Re: NSLU2 issues and quirks??

  • boardwatchr
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "greatcockup" <nick_CLAY@b...>
      wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "swo1970" <swo1970@y...>
      wrote:
      > > I am a new user of the nslu2 and I can't seem to figure out if it
      > is a bad product or if it is me
      > > expecting too much out of it. I am using the latest firmware 29
      > and this thing is quite
      > > unreliable. I have a buffalo 160 attached to it. I wanted to put
      > all of my xvid movies and
      > > mp3's on it so that all my computers could access them.
      > Unfortuanely this thing cause the
      > > drive to hang on a daily basis and I have to restart it several
      > times a day. I am using a mac
      > > and a pc and I get the same results. I never had this problem
      with
      > the drive when I had it
      > > shared to all computers when it was just attached to my pc. I
      > can't even use it to update my
      > > ipod with itunes because itunes just sits there "updating ipod"
      > for hours and hours at a time.
      > > I never had this problem with I was accessing the drive on my mac
      > when it was attached to
      > > the pc. Am I expecting too much from this thing?
      >
      > On transfer speeds, see this post:

      > I'm not familiar with the buffalo 160, but have you checked the
      > database and read up on external drives and compatibility? I read
      > what you said about not wanting to mess with the firmware, but
      > there's a lot of evidence that the unslung firmware improves
      > compatibility and irons out some of these problems. Despite finding
      > it a bit daunting I'm very glad I took the plunge.
      >
      > I've got MPEG2 movies on one of the drives attached to my NSLU2 and
      > they play just fine on my desktop pc.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >
      > Nick

      I too, am using a MAC and a PC to access my nslu2. I am currently
      using the UNSLUG software (version 4.20) and have been unable to
      create folders (directories) on the share access to the drive from
      either a MAC or a PC. I am able to copy individual files however to
      the disk. I'm using a Maxtor 250GB USB disk attached to my SLUG.

      Also, is there a limit to the storage available for version 4.20 on
      the shares? I'm having problems when trying to copy files
      exceeding
      2.7 GB's.

      Chuck
    • Jim Logan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2005
        On 7/5/2005 4:32 PM, swo1970 wrote:

        >I am a new user of the nslu2 and I can't seem to figure out if it is a bad product or if it is me
        >expecting too much out of it. I am using the latest firmware 29 and this thing is quite
        >unreliable. I have a buffalo 160 attached to it. I wanted to put all of my xvid movies and
        >mp3's on it so that all my computers could access them. Unfortuanely this thing cause the
        >drive to hang on a daily basis and I have to restart it several times a day. I am using a mac
        >and a pc and I get the same results. I never had this problem with the drive when I had it
        >shared to all computers when it was just attached to my pc. I can't even use it to update my
        >ipod with itunes because itunes just sits there "updating ipod" for hours and hours at a time.
        >I never had this problem with I was accessing the drive on my mac when it was attached to
        >the pc. Am I expecting too much from this thing?

        Are you running the Cox security software? I went from about 40mb/s to
        about 9mb/s throughput when I started using their software. Slower PCs
        might make that figure even lower. My guess is that it inspects every
        packet that flows across the interface. It took me a couple of days to
        figure out that nothing was wrong with my NSLU2!

        -Jim