Re: vsftpd

  • rst77469
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
      Ryan

      I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I gave
      up and got proftpd to work...here's an except from my note if you go
      the proftpd route
      ----
      After giving up on vsftpd, I installed proftpd and it wouldn't work
      either. I tried to run proftpd as a standalone and that didn't work
      either.

      I finally traced this to an /opt/etc/inetd.conf file that still had the
      vsftpd config information in it (after I used ipkg remove vsftpd).

      "ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd
      /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf"

      which is created by the diversion script I added as in the vsfptd howto.

      when I created a new blank inetd.conf, proftpd worked fine

      As I noted I'm a linux newbie, but my guess is that the old line in the
      inetd.conf was consuming port 21 with the ftp command. After I cleared
      the inetd.conf file, proftpd works fine.
      -----
      I just wonder if the advice in the howto to make the diversion script
      has some error in it. Suggest you try deleting the diversion script
      and the inet.d file mentoned above and see if vsftpd works. I'd be
      interested because proftpd seems somewhat slugish in response.

      Best of luck

      Bob (fellow linux newbie).

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:
      > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
      > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
      > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
      > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
      > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would
      just
      > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
      > assistance would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ryan
    • rndilger
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rst77469" <rst@n...> wrote:
        > Ryan
        >
        > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
        gave
        > up and got proftpd to work...

        Bob,

        I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
        getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
        howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
        diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
        this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
        would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
        exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
        scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

        This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
        thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
        these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
        like myself.

        Thanks,

        Ryan
      • Aaron Hoyt
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
          Ryan,
          You are right. I, another newbie have managed to configure vsftpd.
          I did it on an older release of Unslung 3.18.
          I am suspicious something in a later release broke things due to the
          attention and lack of resolution.
          Can you restate the questions you are having and so I can see if I have
          anything that might be of value to add?
          Thanks,
          Aaron

          > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
          gave
          > up and got proftpd to work...

          Bob,

          I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
          getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
          howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
          diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
          this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
          would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
          exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
          scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

          This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
          thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
          these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
          like myself.

          Thanks,

          Ryan

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • caplink811
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...>

            > diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
            > this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore,

            Sure, that's simple ;-)

            1. Uninstall vsftpd -> ipkg remove vsftpd
            2. update the package list -> ipkg update
            3. Install InetUtils -> ipkg install inetutils
            - This install an other inetd which is placed in /opt/libexec.
            - Create the file /opt/etc/inetd.conf, and fill it with

            [root@linus root]$ cat /opt/etc/inetd.conf
            telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd
            ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd vsftpd
            /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf

            (The third line is the remain part of the second line, so put line 2+3
            in one line)

            - Run /opt/etc/init.d/S52inetd, this command kills the linksys inetd
            and start the new inetd in /opt/libexec. All files in /opt/etc/init.d
            which start with the letter S, are executed at each startup of the
            nslu.
            - Now it's a good time to try telnet with the new inetd, this should
            work. If the telnet access works, then you can try to ftp in.
            - If things went wrong, then you should check, whether the right inetd
            is running

            [root@linus conf]$ ps -ef
            13626 root 1520 S /opt/libexec/inetd /opt/etc/inetd.conf

            Should give you an output like above (1st and 3rd column can differs).

            After this, there's no need for a diversion script
            ([/unslung/|/share/hdd/conf/unslung/]rc.xinetd) which modifies the
            /etc/inetd.conf, cause this file is no more in use.

            bye
            JrB

            PS: feel free to join #nslu2-general at irc.freenode.net
          • AdamB
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
              <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:

              > Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
              > program.
              >
              > Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
              > (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).
              >
              > # netstat -N
              > Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
              > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
              > State
              > tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
              > ESTABLISHED
              > tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
              > ESTABLISHED

              I believe that is a "feature" not a bug, I've noticed such issues on
              other Linux boxes and with the Solaris version (based on different
              source). The program does its best to display the address and port
              within a quite limited field width. Sometimes it makes a bad decision
              as to how to acheive that.
            • rndilger
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                Aaron,

                Sure, all I am trying to do is to get vsftpd running. I've already
                updated busybox but cannot see that vsftpd is running using the ps
                command. I originally followed the how-to and added a diversion
                script. However, restarting xinetd gave me the error that the socket
                was busy and it could not use that socket. Therefore, I posed the
                question whether anyone could spell out (in simple terms) how they
                had successfully configured vsftpd. I received a good explanation
                from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                install because I have updated busybox.

                So my question boils down to whether someone can walk a newbie
                through a seemingly simple configuration of vsftpd.

                Thanks,

                Ryan

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Hoyt" <aaron.hoyt@v...>

              • Aaron Hoyt
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Ryan,
                  your other set of packages are well beyond what I used. FTP was my first
                  and only concern so after reading the WIKI I did not update Busybox and did
                  not install any other packages first.
                  The biggest lesson that I learned (keep in mind I am real new to this) was
                  that I needed to do my editing of my scripts on the box itself using telnet
                  or ssh. I was creating the scripts on my XP machine using notepad and then
                  transferring them to the box. This proved to be useless and frustrating and
                  until I learned about vi, I was lost at getting things configured. Even
                  then, I had to do some quick google work to figure out how to operate vi.
                  Once I got to that point, I followed
                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Vsftpd basically to the letter.
                  I did follow links on that page to teach myself how to configure vsftpd to
                  my needs after it was installed.
                  I guess I can't offer much, but maybe something will lead you in a helpful
                  direction.
                  Aaron
                • caplink811
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:

                    Hi,

                    > from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                    > thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                    > install because I have updated busybox.

                    1st, the package is avaiable as an ipk in the repo, 2nd, if you run in
                    trouble with the installation, you should try "ipkf -force-overwrite
                    ginstall packagename", so each already existing file is overwritten by
                    the installer.

                    bye
                    JrB