Re: memory footprint for unslung and openslung

  • Øyvind Repvik
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28 4:15 AM
      fransmeulenbroeks wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Øyvind Repvik <oyvind@r...> >
      >
      >>If you're not gonna run NFS, you save another 96k mem by killing off
      >>portmap.
      >

      > Would this matter? When booting from a disk, I would expect the swap
      > space to reside on that disk too, so if portmap is not used it will
      > live on the hd (which is big enough to pick up this additional 96k).
      >
      > If the swap is on the flash, please inform me. That could explain a
      > crash or two.

      Swap is never on the flash.
      That portmap is running isn't much of an issue. But why swap it out when
      it's not needed at all? :-)

      Øyvind.
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28 4:19 AM
        Rod Whitby wrote:
        > On 6/28/05, Øyvind Repvik <oyvind@...> wrote:
        >
        >>It might be possible to gain more memory by running an uClibc OpenSlug.
        >>I'll do a build today and see how much memory is available on that.
        >

        > Would a TwonkyVision executable (for which you do not have the source,
        > cause it is a commercial program) which has been built against glibc
        > 2.2.5 for Unslung work on OpenSlug (other glibc, or uclibc based) ?
        >
        > -- Rod

        It's a binary? Unlikely to run on OpenSlug at all then. If it runs, it
        is *very* likely that it will behave in strange ways. On uClibc OpenSlug
        it won't run at all.
        Feel free to try to run it on OpenSlug glibc though. You never know, it
        is technically possible that TwonkyVision is not using any library calls
        that have changed since 2.2.5

        Øyvind