Re: [nslu2-general] Re: vsftpd

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
      In message <daeqhp+rplk@...>, AdamB <slug@...>
      writes
      >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
      ><gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
      >

      >> Busybox provides netstat.
      >>

      >The busybox package can conflict with other packages if you are
      >installing a lot of packages. I packaged net-tools for the slug to get
      >round that problem. With the net-tools version of netstat then
      >
      >netstat -atp
      >
      >will tell you which program is listening on which TCP socket. It needs
      >to run as root to get the program names.

      I must have missed the introduction of this package, your command line
      above produces an informative output.

      Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
      program.

      Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
      (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).

      # netstat -N
      Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
      State
      tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
      ESTABLISHED
      tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
      ESTABLISHED
      Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
      Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
      unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 26 /var/tmp/log

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
        Ryan

        I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I gave
        up and got proftpd to work...here's an except from my note if you go
        the proftpd route
        ----
        After giving up on vsftpd, I installed proftpd and it wouldn't work
        either. I tried to run proftpd as a standalone and that didn't work
        either.

        I finally traced this to an /opt/etc/inetd.conf file that still had the
        vsftpd config information in it (after I used ipkg remove vsftpd).

        "ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd
        /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf"

        which is created by the diversion script I added as in the vsfptd howto.

        when I created a new blank inetd.conf, proftpd worked fine

        As I noted I'm a linux newbie, but my guess is that the old line in the
        inetd.conf was consuming port 21 with the ftp command. After I cleared
        the inetd.conf file, proftpd works fine.
        -----
        I just wonder if the advice in the howto to make the diversion script
        has some error in it. Suggest you try deleting the diversion script
        and the inet.d file mentoned above and see if vsftpd works. I'd be
        interested because proftpd seems somewhat slugish in response.

        Best of luck

        Bob (fellow linux newbie).

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:
        > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
        > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
        > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
        > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
        > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would
        just
        > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
        > assistance would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ryan
      • rndilger
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rst77469" <rst@n...> wrote:
          > Ryan
          >
          > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
          gave
          > up and got proftpd to work...

          Bob,

          I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
          getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
          howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
          diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
          this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
          would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
          exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
          scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

          This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
          thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
          these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
          like myself.

          Thanks,

          Ryan
        • Aaron Hoyt
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
            Ryan,
            You are right. I, another newbie have managed to configure vsftpd.
            I did it on an older release of Unslung 3.18.
            I am suspicious something in a later release broke things due to the
            attention and lack of resolution.
            Can you restate the questions you are having and so I can see if I have
            anything that might be of value to add?
            Thanks,
            Aaron

            > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
            gave
            > up and got proftpd to work...

            Bob,

            I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
            getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
            howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
            diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
            this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
            would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
            exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
            scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

            This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
            thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
            these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
            like myself.

            Thanks,

            Ryan

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • caplink811
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...>

              > diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
              > this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore,

              Sure, that's simple ;-)

              1. Uninstall vsftpd -> ipkg remove vsftpd
              2. update the package list -> ipkg update
              3. Install InetUtils -> ipkg install inetutils
              - This install an other inetd which is placed in /opt/libexec.
              - Create the file /opt/etc/inetd.conf, and fill it with

              [root@linus root]$ cat /opt/etc/inetd.conf
              telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd
              ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd vsftpd
              /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf

              (The third line is the remain part of the second line, so put line 2+3
              in one line)

              - Run /opt/etc/init.d/S52inetd, this command kills the linksys inetd
              and start the new inetd in /opt/libexec. All files in /opt/etc/init.d
              which start with the letter S, are executed at each startup of the
              nslu.
              - Now it's a good time to try telnet with the new inetd, this should
              work. If the telnet access works, then you can try to ftp in.
              - If things went wrong, then you should check, whether the right inetd
              is running

              [root@linus conf]$ ps -ef
              13626 root 1520 S /opt/libexec/inetd /opt/etc/inetd.conf

              Should give you an output like above (1st and 3rd column can differs).

              After this, there's no need for a diversion script
              ([/unslung/|/share/hdd/conf/unslung/]rc.xinetd) which modifies the
              /etc/inetd.conf, cause this file is no more in use.

              bye
              JrB

              PS: feel free to join #nslu2-general at irc.freenode.net
            • AdamB
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:

                > Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
                > program.
                >
                > Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
                > (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).
                >
                > # netstat -N
                > Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
                > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                > State
                > tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
                > ESTABLISHED
                > tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
                > ESTABLISHED

                I believe that is a "feature" not a bug, I've noticed such issues on
                other Linux boxes and with the Solaris version (based on different
                source). The program does its best to display the address and port
                within a quite limited field width. Sometimes it makes a bad decision
                as to how to acheive that.
              • rndilger
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                  Aaron,

                  Sure, all I am trying to do is to get vsftpd running. I've already
                  updated busybox but cannot see that vsftpd is running using the ps
                  command. I originally followed the how-to and added a diversion
                  script. However, restarting xinetd gave me the error that the socket
                  was busy and it could not use that socket. Therefore, I posed the
                  question whether anyone could spell out (in simple terms) how they
                  had successfully configured vsftpd. I received a good explanation
                  from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                  thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                  install because I have updated busybox.

                  So my question boils down to whether someone can walk a newbie
                  through a seemingly simple configuration of vsftpd.

                  Thanks,

                  Ryan

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Hoyt" <aaron.hoyt@v...>

                • Aaron Hoyt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Ryan,
                    your other set of packages are well beyond what I used. FTP was my first
                    and only concern so after reading the WIKI I did not update Busybox and did
                    not install any other packages first.
                    The biggest lesson that I learned (keep in mind I am real new to this) was
                    that I needed to do my editing of my scripts on the box itself using telnet
                    or ssh. I was creating the scripts on my XP machine using notepad and then
                    transferring them to the box. This proved to be useless and frustrating and
                    until I learned about vi, I was lost at getting things configured. Even
                    then, I had to do some quick google work to figure out how to operate vi.
                    Once I got to that point, I followed
                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Vsftpd basically to the letter.
                    I did follow links on that page to teach myself how to configure vsftpd to
                    my needs after it was installed.
                    I guess I can't offer much, but maybe something will lead you in a helpful
                    direction.
                    Aaron
                  • caplink811
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:

                      Hi,

                      > from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                      > thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                      > install because I have updated busybox.

                      1st, the package is avaiable as an ipk in the repo, 2nd, if you run in
                      trouble with the installation, you should try "ipkf -force-overwrite
                      ginstall packagename", so each already existing file is overwritten by
                      the installer.

                      bye
                      JrB