ftp problems

  • rst77469
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 5:36 PM
      I have been trying to get either vsptfd or proftpd to work for the last
      week or so and finally got proftpd to work (hope this note might help
      another linux newbie)

      I installed vsftpd and could never get it to work - I kept receiving an
      error message that there was a bad line in a config file.

      After giving up on vsftpd, I installed proftpd and it wouldn't work
      either. I tried to run proftpd as a standalone and that didn't work
      either.

      I finally traced this to an /opt/etc/inetd.conf file that still had the
      vsftpd config information in it (after I used ipkg remove vsftpd).

      "ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/sbin/vsftpd
      /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf"

      which is created by the diversion script I added as in the vsfptd howto.

      when I created a new blank inetd.conf, proftpd worked fine

      As I noted I'm a linux newbie, but my guess is that the old line in the
      inetd.conf was consuming port 21 with the ftp command. After I cleared
      the inetd.conf file, proftpd works fine.

      Bob
    • spartacus
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
        Bob,
        Thank you for the very informative write up. I faced the exact same
        problem and your post was very helpful. In my case, I had inetd.conf
        file in following locations:
        # find . -name inetd.conf
        ./etc/inetd.conf
        ./opt/etc/inetd.conf
        ./initrd/etc/inetd.conf
        I had to make sure none of them had that vsftpd line. Once fixed,
        proftp started working just fine. Thanks again.
        Okan