Confused and frustrated

  • ladeeda168
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
      Got the NSLU2 working for the most part. I've done no modifications
      to it at all, and I'm having trouble understand something:

      The admin shared folder shows up in my WinXP "My Network Places"
      folder and it pops up a user name/password box, so I type in "admin"
      and my password. I can't log into it no matter what I try...

      I also tried adding a user matching my windows log-on ("Main") and
      when i tried accessing that shared folder, the username box pops up
      and I get my machine name added to the front "DELLMACHINE/main" but I
      never am able to log-in, the box just keeps popping back at me with
      everything still filled in...no error.

      ARGH!

      How do I access the shared private folders within my network place??
    • Ludo Sak
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
        Hi there,

        Have you checked that both your computer(s) in your home network and your nslu2 are in the same IP range and if they share the same workgroup?
        If not, Windows will try to login using only username and password which fails, then a retry occurs with machinename\username as name.
        If you are in the same IP range (for example both machines have 192.168.0.x, where x is a different number as IP address) and they are in the same workgroup it should work.
        You can set your workgroup on your computer using My Computer properties, tab computer name (XP)
        On the nlsu2, go to the maintenance page with your browser, Administration section, subsection System.

        Btw another way to access your shares is to open an explorer and type
        \\<nslu2 name or IP address>
        and press enter.

        Hope it works for you,

        Ludo Sak

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thanks for that! Now I've got a new problem after I changed the
          NSLU2 to "WORKGROUP" (to match my computers)...now I can't access
          Disk 1 (the public share) on a laptop (says I don't have
          permissions), and on another computer, it now asks for a username
          and password?! I'm getting really frustrated with this...

        • Ludo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hi Ladeeda168,

            When stating no permission or user and password the user credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

            If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
            Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have a password?

            Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
            When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access to shares.
            Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these users to the groups (easier to maintain).

            Good luck,

            Ludo

            Thanks for that! Now I've got a new problem after I changed the
            NSLU2 to "WORKGROUP" (to match my computers)...now I can't access
            Disk 1 (the public share) on a laptop (says I don't have
            permissions), and on another computer, it now asks for a username
            and password?! I'm getting really frustrated with this...

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo Sak" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > Have you checked that both your computer(s) in your home network
            and your nslu2 are in the same IP range and if they share the same
            workgroup?
            > If not, Windows will try to login using only username and password
            which fails, then a retry occurs with machinename\username as name.
            > If you are in the same IP range (for example both machines have
            192.168.0.x, where x is a different number as IP address) and they
            are in the same workgroup it should work.
            > You can set your workgroup on your computer using My Computer
            properties, tab computer name (XP)
            > On the nlsu2, go to the maintenance page with your browser,
            Administration section, subsection System.

            > Btw another way to access your shares is to open an explorer and
            type
            > \\<nslu2 name or IP address>
            > and press enter.
            >
            > Hope it works for you,
            >
            > Ludo Sak

          • ladeeda168
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
              I'm still confused...and sorry for the stupid questions. Let me
              begin from the beginning:

              1) I had just bought the NSLU2 and just hooked it up. It appeared
              on my network (all computers) without me changing anything. disk 1
              would open WITHOUT any box asking for anything. It would just
              open. However, I could NOT log-in to the admin folder.

              2) So, I followed your advice and changed all the computer/NSLU2 to
              the same workgroup (the NSLU2 had been set to "workgroup" in lower
              case letters, so I changed it to WORKGROUP). That seemed to allow
              me now to log-in to admin, but it ALSO added the annoying task of
              having me to log-in to the public share. And one computer couldn't
              even log-in to disk 1 at all because it wouldn't ask for
              username/password, just a permissions denied box.

              What I want to do: ALL computers have access to Disk 1 WITHOUT
              asking for a username/password. ALL computers have access to admin
              with username password.

              I have 3 computers: One desktop, two wireless laptops. All
              on "WORKGROUP" One laptop has a username password, which doesn't
              match the admin password on the NSLU2. The other two have no
              passwords and one of them is the laptop that can't access disk 1 at
              all.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
              > Hi Ladeeda168,
              >
              > When stating no permission or user and password the user
              credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer
              and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

              > If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should
              exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
              > Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for
              example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have
              a password?

              > Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and
              create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
              > When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are
              automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access
              to shares.
              > Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these
              users to the groups (easier to maintain).

              > Good luck,
              >
              > Ludo

              Terms
              > of Service.

              of Service.

            • tonymy01
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                Are any of your computers on a domain rather than workgroup?
                I cannot log into any of my windows shares at home if I hibernate my laptop
                while logged on at work on a domain, then bring the laptop home (and
                unhibernate. Or even use a cached domain login). I have to actually
                logout of the laptop domain account, and login with a local login rather
                than domain login. Else I get an error message and cannot log into the
                workgroup shares.

                Cheers
                Tonymy01
                http://tonyspage.abock.de for Topfield Information

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                  I don't think I'm on a domain because all my computers
                  stay "internal" (i.e. no need to join any other networks, they
                  pretty much stay at home).

                  This is driving me nuts.

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "tonymy01" <tony_h@b...> wrote:
                  > Are any of your computers on a domain rather than workgroup?
                  > I cannot log into any of my windows shares at home if I hibernate
                  my laptop
                  > while logged on at work on a domain, then bring the laptop home
                  (and
                  > unhibernate. Or even use a cached domain login). I have to
                  actually
                  > logout of the laptop domain account, and login with a local login
                  rather
                  > than domain login. Else I get an error message and cannot log
                  into the
                  > workgroup shares.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Tonymy01
                  > http://tonyspage.abock.de for Topfield Information

                • Ludo
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Hi,

                    1) I guess you closed your guest login later on the nlsu2. By doing that you state that you want all access by known users, no access by unknown. The admin folder, because of not being in the same workgroup, was not reachable because credentials did not match.

                    2) Permission denied an be caused by having a user without a password on an XP machine. GIve this user a password on the xp machine and create an equal account on the nlsu2.

                    ---> Give all your users a password. This has to do with Windows XP. For accessing shares by default Windows XP needs users to have passwords.
                    For your laptop: same IP range? If in the same IP range, then it should work, given that the user and password match with nlsu2.

                    For your laptop, if not in the same workgroup try to login with <nlsu2name>\username as user and <password> as password. Fill in the <..> yourself first:)

                    I'm still confused...and sorry for the stupid questions. Let me
                    begin from the beginning:

                    1) I had just bought the NSLU2 and just hooked it up. It appeared
                    on my network (all computers) without me changing anything. disk 1
                    would open WITHOUT any box asking for anything. It would just
                    open. However, I could NOT log-in to the admin folder.

                    2) So, I followed your advice and changed all the computer/NSLU2 to
                    the same workgroup (the NSLU2 had been set to "workgroup" in lower
                    case letters, so I changed it to WORKGROUP). That seemed to allow
                    me now to log-in to admin, but it ALSO added the annoying task of
                    having me to log-in to the public share. And one computer couldn't
                    even log-in to disk 1 at all because it wouldn't ask for
                    username/password, just a permissions denied box.

                    What I want to do: ALL computers have access to Disk 1 WITHOUT
                    asking for a username/password. ALL computers have access to admin
                    with username password.

                    I have 3 computers: One desktop, two wireless laptops. All
                    on "WORKGROUP" One laptop has a username password, which doesn't
                    match the admin password on the NSLU2. The other two have no
                    passwords and one of them is the laptop that can't access disk 1 at
                    all.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ludo" <nslu2@l...> wrote:
                    > Hi Ladeeda168,
                    >
                    > When stating no permission or user and password the user
                    credentials do not match. Or the user existing on both the computer
                    and nslu2 has no permissions on the share.

                    > If you are on the same workgroup your username and password should
                    exist identically on your computer/laptop and on your nslu2 unit.
                    > Maybe your computer only has user accounts with no password for
                    example, which could trigger the problem. Does your 'Main' user have
                    a password?

                    > Make sure all users have passwords on your computer/laptop and
                    create users with identical passwords on the nslu2.
                    > When residing in the same workgroup the user credentials are
                    automatically passed to the nslu2 and when authorized provide access
                    to shares.
                    > Assign groups to your share on the nslu2 security and assign these
                    users to the groups (easier to maintain).

                    > Good luck,
                    >
                    > Ludo

                    Terms