Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Disk Status - Not Installed

  • Roy M. Silvernail
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
      tecoopco@... wrote:

      >I have also suffered this same problem. Formatted drive last night; copied about 20GB of files to the share space.
      >
      >Using it today, it said it didn't recognize my userid (for the share). HTTP'd into it and it reports no drive.
      >
      >When I plug the USB drive back into my system and take a look with partition magic 8, it tells me bad partition table.
      >
      >Somehow the NSLU2 has trashed the master boot record...
      >
      >All of this was accessing the NSLU2 on a windows network.

      Disk 1 or Disk 2? This could be as simple as a 1-character typo in the
      Linksys stuff ("/dev/sda" instead of "/dev/sda1")

      --
      Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
      "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
        All of my testing has been on disk 1.
        >I have also suffered this same problem. Formatted drive last night; copied about 20GB of files to the share space.
        >
        >Using it today, it said it didn't recognize my userid (for the share). HTTP'd into it and it reports no drive.
        >
        >When I plug the USB drive back into my system and take a look with partition magic 8, it tells me bad partition table.
        >
        >Somehow the NSLU2 has trashed the master boot record...
        >
        >All of this was accessing the NSLU2 on a windows network.

        Disk 1 or Disk 2? This could be as simple as a 1-character typo in the
        Linksys stuff ("/dev/sda" instead of "/dev/sda1")

        --
        Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
        "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
        SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
        http://www.rant-central.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • hdouglas64
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
          I have just examined one of the now unrecognised disks on the pc
          using Partition Magic 8, it reports 3 good partitions
          1. Linux Ext3 156GB
          2. Linux Ext3 117MB
          3. Linux Swap 54.9MB

          PM8 will allow me to browse the files on the disk and everything I
          wrote to it appears to be intact and accessible. Is there anything
          else I should be looking for to see what has made this drive un-
          recognisable by the NSLU2?

          > >I have also suffered this same problem. Formatted drive last
          night; copied about 20GB of files to the share space.

          > >Using it today, it said it didn't recognize my userid (for the
          share). HTTP'd into it and it reports no drive.

          > >When I plug the USB drive back into my system and take a look
          with partition magic 8, it tells me bad partition table.

          > >Somehow the NSLU2 has trashed the master boot record...
          > >
          > >All of this was accessing the NSLU2 on a windows network.
          > >

          > Disk 1 or Disk 2? This could be as simple as a 1-character typo
          in the
          > Linksys stuff ("/dev/sda" instead of "/dev/sda1")
          >
          > --
          > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@r..., and you're not
          > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
          > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
          > http://www.rant-central.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          of Service.

        • Roy M. Silvernail
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
            On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 18:43, hdouglas64 wrote:
            > I have just examined one of the now unrecognised disks on the pc
            > using Partition Magic 8, it reports 3 good partitions
            > 1. Linux Ext3 156GB
            > 2. Linux Ext3 117MB
            > 3. Linux Swap 54.9MB
            >
            > PM8 will allow me to browse the files on the disk and everything I
            > wrote to it appears to be intact and accessible. Is there anything
            > else I should be looking for to see what has made this drive un-
            > recognisable by the NSLU2?

            I'd hook it back up to your nslu2, ssh (or telnet) in and run 'fdisk -l
            /dev/sda' to see if the slug agrees with PM8 on the health of the
            partition table.
            --
            Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
            "Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 14, 2004
              I have enabled telnet on the NSLU2, but have no way of writing to
              the passwd file to enable a way in through telnet / SSH. All my
              other systems are XP, is there a way I can edit passwd to get in as
              root, or is there another way?

              > I'd hook it back up to your nslu2, ssh (or telnet) in and
              run 'fdisk -l
              > /dev/sda' to see if the slug agrees with PM8 on the health of the
              > partition table.
              > --
              > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@r..., and you're not
              > "Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga
              > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
              > http://www.rant-central.com
            • irfan29200
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 14, 2004
                I have the same problem. I have a serial port connected to the NSLU2
                and the terminal log shows some insight into what is happening. Here
                is what it shows. The whole log is too long. I have only included
                points of interest. The disk is ST380011 (80GB) and the USB2IDE chip
                is GL811 or something. It is interesting to note that the 80GB HDD's
                capacity is erroneously read by the NSLU2 as 156301488. It might be a
                damaged partition table. If I repartition the drive, it starts to work
                again with NSLU2. Also note that in the end, the HDD is declared as
                mounted. It does not show on Web interface.
                .
                .
                .
                ! scan_scsis
                Warning: loading ixp400 will taint the kernel: no license
                See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about
                tainted modules
                do read capacity!!!
                Module init.
                read capacity ok!!!
                The capacity is 156301488
                *** 49
                31 port connect!!!!!
                Vendor: ST380011 Model: A Rev: 0811
                the host no is 1
                * sd_attach:0
                Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
                .
                .
                .
                .
                usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
                usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
                usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
                usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
                scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus
                reset: host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
                SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 50000
                I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 4304
                I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 4312
                JBD: Failed to read block at offset 12
                JBD: recovery failed
                EXT3-fs: error loading journal.
                I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 4200
                .
                .
                .
                .
                NSAT: boot complete!
                Checking quotas. This may take some time.

                OK
                Done.
                Turning on quota.
                Checking disk status :
                USB HDD attached

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...> wrote:
                > I have a couple of NSLU2s 1 with 2x160GB drives and 1 with a single
                > 160GB drive. Both are exhibiting similar problems.
                > New drives installed and formatted, everything seems to work fine.
                >
                > Then after a period of time (couple of days), the drives become
                > inaccessible (can see folder information, but not navigate it or
                > read/write anything)
                >
                > Going to the web control panel shows the drives are "Not Installed".
                > This has happended on 2 NSLU2 which makes me think it is a firmware
                > problem. A telephone call to Linksys in the UK did not inspire
                > confidence, I was the first called to call about the NSLU2 and the
                > best they could offer was to send them back for a replacement (with
                > the same firmware!)
                >
                > Anyone else experienced this. Re format of drive solves situation
                > until it happens again, but that tends to allieviate the point of
                > the unit in the first place.
              • Roy M. Silvernail
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 14, 2004
                  On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 05:39, hdouglas64 wrote:
                  > I have enabled telnet on the NSLU2, but have no way of writing to
                  > the passwd file to enable a way in through telnet / SSH. All my
                  > other systems are XP, is there a way I can edit passwd to get in as
                  > root, or is there another way?

                  If you've installed the unslung image, the root password is uNSLUng.
                  Otherwise, I'm temporarily stumped.
                  --
                  Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                  "Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga
                  SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
                  http://www.rant-central.com
                • Benjamin Zeiss
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 14, 2004
                    i wonder whether this "disk status - not installed" is somehow related to
                    enclosures from genesys logic. i have one and i realized that they tend to
                    make problems with linux after i bought it. i also have this trouble. i
                    just built unslung 1.9 and upgraded. it worked fine until and used unsling
                    and rebooted. after that i got this not installed error with a log similar
                    to the one irfan29200 posted.

                    --
                    Benjamin Zeiss
                  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 15, 2004
                      > i wonder whether this "disk status - not installed" is somehow related to
                      > enclosures from genesys logic. i have one and i realized that they tend to
                      > make problems with linux after i bought it.

                      I'm using the Maxtor (linksys recommended) enclosure and have had lost disks
                      several times. I don't think it's an enclosure-specific issue.

                      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                      Carpe Diem - "Seize the Day"
                      Funstuff: * I love cats ... they taste just like chicken
                    • irfan29200
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 15, 2004
                        Has anyone tried to read the "Lost Disk" on a Linux PC. Is the data
                        still there or gone for good.
                      • Benjamin Zeiss
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 15, 2004
                          hi,

                          --On Wednesday, September 15, 2004 01:19:13 PM +0000 irfan29200
                          <irfan@...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone tried to read the "Lost Disk" on a Linux PC. Is the data
                          > still there or gone for good.

                          yes, the data ist still there and it can be fixed using fsck. the problem
                          seems to be that the nslu2 can't recover the journal for some strange
                          reason and therefore leaves the disk alone. i recovered the journal using
                          my linux laptop and the nslu2 went up fine afterwards.

                          --
                          Benjamin Zeiss
                        • pompeysteve2002
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...> wrote:
                            > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
                            > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is no
                            > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
                            > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
                            > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is with
                            > the NSLU2(s)

                            I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
                            same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
                            reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
                            partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot -
                            boom.

                            Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.

                            I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
                            success in eliminating this problem?

                            Regards

                            Steve
                          • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 2, 2004
                              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...> wrote:
                              > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
                              > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is no
                              > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
                              > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
                              > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is with
                              > > the NSLU2(s)
                              >
                              > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
                              > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
                              > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
                              > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot -
                              > boom.

                              This has happened twice with my Maxtor 160GB enclosure. Maybe the chipset is
                              adding to the problem, but it's not the source of the problem.

                              David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                              Carpe Diem - "Seize the Day"
                              Funstuff: * Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.
                            • hdouglas64
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                                Not solved the problem here yet, I bought 4 of these enclosures,
                                thankfully they were reasonably cheap. I am waiting to see which
                                enclosure to go for next, I will then buy 1 and try for a month to
                                check reliability before adding more drives.

                                I am not yet convinced that it is just the chipset causing the
                                problems, I suspect there may be other issues yet to be
                                discovered/solved.

                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pompeysteve2002"
                                <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

                                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
                                wrote:
                                > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
                                > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
                                no
                                > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
                                > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
                                > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
                                with
                                > > the NSLU2(s)
                                >
                                > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's
                                the
                                > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
                                > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
                                > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next
                                reboot -
                                > boom.
                                >
                                > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
                                >
                                > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
                                > success in eliminating this problem?
                                >
                                > Regards
                                >
                                > Steve
                              • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                                  Have to admit, haven't seen these problems at all on unSLUNG modified
                                  kernel.

                                  Would advise that you spend just a little time and gain telnet access
                                  (see http://egroup.com/group/nslu2-linux and the howtos on
                                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/). There are only a few commands needed to
                                  validate the data and re-export the mount point from the NSLU2.

                                  Worth your time, especially since the ordering of multiple USB
                                  hardware enclosures isn't solving your problem !

                                  Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
                                  PS - sorry to use this ungodly sneakemail address, but I have been
                                  getting spam from my registration to this eGroup. Time to take it to
                                  private or perhaps moderator approval for joining.
                                • panyk
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 3, 2004
                                    I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based on
                                    a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the nslu2,
                                    format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
                                    try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
                                    .avi) the nslu2 locks up. I restart it and it shows no disks present
                                    though the indicator light on the front for that drive is lit. If i
                                    attach the thing on my windows xp machine i can see 3 partitions, and
                                    using the ext2fsd driver i can mount it under windows and view the
                                    contents of the drive exactly as i copied them into place. If i
                                    delete all the partitions and reconnect it again detects the drive as
                                    present and not formatted and i start the cycle again. Have tried
                                    this with two different drives in the same enclosure an old 80gb ibm
                                    deskstar and a new 250gb western digital caviar both with the same
                                    result using both the disk1 and disk2 connection. Add to this that i
                                    have already had to replace the nslu2 once because of a bad firmware
                                    upgrade (also because of the same problem with the enclosure i think).
                                    I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based on
                                    the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
                                    enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

                                    <pompeysteve2002@y...> wrote:

                                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hdouglas64" <yahoo@h...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > > The enclosure(s) are all labelled Travelstar, they are aluminium
                                    > > 3.5" USB2 enclosures containing Hitatchi 160GB drives. There is
                                    no
                                    > > manufacturers details on the enclosure. I originally used these
                                    > > conntected directly to a pc as USB2 storage and they ran without
                                    > > fault for many months. I am therefore confident the problem is
                                    with
                                    > > the NSLU2(s)
                                    >
                                    > I wish I had read your message before buying my enclosure! It's the
                                    > same as yours and I am constantly getting "Not Installed" - every
                                    > reboot it seems. I can plug the drive into my laptop, delete the
                                    > partitions and the NSLU2 will format it again fine, but next reboot
                                    -
                                    > boom.
                                    >
                                    > Looks like dodgy USB->IDE interface we both have.
                                    >
                                    > I see your message was posted a few weeks ago - did you have any
                                    > success in eliminating this problem?
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    >
                                    > Steve
                                  • pompeysteve2002
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 6, 2004
                                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "panyk" <panyk@y...> wrote:
                                      > I am another with the exact same problem. Using an enclosure based
                                      on
                                      > a Genesys GL811E chipset and i connect it the nslu2, start the
                                      nslu2,
                                      > format the disk, and then copy some files into place. As soon as i
                                      > try to read a file back (for instance listen to an .mp3 or watch a
                                      > .avi) the nslu2 locks up.

                                      [..snip..]

                                      > I am about to order a bytecc me-740u2 enclosure (hopefully) based
                                      on
                                      > the cypress chipset. I have read on another list that both this
                                      > enclosure seems to have worked to resolve the issue for others.

                                      Hi,

                                      I received my new enclosure yesterday - a Metal Gear Box (Silver with
                                      Blue LED) from http://www.specialtech.co.uk which uses the Prolific
                                      chipset, and has been running like a dream so far! Unslung ok, copied
                                      a few gigs across and also run a media server to my DVD player on it!
                                      (http://www.sourceforget.net/projects/dp500serv)

                                      I was also thinking of getting a Bytecc enclosure (ME-350U2 I think,
                                      it has a rainbow light on the top) but plumped for the Metal Gear as
                                      I knew this used the PL chipset which seems to have the fewest
                                      problems so far.

                                      Steve