki to read up on using ipkg, and would like to
              >> install and ftp server on my slug. My problem, and this is going to
              >> sound
              >> dumb but here goes, is that I believe I am missing a first step. All
              >> wiki
              >> data tells me the first step is to "ipkg update." When I type that
              >> command, I get the response:
              >>
              >> ipkg: No such file or directory
              >>
              >> Is there an ipkg program I must download and install first. If so, where
              >> can I find it?
              >>
              >> Sorry about the basic question, but I could not find an answer in the
              >> wiki.
              >>
              >> Bill
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Firmware development Nslu2 Computer security
              > Computer hardware security Computer training Used computer hardware
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "nslu2-general" on the web.

            • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
                /usr/bin/ipkg

                Is /usr/bin in you path. If it is and ipkg is not there, copy it from
                /initrd/usr/bin.

                best,

                -- Inge

                > I'm sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. I have
                > successfully
                > unslung the slug (version 5), and it has been working
                > steadily for about
                > three months now. And that is just my problem: the ipkg
                > command has not
                > magically appeared. I assume ipkg was supposed to be
                > installed as part of
                > the unslung process, but it's not working for me. Could
                > someone tell me
                > in which directory it was installed, so I can double
                > check?
                >
                > Again, I HAVE searced the wiki for help on this issue,
                > with no luck.
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:08:41 -0700, Rod Whitby
                > <list.yahoo@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Bill,
                > >
                > > You've missed some steps from the README, and violated
                > > rule #2 of this community (see www.nslu2-linux.org) :-)
                > >
                > > You need to run "unsling" first, so that you don't fill
                > > up your flash and cause your slug to be unbootable.
                > > Once you have unslung to an external disk, then the
                > > ipkg command magically appears ready for use.
                > >
                > > -- Rod
                > >
                > > On 7/21/05, Bill Wallace <bwalrus@...> wrote:
                > > > I have been to the wiki to read up on using ipkg, and
                > > > would like to install and ftp server on my slug. My
                > > > problem, and this is going to sound
                > > > dumb but here goes, is that I believe I am missing a
                > > > first step. All wiki
                > > > data tells me the first step is to "ipkg update."
                > > > When I type that command, I get the response:
                > > >
                > > > ipkg: No such file or directory
                > > >
                > > > Is there an ipkg program I must download and install
                > > > first. If so, where can I find it?
                > > >
                > > > Sorry about the basic question, but I could not find
                > > > an answer in the wiki.
                > > >
                > > > Bill
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > > Firmware development Nslu2 Computer security
                > > Computer hardware security Computer training Used
                > > computer hardware
                > >
                > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > >
                > > Visit your group "nslu2-general" on the web.

                > > Terms of Service.
                > >

                > --
                > Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
                > http://www.opera.com/mail/

              • Robert Hammond
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
                  In message <dbocms+5dqa@...>, lance_benson
                  <lance_benson@...> writes
                  >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lance_benson"
                  ><lance_benson@c...> wrote:
                  >> On my unslung 5.5 slug I have followed the instructions in
                  >> HOWTO/UseTheThttpdWebserver to have the thttpd server running as
                  >> mythttpd on port 900, and I can access it locally from my PC. I'm
                  >> trying to use hn.org to provide dynamic dns. My problem is that I
                  >> don't seem to be able to get the router set up properly.
                  >>
                  >> The router is a netgear 614v5. As per the howto, I have looked on
                  >> the router's upnp settings page and turned UPnP on. As the
                  >> instruction accompanying that page says, "The UPnP Portmap Table
                  >> displays the IP address of each UPnP device that is currently
                  >> accessing the router and which ports (Internal and External) that
                  >> device has opened." However, the portmap table shows nothing.
                  >> Is there something more I need to do on the slug side to get the
                  >> router to realize that mythttpd is willing to talk to the outside?
                  >
                  >I note that on the system page of the Linksys Administration web
                  >controller, there is a check box for UPnP support. That is
                  >checked. The port number specified is 80. I assumed that if I
                  >changed that to the mythttpd port, 900, I would lose access to NSLU2
                  >web administration. Is this correct?

                  Note that with most low cost routers there are two types of port
                  forwarding :-
                  1. Forward an incoming port to an internal IP (uses the same port
                  number).
                  and
                  2. Forward an incoming port to an internal IP on another port.

                  There is no need to enable UPnP support, the Wiki page probably needs
                  some clarification, with most Linksys routers, port forwarding across
                  ports is part of there UPnP Web admin page, netgear probably work
                  differently.

                  You need to check through the netgear manual, there must be a config
                  page where you can forward incoming port 80 (i.e from the Wan side of
                  the router) to internal IP 192.168.1.77 on internal Port 900.
                  All assuming that your NSLU2 is on that IP.
                  --
                  Robert Hammond
                  PGP:0x154144DA
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
                    Thanks Inge. I found that ipkg is actually labeled ipkg-cl, and by typing
                    in the correct name, everything works.

                    Can someone tell me, all the info on the wiki indicates to type ipkg, and
                    I have to type ipkg-cl, is this something we all assume I should know? Or
                    do I have a different version of ipkg?

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
                      No - it is really named /usr/bin/ipkg, but it is a symbolic link to
                      /usr/bin/ipkg-cl, so somehow your link must have been deleted.

                      Just do "cd /usr/bin; ln -s ipkg-cl ipkg" and it will be restored.

                      best,

                      -- Inge

                      > Thanks Inge. I found that ipkg is actually labeled
                      > ipkg-cl, and by typing
                      > in the correct name, everything works.
                      >
                      > Can someone tell me, all the info on the wiki indicates
                      > to type ipkg, and
                      > I have to type ipkg-cl, is this something we all assume I
                      > should know? Or
                      > do I have a different version of ipkg?
                      >
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:19:53 -0700, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                      > <i.b.arnesen@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > /usr/bin/ipkg
                      > >
                      > > Is /usr/bin in you path. If it is and ipkg is not
                      > > there, copy it from /initrd/usr/bin.
                      > >
                      > > best,
                      > >
                      > > -- Inge

                    • Bill Wallace
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 21, 2005
                        Now that's information I can use! Thanks for the help.

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 22, 2005
                          Bill,

                          Please post the output of running 'df' and 'cat /proc/mounts' and 'cat
                          /proc/partitions'.

                          -- Rod
                        • Bill Wallace
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 22, 2005
                            Thanks for the help, Rod, but I got it figured. Apparently, the symbolic
                            link was broken, so typing "ipkg" had no effect. Inge showed be how to
                            create a symbolic link (ln -s ipkg-cl ipkg) and that fixed it. Ipkg is up
                            and running.

                            Bill

                            On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:24:03 -0700, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Bill,
                            >
                            > Please post the output of running 'df' and 'cat /proc/mounts' and 'cat
                            > /proc/partitions'.
                            >
                            > -- Rod
                            >
                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >
                            > Visit your group "nslu2-general" on the web.

                          • nhjeepxj
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                              I see you've had the same pleasant experience with Rod that I just did
                              Bill. Strangley, I had exactly the same problem as you. Only I got
                              Rod's reply beginning with "Sigh". Thanks to you and to Inge, I too
                              have resolved the problem. Stop being a turd Rod, people post
                              questions looking for help, not to get replys from condescending
                              jackasses who can't take the time to try and help.

                              George Skuse

                            • Rod Whitby
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                On 7/31/05, nhjeepxj <farkin.bastage@...> wrote:
                                > I see you've had the same pleasant experience with Rod that I just did
                                > Bill. Strangley, I had exactly the same problem as you. Only I got
                                > Rod's reply beginning with "Sigh". Thanks to you and to Inge, I too
                                > have resolved the problem. Stop being a turd Rod, people post
                                > questions looking for help, not to get replys from condescending
                                > jackasses who can't take the time to try and help.

                                George,

                                There is a big difference between Bill's question here, and your
                                question on nslu2-linux - Bill asked the question in the correct
                                mailing list and therefore got a reply.

                                You asked an end-user question in a developer mailing list
                                (nslu2-linux). You should expect a corresponding response. If you
                                don't like the response you got on nslu2-linux, then please remove
                                yourself from that list (note that *I* am the owner of that list, and
                                have clearly stated the charter of that list, so if you don't agree
                                with they way the charter is being enforced on nslu2-linux, then
                                please remove yourself from that mailing list).

                                Bill asked the same question on nslu2-general, and got helpful
                                violating rules comment, and then a note about the most common reason
                                for ipkg not being found).

                                Note the pattern. Ask the question in the right mailing list, and you
                                will get a helpful response from me (or a polite pointer to the FAQ).
                                Ask the question in the *wrong* mailing list, and the response will
                                still be polite (I didn't call you names, for instance, and I did give
                                you the list of information that you would need to provide for someone
                                to help you in nslu2-general), but may very well be taken as
                                condescending, because you are asking an end-user question on a
                                development mailing list - a mailing list that *I* set up for
                                developers to use.

                                Quite simply, if you respect the different charters of nslu2-general
                                and nslu2-linux, then you will get my respect in return. If you can't
                                respect the charter of nslu2-linux, then please unsubscribe from that
                                list.

                                And please don't call people names on either list. That's just common courtesy.

                                -- Rod
                              • Philip Johnson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                  I've had a few moments to calm down after your message to the list.
                                  Here is my best attempt at writing a calm, civilized message back to
                                  you.

                                  As you didn't use any large-scale profanities, I'm going to assume
                                  you're a fairly decent guy who perhaps doesn't yet understand how the
                                  open source world works. I therefore am not going to use any large-
                                  scale profanities towards you and I'm going to explain a few things.

                                  Unslung, OpenSlug, The NSLU2-linux.org website, The Yahoo! NSLU2
                                  Mailing Lists and all projects related are a open source, community
                                  based and driven _by people who love what they do, without pay and in
                                  their spare time_. Nobody is obliged to help you, nor to continue
                                  developing or contributing.

                                  However, generally they're all nice guys who /want/ to help you and
                                  want you in their community - but in order for them to do this and
                                  keep being productive amongst other things - they have to apply some
                                  rules and regulations.

                                  The reason Rod 'sighed', or gave you the response he did was because
                                  we get hundreds of that *exact* email _every_single_year_ - which
                                  wastes time (our free/leisure time!) and therefore productivity!
                                  Surely if we answer a question once, we shouldn't really have to
                                  answer it again - right?

                                  To make things worse, when we get a frequently asked question such as
                                  yours, we either post the answer on the wiki or incorporate it into
                                  the main README - and when people sign up to be part of our community
                                  we ask that they've looked at both in-depth before posting to the
                                  mailing list. You didn't read the README properly, as asked.

                                  You welched on the deal.

                                  Byron spends hours writing that README for others, yet you ignore a
                                  highly important part of it clearly marked out. I would see that as
                                  disrespectful - wouldn't you if someone didn't bother reading a
                                  README that you'd written?.

                                  I don't think you're a bad guy George. Please try and see our
                                  perspective.

                                  Oh, and by the way - Rod practically founded this community. It would
                                  not be where it is today without him taking the "time to try and
                                  help". Not to mention he's one of the soundest guys around.

                                  Regards,
                                  ---
                                  Philip Johnson (plasticmonkey, philipjohnson, tuxatemyfavouritebiscuit)
                                  +44 (0)2078702206
                                  Please avoid sending me word or powerpoint attachments.
                                • Rod Whitby
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                    On 7/22/05, Bill Wallace <bwalrus@...> wrote:
                                    > Thanks for the help, Rod, but I got it figured. Apparently, the symbolic
                                    > link was broken, so typing "ipkg" had no effect. Inge showed be how to
                                    > create a symbolic link (ln -s ipkg-cl ipkg) and that fixed it. Ipkg is up
                                    > and running.

                                    Bill,

                                    Did you work out how the symlink went missing in the first place?

                                    The reason why I ask is because the only cause we've seen for that
                                    symptom so far is when people are trying to run ipkg on the flash
                                    rootfs. If there is a different cause for that symptom, then we need
                                    to know about it so we can fix it.

                                    -- Rod
                                  • Bill Wallace
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                      Whoa! And Bill suddenly realizes he is subscribed to two lists, general
                                      and linux. Sorry guys, I didn't know. I will redstrict my questions to
                                      the general list from now on...

                                      Bill

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                        Yeah.

                                        Rod, no worries here, I'm perfectly hapopy and extremely gracious to all
                                        you guys for youyr help. I'm a newbie to linux, and I am using my NSLU2
                                        as an experiment to teach me a bit about linux.

                                        Yes, I got tons of help from you guys and fixed the problem.

                                        It turns out, I missed a step when unslinging my disk, and while I thought
                                        I was running the filesystem off the disk, I was running it off the
                                        flash. I used ipkg and came perilously close to bricking my slug, but I
                                        didn't. I have sinced reflashed, and everything is fine now.

                                        Thanks again to Rod, Inge, Robert and Adrian for the help.

                                        Bill

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                          Let me just put a last word in here. I think it was Robert who pointed
                                          out to me that if you are running unslung 5.5 and the ipkg symbolic link
                                          is broken, it's probably because your are running off the flash. This was
                                          done to prevent people from filling the flash. This is true, yes?

                                          So, message is, if ipkg doesn't work, double-check to make sure you're not
                                          running aff the flash, correct?

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                            On 7/31/05, Bill Wallace <bwalrus@...> wrote:
                                            > It turns out, I missed a step when unslinging my disk, and while I thought
                                            > I was running the filesystem off the disk, I was running it off the
                                            > flash. I used ipkg and came perilously close to bricking my slug, but I
                                            > didn't. I have sinced reflashed, and everything is fine now.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks again to Rod, Inge, Robert and Adrian for the help.

                                            Bill,

                                            No problems - that's what this list (nslu2-general) is here for.

                                            Can you please update the FAQ page on the wiki with a question and
                                            answer worded in the way which would have helped you figure out what
                                            was happening?

                                            Thats the best thanks you can give us - save us all from having to
                                            answer the same question again by adding it to the FAQ :-)

                                            -- Rod
                                          • Rod Whitby
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                              On 7/31/05, Bill Wallace <bwalrus@...> wrote:
                                              > Let me just put a last word in here. I think it was Robert who pointed
                                              > out to me that if you are running unslung 5.5 and the ipkg symbolic link
                                              > is broken, it's probably because your are running off the flash. This was
                                              > done to prevent people from filling the flash. This is true, yes?
                                              >
                                              > So, message is, if ipkg doesn't work, double-check to make sure you're not
                                              > running aff the flash, correct?

                                              Correct. Please add this to the FAQ, including the commands to type
                                              (df) and output to expect to confirm whether you're running from flash
                                              or not :-)

                                              Is there any way that we can improve the README so that you wouldn't
                                              have missed the steps that you did?

                                              If so, please suggest a rewording at
                                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SuggestedChangesToTheReadme
                                              and that will appear in the next binary release's README.

                                              -- Rod
                                            • Bill Wallace
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                                Yeah, I will update. I leave tomorrow for a well-earned surf trip in
                                                Mexico, but when I get back, I will update.

                                                Bill

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 30, 2005
                                                  On 31 Jul 2005, at 02:19, Rod Whitby wrote:
                                                  > Is there any way that we can improve the README so that you wouldn't
                                                  > have missed the steps that you did?
                                                  >
                                                  > If so, please suggest a rewording at
                                                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SuggestedChangesToTheReadme
                                                  > and that will appear in the next binary release's README.

                                                  You could also take part in our Friendly Documentation Project! :-)
                                                  It's fun and currently slow-moving but it'll make you feel all warm
                                                  and fuzzy inside ;-)

                                                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FriendlyDocumentation

                                                  Regards,
                                                  --
                                                  Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey)
                                                  +44 (0)20 7870 2206
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 1 3:14 PM
                                                    Just a note to correct some incorrect information that was on the list
                                                    with respect to ipkg:

                                                    > No - it is really named /usr/bin/ipkg, but it is a symbolic link to
                                                    > /usr/bin/ipkg-cl, so somehow your link must have been deleted.
                                                    >
                                                    > Just do "cd /usr/bin; ln -s ipkg-cl ipkg" and it will be restored.

                                                    Do *NOT* create that symlink. It will be created automatically for you
                                                    when you successfully unsling to an external disk and reboot.

                                                    If you follow the incorrect advice above, then you are *very* likely
                                                    to fill your internal flash and cause your slug to require a reflash.

                                                    -- Rod
                                                  • Theron Becker
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 17 6:24 AM
                                                      OK, is there a fix for those of us that have successfully unslung (or
                                                      at least "think" we have successfully unslung) to an external disk and
                                                      still get the "cannot find file" error when we type "ipkg" if the
                                                      symlink should not be created manually?

                                                      Theron
                                                    • Byron Todd
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 17 9:44 AM
                                                        That would be the issue. If you're getting "cannot find file" error
                                                        when you type ipkg - you *haven't* successfully unslung.

                                                        You need to go back and follow the README steps - because somewhere
                                                        along the line, something didn't work. Alternatively, head over to
                                                        the #nslu2-general IRC chat at irc.freenode.net and someone should be
                                                        able to help you as you try to figure out what went wrong.

                                                        Byron

                                                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Theron Becker" <tjbecker@a...>