Re: Confused and frustrated

  • ladeeda168
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
      Thanks for that! Now I've got a new problem after I changed the
      NSLU2 to "WORKGROUP" (to match my computers)...now I can't access
      Disk 1 (the public share) on a laptop (says I don't have
      permissions), and on another computer, it now asks for a username
      and password?! I'm getting really frustrated with this...

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo Sak" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > Have you checked that both your computer(s) in your home network
      and your nslu2 are in the same IP range and if they share the same
      workgroup?
      > If not, Windows will try to login using only username and password
      which fails, then a retry occurs with machinename\username as name.
      > If you are in the same IP range (for example both machines have
      192.168.0.x, where x is a different number as IP address) and they
      are in the same workgroup it should work.
      > You can set your workgroup on your computer using My Computer
      properties, tab computer name (XP)
      > On the nlsu2, go to the maintenance page with your browser,
      Administration section, subsection System.

      > Btw another way to access your shares is to open an explorer and
      type
      > \\<nslu2 name or IP address>
      > and press enter.
      >
      > Hope it works for you,
      >
      > Ludo Sak

      and
      > when i tried accessing that shared folder, the username box pops
      up
      > and I get my machine name added to the front "DELLMACHINE/main"
      but I
      > never am able to log-in, the box just keeps popping back at me
      with
      > everything still filled in...no error.
      >
      > ARGH!
      >
      > How do I access the shared private folders within my network
      place??

      of Service.

    • Ludo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hi Ladeeda168,

        When stating no permission or user and password the user credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

        If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
        Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have a password?

        Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
        When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access to shares.
        Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these users to the groups (easier to maintain).

        Good luck,

        Ludo

        Thanks for that! Now I've got a new problem after I changed the
        NSLU2 to "WORKGROUP" (to match my computers)...now I can't access
        Disk 1 (the public share) on a laptop (says I don't have
        permissions), and on another computer, it now asks for a username
        and password?! I'm getting really frustrated with this...

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo Sak" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > Have you checked that both your computer(s) in your home network
        and your nslu2 are in the same IP range and if they share the same
        workgroup?
        > If not, Windows will try to login using only username and password
        which fails, then a retry occurs with machinename\username as name.
        > If you are in the same IP range (for example both machines have
        192.168.0.x, where x is a different number as IP address) and they
        are in the same workgroup it should work.
        > You can set your workgroup on your computer using My Computer
        properties, tab computer name (XP)
        > On the nlsu2, go to the maintenance page with your browser,
        Administration section, subsection System.

        > Btw another way to access your shares is to open an explorer and
        type
        > \\<nslu2 name or IP address>
        > and press enter.
        >
        > Hope it works for you,
        >
        > Ludo Sak

      • ladeeda168
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          I'm still confused...and sorry for the stupid questions. Let me
          begin from the beginning:

          1) I had just bought the NSLU2 and just hooked it up. It appeared
          on my network (all computers) without me changing anything. disk 1
          would open WITHOUT any box asking for anything. It would just
          open. However, I could NOT log-in to the admin folder.

          2) So, I followed your advice and changed all the computer/NSLU2 to
          the same workgroup (the NSLU2 had been set to "workgroup" in lower
          case letters, so I changed it to WORKGROUP). That seemed to allow
          me now to log-in to admin, but it ALSO added the annoying task of
          having me to log-in to the public share. And one computer couldn't
          even log-in to disk 1 at all because it wouldn't ask for
          username/password, just a permissions denied box.

          What I want to do: ALL computers have access to Disk 1 WITHOUT
          asking for a username/password. ALL computers have access to admin
          with username password.

          I have 3 computers: One desktop, two wireless laptops. All
          on "WORKGROUP" One laptop has a username password, which doesn't
          match the admin password on the NSLU2. The other two have no
          passwords and one of them is the laptop that can't access disk 1 at
          all.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
          > Hi Ladeeda168,
          >
          > When stating no permission or user and password the user
          credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer
          and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

          > If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should
          exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
          > Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for
          example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have
          a password?

          > Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and
          create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
          > When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are
          automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access
          to shares.
          > Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these
          users to the groups (easier to maintain).

          > Good luck,
          >
          > Ludo

          Terms
          > of Service.

          of Service.

        • tonymy01
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            Are any of your computers on a domain rather than workgroup?
            I cannot log into any of my windows shares at home if I hibernate my laptop
            while logged on at work on a domain, then bring the laptop home (and
            unhibernate. Or even use a cached domain login). I have to actually
            logout of the laptop domain account, and login with a local login rather
            than domain login. Else I get an error message and cannot log into the
            workgroup shares.

            Cheers
            Tonymy01
            http://tonyspage.abock.de for Topfield Information

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
              I don't think I'm on a domain because all my computers
              stay "internal" (i.e. no need to join any other networks, they
              pretty much stay at home).

              This is driving me nuts.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
              > Are any of your computers on a domain rather than workgroup?
              > I cannot log into any of my windows shares at home if I hibernate
              my laptop
              > while logged on at work on a domain, then bring the laptop home
              (and
              > unhibernate. Or even use a cached domain login). I have to
              actually
              > logout of the laptop domain account, and login with a local login
              rather
              > than domain login. Else I get an error message and cannot log
              into the
              > workgroup shares.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Tonymy01
              > http://tonyspage.abock.de for Topfield Information

            • Ludo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005

                1) I guess you closed your guest login later on the nlsu2. By doing that you state that you want all access by known users, no access by unknown. The admin folder, because of not being in the same workgroup, was not reachable because credentials did not match.

                2) Permission denied an be caused by having a user without a password on an XP machine. GIve this user a password on the xp machine and create an equal account on the nlsu2.

                ---> Give all your users a password. This has to do with Windows XP. For accessing shares by default Windows XP needs users to have passwords.
                For your laptop: same IP range? If in the same IP range, then it should work, given that the user and password match with nlsu2.

                For your laptop, if not in the same workgroup try to login with <nlsu2name>\username as user and <password> as password. Fill in the <..> yourself first:)

                I'm still confused...and sorry for the stupid questions. Let me
                begin from the beginning:

                1) I had just bought the NSLU2 and just hooked it up. It appeared
                on my network (all computers) without me changing anything. disk 1
                would open WITHOUT any box asking for anything. It would just
                open. However, I could NOT log-in to the admin folder.

                2) So, I followed your advice and changed all the computer/NSLU2 to
                the same workgroup (the NSLU2 had been set to "workgroup" in lower
                case letters, so I changed it to WORKGROUP). That seemed to allow
                me now to log-in to admin, but it ALSO added the annoying task of
                having me to log-in to the public share. And one computer couldn't
                even log-in to disk 1 at all because it wouldn't ask for
                username/password, just a permissions denied box.

                What I want to do: ALL computers have access to Disk 1 WITHOUT
                asking for a username/password. ALL computers have access to admin
                with username password.

                I have 3 computers: One desktop, two wireless laptops. All
                on "WORKGROUP" One laptop has a username password, which doesn't
                match the admin password on the NSLU2. The other two have no
                passwords and one of them is the laptop that can't access disk 1 at
                all.

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
                > Hi Ladeeda168,
                >
                > When stating no permission or user and password the user
                credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer
                and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

                > If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should
                exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
                > Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for
                example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have
                a password?

                > Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and
                create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
                > When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are
                automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access
                to shares.
                > Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these
                users to the groups (easier to maintain).

                > Good luck,
                >
                > Ludo

                Terms