vsftpd

  • rndilger
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 4, 2005
      This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
      have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
      exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
      example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
      socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would just
      like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
      assistance would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Ryan
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2005
        rndilger wrote:
        > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
        > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
        > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
        > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
        > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would just
        > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
        > assistance would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ryan
        Busybox provides netstat.

        --
        nslu-linux - glc
      • Gerald L. Clark
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2005
          rndilger wrote:
          > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
          > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
          > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
          > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
          > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would just
          > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
          > assistance would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ryan
          Busybox provides netstat.

          lsof also shows open ports and the programs using them.

          --
          nslu-linux - glc
        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
            In message <42C9E6D2.6000607@...>, Gerald L. Clark
            <gerald_clark@...> writes
            >rndilger wrote:
            >> This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
            >> have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
            >> exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
            >> example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
            >> socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would just
            >> like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
            >> assistance would be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >>
            >> Ryan
            >Busybox provides netstat.

            I just ran this command, part of the output is : -

            netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (tcp)' on this system.
            netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (udp)' on this system.
            netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (raw)' on this system.

            Does this mean that this command is bust in some way??

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
              In message <42C9E6D2.6000607@...>, Gerald L. Clark
              <gerald_clark@...> writes
              >rndilger wrote:
              >> This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
              >> have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
              >> exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
              >> example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
              >> socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would just
              >> like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
              >> assistance would be appreciated.
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> Ryan
              >Busybox provides netstat.

              Including the -l flag with the netstat call seems to display all
              listening ports.

              I have only loaded busybox-base so the following uses the direct program
              call /opt/bin/busybox netstat -l rather than just netstat -l

              Console screen output

              # /opt/bin/busybox netstat -l
              Active Internet connections (only servers)
              Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
              tcp 0 0 *:netbios-ssn *:*
              LISTEN
              tcp 0 0 *:www *:*
              LISTEN
              tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:*
              LISTEN
              tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:*
              LISTEN
              tcp 0 0 *:telnet *:*
              LISTEN
              tcp 0 0 *:888 *:*
              LISTEN
              netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (tcp)' on this system.
              udp 0 0 NSLU2-1:netbios-ns *:*
              udp 0 0 *:netbios-ns *:*
              udp 0 0 NSLU2-1:netbios-dgm *:*
              udp 0 0 *:netbios-dgm *:*
              udp 0 0 *:915 *:*
              udp 0 0 *:917 *:*
              udp 0 0 *:918 *:*
              netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (udp)' on this system.
              netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (raw)' on this system.
              Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
              Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
              unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1216 /tmp/mysql.sock

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
                <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:

                > Busybox provides netstat.

                The busybox package can conflict with other packages if you are
                installing a lot of packages. I packaged net-tools for the slug to get
                round that problem. With the net-tools version of netstat then

                netstat -atp

                will tell you which program is listening on which TCP socket. It needs
                to run as root to get the program names.
              • Robert Hammond
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
                  In message <daeqhp+rplk@...>, AdamB <slug@...>
                  writes
                  >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
                  ><gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Busybox provides netstat.
                  >>

                  >The busybox package can conflict with other packages if you are
                  >installing a lot of packages. I packaged net-tools for the slug to get
                  >round that problem. With the net-tools version of netstat then
                  >
                  >netstat -atp
                  >
                  >will tell you which program is listening on which TCP socket. It needs
                  >to run as root to get the program names.

                  I must have missed the introduction of this package, your command line
                  above produces an informative output.

                  Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
                  program.

                  Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
                  (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).

                  # netstat -N
                  Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
                  Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                  State
                  tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
                  ESTABLISHED
                  tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
                  ESTABLISHED
                  Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
                  Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
                  unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 26 /var/tmp/log

                  --
                  Robert Hammond
                  PGP:0x154144DA
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 5, 2005
                    Ryan

                    I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I gave
                    up and got proftpd to work...here's an except from my note if you go
                    the proftpd route
                    ----
                    After giving up on vsftpd, I installed proftpd and it wouldn't work
                    either. I tried to run proftpd as a standalone and that didn't work
                    either.

                    I finally traced this to an /opt/etc/inetd.conf file that still had the
                    vsftpd config information in it (after I used ipkg remove vsftpd).

                    "ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd
                    /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf"

                    which is created by the diversion script I added as in the vsfptd howto.

                    when I created a new blank inetd.conf, proftpd worked fine

                    As I noted I'm a linux newbie, but my guess is that the old line in the
                    inetd.conf was consuming port 21 with the ftp command. After I cleared
                    the inetd.conf file, proftpd works fine.
                    -----
                    I just wonder if the advice in the howto to make the diversion script
                    has some error in it. Suggest you try deleting the diversion script
                    and the inet.d file mentoned above and see if vsftpd works. I'd be
                    interested because proftpd seems somewhat slugish in response.

                    Best of luck

                    Bob (fellow linux newbie).

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:
                    > This is a follow up question about the problems newbies (like myself)
                    > have been having using vsftpd. I was wondering whether linux commands
                    > exist to determine what programs are using a particular port? For
                    > example, when I try to start vsftpd, I get the error that the server
                    > socket cannot be bound because port 21 is already in use. I would
                    just
                    > like to know a simple diagnostic protocol to fix these problems. Any
                    > assistance would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Ryan
                  • rndilger
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rst77469" <rst@n...> wrote:
                      > Ryan
                      >
                      > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
                      gave
                      > up and got proftpd to work...

                      Bob,

                      I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
                      getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
                      howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
                      diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
                      this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
                      would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
                      exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
                      scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

                      This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
                      thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
                      these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
                      like myself.

                      Thanks,

                      Ryan
                    • Aaron Hoyt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                        Ryan,
                        You are right. I, another newbie have managed to configure vsftpd.
                        I did it on an older release of Unslung 3.18.
                        I am suspicious something in a later release broke things due to the
                        attention and lack of resolution.
                        Can you restate the questions you are having and so I can see if I have
                        anything that might be of value to add?
                        Thanks,
                        Aaron

                        > I just posted a note a few days ago about experience w/ vsftpp...I
                        gave
                        > up and got proftpd to work...

                        Bob,

                        I appreciated your comments about proftp. However, I am intent on
                        getting vsftpd to work. I also believe there may be an error in the
                        howto or diversion script, but my newbie inexperience limits my
                        diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
                        this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore, it
                        would most helpful if documentation could be provided that spells out
                        exactly which files need to be present on the slug, correct diversion
                        scripts required, and any other "tricks" that are needed.

                        This forum has been most helpful in setting up my first slug and I am
                        thankful to all who have worked on this project. I am optimistic that
                        these vsftpd problems can be worked out in simple terms for newbies
                        like myself.

                        Thanks,

                        Ryan

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • caplink811
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...>

                          > diagnostic ability in linux. I have to assume that someone perusing
                          > this forum has successfully configured vsftpd on a slug. Therefore,

                          Sure, that's simple ;-)

                          1. Uninstall vsftpd -> ipkg remove vsftpd
                          2. update the package list -> ipkg update
                          3. Install InetUtils -> ipkg install inetutils
                          - This install an other inetd which is placed in /opt/libexec.
                          - Create the file /opt/etc/inetd.conf, and fill it with

                          [root@linus root]$ cat /opt/etc/inetd.conf
                          telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd
                          ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd vsftpd
                          /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf

                          (The third line is the remain part of the second line, so put line 2+3
                          in one line)

                          - Run /opt/etc/init.d/S52inetd, this command kills the linksys inetd
                          and start the new inetd in /opt/libexec. All files in /opt/etc/init.d
                          which start with the letter S, are executed at each startup of the
                          nslu.
                          - Now it's a good time to try telnet with the new inetd, this should
                          work. If the telnet access works, then you can try to ftp in.
                          - If things went wrong, then you should check, whether the right inetd
                          is running

                          [root@linus conf]$ ps -ef
                          13626 root 1520 S /opt/libexec/inetd /opt/etc/inetd.conf

                          Should give you an output like above (1st and 3rd column can differs).

                          After this, there's no need for a diversion script
                          ([/unslung/|/share/hdd/conf/unslung/]rc.xinetd) which modifies the
                          /etc/inetd.conf, cause this file is no more in use.

                          bye
                          JrB

                          PS: feel free to join #nslu2-general at irc.freenode.net
                        • AdamB
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
                            <rob.hammond@n...> wrote:

                            > Interestingly I can reproducibly generate a small display bug with this
                            > program.
                            >
                            > Using the command netstat -N gives the following output : -
                            > (gives the incorrect local address for the netbios-ssn connection).
                            >
                            > # netstat -N
                            > Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
                            > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                            > State
                            > tcp 0 52 192.168.1.77:ssh 192.168.1.50:3180
                            > ESTABLISHED
                            > tcp 0 0 192.168.1.7:netbios-ssn 192.168.1.50:1031
                            > ESTABLISHED

                            I believe that is a "feature" not a bug, I've noticed such issues on
                            other Linux boxes and with the Solaris version (based on different
                            source). The program does its best to display the address and port
                            within a quite limited field width. Sometimes it makes a bad decision
                            as to how to acheive that.
                          • rndilger
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 6, 2005
                              Aaron,

                              Sure, all I am trying to do is to get vsftpd running. I've already
                              updated busybox but cannot see that vsftpd is running using the ps
                              command. I originally followed the how-to and added a diversion
                              script. However, restarting xinetd gave me the error that the socket
                              was busy and it could not use that socket. Therefore, I posed the
                              question whether anyone could spell out (in simple terms) how they
                              had successfully configured vsftpd. I received a good explanation
                              from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                              thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                              install because I have updated busybox.

                              So my question boils down to whether someone can walk a newbie
                              through a seemingly simple configuration of vsftpd.

                              Thanks,

                              Ryan

                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Hoyt" <aaron.hoyt@v...>

                            • Aaron Hoyt
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                                Ryan,
                                your other set of packages are well beyond what I used. FTP was my first
                                and only concern so after reading the WIKI I did not update Busybox and did
                                not install any other packages first.
                                The biggest lesson that I learned (keep in mind I am real new to this) was
                                that I needed to do my editing of my scripts on the box itself using telnet
                                or ssh. I was creating the scripts on my XP machine using notepad and then
                                transferring them to the box. This proved to be useless and frustrating and
                                until I learned about vi, I was lost at getting things configured. Even
                                then, I had to do some quick google work to figure out how to operate vi.
                                Once I got to that point, I followed
                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/Vsftpd basically to the letter.
                                I did follow links on that page to teach myself how to configure vsftpd to
                                my needs after it was installed.
                                I guess I can't offer much, but maybe something will lead you in a helpful
                                direction.
                                Aaron
                              • caplink811
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 7, 2005
                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rndilger" <rdilger2@u...> wrote:

                                  Hi,

                                  > from JrB but it involved addind the inetutils package. First, I
                                  > thought this was being phased out and second, this package would not
                                  > install because I have updated busybox.

                                  1st, the package is avaiable as an ipk in the repo, 2nd, if you run in
                                  trouble with the installation, you should try "ipkf -force-overwrite
                                  ginstall packagename", so each already existing file is overwritten by
                                  the installer.

                                  bye
                                  JrB