Re: [nslu2-general] vsftpd

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
      In message <42C9E6D2.6000607@...>, Gerald L. Clark
      <gerald_clark@...> writes
      >rndilger wrote:
      >> This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
      >> have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
      >> exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
      >> example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
      >> socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would just
      >> like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
      >> assistance would be appreciated.
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >>
      >> Ryan
      >Busybox provides netstat.

      Including the -l flag with the netstat call seems to display all
      listening ports.

      I have only loaded busybox-base so the following uses the direct program
      call /opt/bin/busybox netstat -l rather than just netstat -l

      Console screen output

      # /opt/bin/busybox netstat -l
      Active Internet connections (only servers)
      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
      tcp 0 0 *:netbios-ssn *:*
      LISTEN
      tcp 0 0 *:www *:*
      LISTEN
      tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:*
      LISTEN
      tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:*
      LISTEN
      tcp 0 0 *:telnet *:*
      LISTEN
      tcp 0 0 *:888 *:*
      LISTEN
      netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (tcp)' on this system.
      udp 0 0 NSLU2-1:netbios-ns *:*
      udp 0 0 *:netbios-ns *:*
      udp 0 0 NSLU2-1:netbios-dgm *:*
      udp 0 0 *:netbios-dgm *:*
      udp 0 0 *:915 *:*
      udp 0 0 *:917 *:*
      udp 0 0 *:918 *:*
      netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (udp)' on this system.
      netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (raw)' on this system.
      Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
      Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
      unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1216 /tmp/mysql.sock

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
        <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:

        > Busybox provides netstat.

        The busybox package can conflict with other packages if you are
        installing a lot of packages. I packaged net-tools for the slug to get
        round that problem. With the net-tools version of netstat then

        netstat -atp

        will tell you which program is listening on which TCP socket. It needs
        to run as root to get the program names.
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
          In message <daeqhp+rplk@...>, AdamB <slug@...>
          writes
          >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
          ><gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
          >

          >> Busybox provides netstat.
          >>

          >The busybox package can conflict with other packages if you are
          >installing a lot of packages. I packaged net-tools for the slug to get
          >round that problem. With the net-tools version of netstat then
          >
          >netstat -atp
          >
          >will tell you which program is listening on which TCP socket. It needs
          >to run as root to get the program names.

          I must have missed the introduction of this package, your command line
          above produces an informative output.

          Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
          program.

          Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
          (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).

          # netstat -N
          Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
          Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
          State
          tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
          ESTABLISHED
          tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
          ESTABLISHED
          Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
          Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
          unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 26 /var/tmp/log

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
            Ryan

            I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I gave
            up and got proftpd to work...here's an except from my note if you go
            the proftpd route
            ----
            After giving up on vsftpd, I installed proftpd and it wouldn't work
            either. I tried to run proftpd as a standalone and that didn't work
            either.

            I finally traced this to an /opt/etc/inetd.conf file that still had the
            vsftpd config information in it (after I used ipkg remove vsftpd).

            "ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd
            /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf"

            which is created by the diversion script I added as in the vsfptd howto.

            when I created a new blank inetd.conf, proftpd worked fine

            As I noted I'm a linux newbie, but my guess is that the old line in the
            inetd.conf was consuming port 21 with the ftp command. After I cleared
            the inetd.conf file, proftpd works fine.
            -----
            I just wonder if the advice in the howto to make the diversion script
            has some error in it. Suggest you try deleting the diversion script
            and the inet.d file mentoned above and see if vsftpd works. I'd be
            interested because proftpd seems somewhat slugish in response.

            Best of luck

            Bob (fellow linux newbie).

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:
            > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
            > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
            > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
            > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
            > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would
            just
            > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
            > assistance would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ryan
          • rndilger
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rst77469" <rst@n...> wrote:
              > Ryan
              >
              > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
              gave
              > up and got proftpd to work...

              Bob,

              I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
              getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
              howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
              diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
              this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
              would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
              exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
              scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

              This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
              thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
              these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
              like myself.

              Thanks,

              Ryan
            • Aaron Hoyt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                Ryan,
                You are right. I, another newbie have managed to configure vsftpd.
                I did it on an older release of Unslung 3.18.
                I am suspicious something in a later release broke things due to the
                attention and lack of resolution.
                Can you restate the questions you are having and so I can see if I have
                anything that might be of value to add?
                Thanks,
                Aaron

                > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
                gave
                > up and got proftpd to work...

                Bob,

                I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
                getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
                howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
                diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
                this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
                would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
                exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
                scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

                This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
                thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
                these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
                like myself.

                Thanks,

                Ryan

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • caplink811
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...>

                  > diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
                  > this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore,

                  Sure, that's simple ;-)

                  1. Uninstall vsftpd -> ipkg remove vsftpd
                  2. update the package list -> ipkg update
                  3. Install InetUtils -> ipkg install inetutils
                  - This install an other inetd which is placed in /opt/libexec.
                  - Create the file /opt/etc/inetd.conf, and fill it with

                  [root@linus root]$ cat /opt/etc/inetd.conf
                  telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd
                  ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd vsftpd
                  /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf

                  (The third line is the remain part of the second line, so put line 2+3
                  in one line)

                  - Run /opt/etc/init.d/S52inetd, this command kills the linksys inetd
                  and start the new inetd in /opt/libexec. All files in /opt/etc/init.d
                  which start with the letter S, are executed at each startup of the
                  nslu.
                  - Now it's a good time to try telnet with the new inetd, this should
                  work. If the telnet access works, then you can try to ftp in.
                  - If things went wrong, then you should check, whether the right inetd
                  is running

                  [root@linus conf]$ ps -ef
                  13626 root 1520 S /opt/libexec/inetd /opt/etc/inetd.conf

                  Should give you an output like above (1st and 3rd column can differs).

                  After this, there's no need for a diversion script
                  ([/unslung/|/share/hdd/conf/unslung/]rc.xinetd) which modifies the
                  /etc/inetd.conf, cause this file is no more in use.

                  bye
                  JrB

                  PS: feel free to join #nslu2-general at irc.freenode.net
                • AdamB
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                    <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:

                    > Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
                    > program.
                    >
                    > Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
                    > (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).
                    >
                    > # netstat -N
                    > Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
                    > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                    > State
                    > tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
                    > ESTABLISHED
                    > tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
                    > ESTABLISHED

                    I believe that is a "feature" not a bug, I've noticed such issues on
                    other Linux boxes and with the Solaris version (based on different
                    source). The program does its best to display the address and port
                    within a quite limited field width. Sometimes it makes a bad decision
                    as to how to acheive that.
                  • rndilger
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                      Aaron,

                      Sure, all I am trying to do is to get vsftpd running. I've already
                      updated busybox but cannot see that vsftpd is running using the ps
                      command. I originally followed the how-to and added a diversion
                      script. However, restarting xinetd gave me the error that the socket
                      was busy and it could not use that socket. Therefore, I posed the
                      question whether anyone could spell out (in simple terms) how they
                      had successfully configured vsftpd. I received a good explanation
                      from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                      thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                      install because I have updated busybox.

                      So my question boils down to whether someone can walk a newbie
                      through a seemingly simple configuration of vsftpd.

                      Thanks,

                      Ryan

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Hoyt" <aaron.hoyt@v...>

                    • Aaron Hoyt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                        Ryan,
                        your other set of packages are well beyond what I used. FTP was my first
                        and only concern so after reading the WIKI I did not update Busybox and did
                        not install any other packages first.
                        The biggest lesson that I learned (keep in mind I am real new to this) was
                        that I needed to do my editing of my scripts on the box itself using telnet
                        or ssh. I was creating the scripts on my XP machine using notepad and then
                        transferring them to the box. This proved to be useless and frustrating and
                        until I learned about vi, I was lost at getting things configured. Even
                        then, I had to do some quick google work to figure out how to operate vi.
                        Once I got to that point, I followed
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Vsftpd basically to the letter.
                        I did follow links on that page to teach myself how to configure vsftpd to
                        my needs after it was installed.
                        I guess I can't offer much, but maybe something will lead you in a helpful
                        direction.
                        Aaron
                      • caplink811
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:

                          Hi,

                          > from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                          > thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                          > install because I have updated busybox.

                          1st, the package is avaiable as an ipk in the repo, 2nd, if you run in
                          trouble with the installation, you should try "ipkf -force-overwrite
                          ginstall packagename", so each already existing file is overwritten by
                          the installer.

                          bye
                          JrB