Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Confused and frustrated

  • Ludo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hi Ladeeda168,

      When stating no permission or user and password the user credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

      If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
      Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have a password?

      Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
      When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access to shares.
      Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these users to the groups (easier to maintain).

      Good luck,

      Ludo

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        I'm still confused...and sorry for the stupid questions. Let me
        begin from the beginning:

        1) I had just bought the NSLU2 and just hooked it up. It appeared
        on my network (all computers) without me changing anything. disk 1
        would open WITHOUT any box asking for anything. It would just
        open. However, I could NOT log-in to the admin folder.

        2) So, I followed your advice and changed all the computer/NSLU2 to
        the same workgroup (the NSLU2 had been set to "workgroup" in lower
        case letters, so I changed it to WORKGROUP). That seemed to allow
        me now to log-in to admin, but it ALSO added the annoying task of
        having me to log-in to the public share. And one computer couldn't
        even log-in to disk 1 at all because it wouldn't ask for
        username/password, just a permissions denied box.

        What I want to do: ALL computers have access to Disk 1 WITHOUT
        asking for a username/password. ALL computers have access to admin
        with username password.

        I have 3 computers: One desktop, two wireless laptops. All
        on "WORKGROUP" One laptop has a username password, which doesn't
        match the admin password on the NSLU2. The other two have no
        passwords and one of them is the laptop that can't access disk 1 at
        all.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
        > Hi Ladeeda168,
        >
        > When stating no permission or user and password the user
        credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer
        and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

        > If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should
        exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
        > Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for
        example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have
        a password?

        > Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and
        create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
        > When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are
        automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access
        to shares.
        > Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these
        users to the groups (easier to maintain).

        > Good luck,
        >
        > Ludo

        Terms
        > of Service.

        of Service.

      • tonymy01
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          Are any of your computers on a domain rather than workgroup?
          I cannot log into any of my windows shares at home if I hibernate my laptop
          while logged on at work on a domain, then bring the laptop home (and
          unhibernate. Or even use a cached domain login). I have to actually
          logout of the laptop domain account, and login with a local login rather
          than domain login. Else I get an error message and cannot log into the
          workgroup shares.

          Cheers
          Tonymy01
          http://tonyspage.abock.de for Topfield Information

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            I don't think I'm on a domain because all my computers
            stay "internal" (i.e. no need to join any other networks, they
            pretty much stay at home).

            This is driving me nuts.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
            > Are any of your computers on a domain rather than workgroup?
            > I cannot log into any of my windows shares at home if I hibernate
            my laptop
            > while logged on at work on a domain, then bring the laptop home
            (and
            > unhibernate. Or even use a cached domain login). I have to
            actually
            > logout of the laptop domain account, and login with a local login
            rather
            > than domain login. Else I get an error message and cannot log
            into the
            > workgroup shares.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Tonymy01
            > http://tonyspage.abock.de for Topfield Information

          • Ludo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hi,

              1) I guess you closed your guest login later on the nlsu2. By doing that you state that you want all access by known users, no access by unknown. The admin folder, because of not being in the same workgroup, was not reachable because credentials did not match.

              2) Permission denied an be caused by having a user without a password on an XP machine. GIve this user a password on the xp machine and create an equal account on the nlsu2.

              ---> Give all your users a password. This has to do with Windows XP. For accessing shares by default Windows XP needs users to have passwords.
              For your laptop: same IP range? If in the same IP range, then it should work, given that the user and password match with nlsu2.

              For your laptop, if not in the same workgroup try to login with <nlsu2name>\username as user and <password> as password. Fill in the <..> yourself first:)

              I'm still confused...and sorry for the stupid questions. Let me
              begin from the beginning:

              1) I had just bought the NSLU2 and just hooked it up. It appeared
              on my network (all computers) without me changing anything. disk 1
              would open WITHOUT any box asking for anything. It would just
              open. However, I could NOT log-in to the admin folder.

              2) So, I followed your advice and changed all the computer/NSLU2 to
              the same workgroup (the NSLU2 had been set to "workgroup" in lower
              case letters, so I changed it to WORKGROUP). That seemed to allow
              me now to log-in to admin, but it ALSO added the annoying task of
              having me to log-in to the public share. And one computer couldn't
              even log-in to disk 1 at all because it wouldn't ask for
              username/password, just a permissions denied box.

              What I want to do: ALL computers have access to Disk 1 WITHOUT
              asking for a username/password. ALL computers have access to admin
              with username password.

              I have 3 computers: One desktop, two wireless laptops. All
              on "WORKGROUP" One laptop has a username password, which doesn't
              match the admin password on the NSLU2. The other two have no
              passwords and one of them is the laptop that can't access disk 1 at
              all.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
              > Hi Ladeeda168,
              >
              > When stating no permission or user and password the user
              credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer
              and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

              > If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should
              exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
              > Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for
              example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have
              a password?

              > Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and
              create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
              > When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are
              automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access
              to shares.
              > Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these
              users to the groups (easier to maintain).

              > Good luck,
              >
              > Ludo

              Terms