Failure to boot with unslung HD

  • nitech14321
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 14, 2005
      Hi,

      ok today I took the plunge and with a new hdd I decided to unsling my
      slug. The Hdd is a samsung 160gig in an icy box usb2/firewire caddy

      1/the drive and slug performed as per spec with linksys firmware
      2/the drive and slug performed as per spec with unslung 5.5 beta firmware
      3/the slug and a hotplugged unslung hdd performed as per spec (until
      reboot)
      4/ the slug would not boot with an unslung hdd attached it froze with
      the status light out and the disk1 and eth lights lit, the disk1 light
      solid.

      rebooting the slug on its own and hotplugging the hdd worked,
      formatting the hdd and rebooting worked.

      I tried a few things with the folks in #nslu2-general (thanks for the
      time and effort) but the situation remains the same.

      Oh and I tried an alternative USB2 drive interface, same results.

      anyone any ideas?
    • nitech14321
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 17, 2005
        ok bought a new usb 2 ext caddy no joy, changed hard drive no joy, I
        must be missing something simple, but once i unsling to the hard drive
        it will not boot :(

      • tps@mail.buoy.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 17, 2005
          > ok bought a new usb 2 ext caddy no joy, changed hard drive no joy, I
          > must be missing something simple, but once i unsling to the hard drive
          > it will not boot :(

          If my posts ever make it to the list, I had a similar problem. From what I
          can see, it was a password file issue. Are you sure that when you unsling,
          you are installing a fresh copy of all the files? I'm not sure what was
          there to begin with, before the unsling.

          Tim
        • zappanl
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
            Hello,

            I just upgraded to unslung 5.5 and seem to have the same problem. I
            have used the slug with unslung 3.17 for several months now witn no
            problems.

            1 slug boots okay when no harddrive attached. I can enable telnet
            and telnet into the box with l: admin p: uNSLUng

            2 when I connect the harddisk (maxtor onetouch), the drive mounts
            okay. I can connect to the drive with windows explorer and see my
            old shares

            3 I give the command /sbin/unsling disk 1 in the telnet window:

            Target disk is /share/hdd/data
            Copying the complete rootfs from / to share/hdd/data.
            19227 bloks
            Preserving existing ipkg database on target disk
            Linking /usr/bin/ipkg executable on target disk
            Creating /.sda1root to direct switchbox to boot from /share/hdd/data.

            This looks to me like the unsling command worked.

            4 I reboot the slug. Result:
            -ready light lights orange
            -ethernet light flashes
            -disk 1 and disk 2 flashes once very short
            -Ready light flashes green
            -Disk 1 light flashes green
            -Disk 1 light burns continuasly
            -Ethernet light flashes fast.
            -The slug refuses to do anything. pressing the power button does
            nothing. I have to disconnect the power te force a reboot. If I
            reboot without a disk the slug starts up okay.

            This is the last thing that happens. I'm not able to telnet into the
            slug and I'm not able to connect to the slug via the web interface
            and I don't see my shares in the windows explorer.

            My conclusion: for some reason the slug refuses to start up with a
            disk attached.

            I tried to manualy erase the /share/hdd/conf partition but no luck.
            I'm not experienced with linux and try to find my way reading the
            nslu2-linux site and the yahoo group but i'm afraid i have no clues
            left. If you happen to know the answer to this problem, you could
            make me extremely happy.

            Peter

            wrote:
            > ok bought a new usb 2 ext caddy no joy, changed hard drive no joy,
            > must be missing something simple, but once i unsling to the hard
            drive
            > it will not boot :(
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "nitech14321" <hobbes@n...>
            wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > ok today I took the plunge and with a new hdd I decided to
            unsling my
            > > slug. The Hdd is a samsung 160gig in an icy box usb2/firewire
            caddy

            > > 1/the drive and slug performed as per spec with linksys firmware
            > > 2/the drive and slug performed as per spec with unslung 5.5 beta
            > firmware
            > > 3/the slug and a hotplugged unslung hdd performed as per spec
            (until
            > > reboot)
            > > 4/ the slug would not boot with an unslung hdd attached it froze
            with
            > > the status light out and the disk1 and eth lights lit, the disk1
            light
            > > solid.
            > >
            > > rebooting the slug on its own and hotplugging the hdd worked,
            > > formatting the hdd and rebooting worked.
            > >
            > > I tried a few things with the folks in #nslu2-general (thanks
            for the
            > > time and effort) but the situation remains the same.
            > >
            > > Oh and I tried an alternative USB2 drive interface, same results.
            > >
            > > anyone any ideas?
          • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
              > I just upgraded to unslung 5.5 and seem to have the same
              > problem. I
              > have used the slug with unslung 3.17 for several months
              > now witn no
              > problems.
              >
              >[snip]
              > If you happen to know the answer to this problem,
              > you could
              > make me extremely happy.

              My tip:
              Before you ran 3.17, so you had apps on sda2 (the conf partition). On 5.5
              (and 4.x) the apps are on the data partition, sda1 (check what's under
              /opt). This leads to problems unless you move your old apps to the data
              partition - the diversions scripts still run, but the apps are not where
              they used to be (under /opt). I believe the command is "slingover" or
              something to move the apps from the conf partition to the data partition -
              read the readme as I think it is in there. Also make sure that no scripts
              refer to the conf partition as this is now (starting 4.x) a Linksys sandbox
              and not used by Unslung.

              best,

              -- Inge
            • nitech14321
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, tps@m... wrote:
                > > ok bought a new usb 2 ext caddy no joy, changed hard drive no
                joy, I
                > > must be missing something simple, but once i unsling to the hard
                drive
                > > it will not boot :(
                >
                > If my posts ever make it to the list, I had a similar problem. From
                what I
                > can see, it was a password file issue. Are you sure that when you
                unsling,
                > you are installing a fresh copy of all the files? I'm not sure what was
                > there to begin with, before the unsling.
                >
                > Tim

                pretty sure, i have even booted with no hd, added hd, formatted hd,
                unslung to hdd, tried to reboot :(
              • nitech14321
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
                  Yes, sounds like exactly the same problem as me except i went straight
                  from linksys firmware to 5.5

                • zappanl
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
                    Thanks for your help Inge.

                    For a moment I was in heaven but unfortunately i fell back to earth.

                    Here's what I did.

                    Before I read your reply I completely deleted the content of the
                    conf partition and everything from the data partition except for 3
                    shares I made previously on the data partition. I restored the
                    configuration file of the slug that I had backuped via the web
                    interface. Afterwards I saw files again in the conf partition.

                    I rebooted the slug with the harddrive attached and everything went
                    fine. The slug booted and I could reach my shares via internet
                    explorer. Life looked great and I felt in heaven. I read your reply
                    and thought deleting all traces from the 3.17 installation did the
                    trick.

                    I unslung my disk according through the readme: remove disk, reboot
                    slug, enable telnet, telnet into slug with uNSLUng password, attach
                    disk, run /sbin/unsling disk1.

                    everything went smoothly, there must be sitting an angel on my
                    shoulder!

                    But after a reboot the slug doesn't boot any more. I waited for 20
                    minutes for the proces to compleet but the ready light refuses to
                    light.

                    I can't connect via the web interface or via windows explorer so it
                    looks like the slug realy doesn't boot.

                    To make life complicated there is a second issue.
                    I had a problem using my shares and deleting information from the
                    harddisk. I had only read-only access. according to the FAQ nr. 34 i
                    put a diversion scrpt in the /unslung directory.
                    I called the file rc.quota with the following content:

                    #!/bin/sh
                    returen 0

                    I made the script without any disk attached so I assume it's in the
                    memory of the slug. When I connected the drive after a reboot i had
                    write access again.

                    I was afraid this script could have anything to do with the slug not
                    booting so I tried all kind of possibilities
                    - copying the rc.quota file with the unsling command to the
                    data/unslung partition on the harddrive
                    - removing the rc.quota file from the /data/unslung directory on the
                    harddrive
                    - removing the rc.quota file both from the harddrive and
                    the /unslung directory in the memory of the slug.

                    But all without success, the slug refuses to boot. It seems to me
                    the problem is not connected to the rc.quota file because i think i
                    tried every possibility. I do have a problem when I connect the
                    drive after a reboot without the rc.quota file. I have only read-
                    only access to the drive.

                    So there must be going something wrong during the unsling process.
                    To summarise:
                    - If I manually remove all content from the data partition accept
                    for my preveously made shares, the slug boots okay
                    - If I execute the unsling command the slug refuses to boot, even
                    when all traces of a former unslung 3.17 installation are deleted.

                    To be compleet I post the content of the conf and the data
                    partitions:

                    # ls -l conf
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 466 Jun 19 16:22 group
                    drwx------ 2 root root 1024 Jun 19 19:17 lost+found
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1091 Jun 19 16:22 passwd
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1896 Jun 19 20:12 server.log
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 1024 Jun 19 16:36 share
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 216 Jun 19 16:22 share.info
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 798 Jun 19 16:22 smb.conf
                    -rw------- 1 root root 1390 Jun 19 16:22 smbpasswd
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Jun 19 20:12 tmp
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 1024 Jun 19 16:22 upgrade
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 402 Jun 19 16:22 usrgrp.info
                    # ls -l data
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 bin
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 dev
                    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 etc
                    drwxrwxr-x 6 admin everyone 4096 Apr 25 11:02 ftp
                    drwxrwxr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 home
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 initrd
                    drwxrwxr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 lib
                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3685 Jan 1 1970 linuxrc
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 lost+found
                    drwxrwxr-x 5 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 mnt
                    drwxrwxr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 opt
                    drwxrwxr-x 7 admin everyone 4096 Jun 19 20:12 peter
                    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 proc
                    drwxrwxr-x 8 admin everyone 4096 Jun 19 19:31 public
                    -rw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 19 20:11 quota.user
                    drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 sbin
                    drwxrwxr-x 4 admin everyone 4096 Jun 19 19:44 share
                    drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 tmp
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 19 20:13 unslung
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 upload
                    drwxrwxr-x 8 root root 4096 Jun 19 19:44 usr
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 var
                    #

                    Please help me to find my way to heaven again,

                    Peter

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
                    <i.b.arnesen@f...> wrote:
                    > > I just upgraded to unslung 5.5 and seem to have the same
                    > > problem. I
                    > > have used the slug with unslung 3.17 for several months
                    > > now witn no
                    > > problems.
                    > >
                    > >[snip]
                    > > If you happen to know the answer to this problem,
                    > > you could
                    > > make me extremely happy.
                    >
                    > My tip:
                    > Before you ran 3.17, so you had apps on sda2 (the conf partition).
                    On 5.5
                    > (and 4.x) the apps are on the data partition, sda1 (check what's
                    under
                    > /opt). This leads to problems unless you move your old apps to the
                    data
                    > partition - the diversions scripts still run, but the apps are not
                    where
                    > they used to be (under /opt). I believe the command is "slingover"
                    or
                    > something to move the apps from the conf partition to the data
                    partition -
                    > read the readme as I think it is in there. Also make sure that no
                    scripts
                    > refer to the conf partition as this is now (starting 4.x) a
                    Linksys sandbox
                    > and not used by Unslung.
                    >
                    > best,
                    >
                    > -- Inge
                  • zappanl
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...> wrote:
                      > Thanks for your help Inge.
                      >
                      > For a moment I was in heaven but unfortunately i fell back to
                      earth.

                      > Here's what I did.
                      >
                      > Before I read your reply I completely deleted the content of the
                      > conf partition and everything from the data partition except for 3
                      > shares I made previously on the data partition. I restored the
                      > configuration file of the slug that ........

                      [snip]

                      > So there must be going something wrong during the unsling process.
                      > To summarise:
                      > - If I manually remove all content from the data partition accept
                      > for my preveously made shares, the slug boots okay
                      > - If I execute the unsling command the slug refuses to boot, even
                      > when all traces of a former unslung 3.17 installation are deleted.

                      I remembered I changed the passwd file in unslung 3.17 when I
                      installed vsftpd.

                      I included the location of the ftp directory of a certain ftp user
                      account. for instance I changed the line:

                      ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501:::/dev/null

                      into something like the following line:

                      ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501::/share/hdd/data/ftp/ftpuser:/bin/sh

                      After I removed all ftpusers via the webinterface the bootproblem
                      suddenly dissapeared. Yippeeee!

                      If anyone knows an explanation for this behaviour I would like to
                      hear it.

                      I wonder how I am going to install that ftp server again.

                      Okay that's it for today. The coming day's i'm going to install some
                      packages.

                      bye, peter
                    • Robert Hammond
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
                        In message <d94lgf+5toa@...>, zappanl <zappanl@...> writes
                        >--- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...> wrote:
                        >> Thanks for your help Inge.
                        >>
                        >> For a moment I was in heaven but unfortunately i fell back to
                        >earth.
                        >>
                        >> Here's what I did.
                        >>
                        >> Before I read your reply I completely deleted the content of the
                        >> conf partition and everything from the data partition except for 3
                        >> shares I made previously on the data partition. I restored the
                        >> configuration file of the slug that ........
                        >
                        >[snip]
                        >>
                        >> So there must be going something wrong during the unsling process.
                        >> To summarise:
                        >> - If I manually remove all content from the data partition accept
                        >> for my preveously made shares, the slug boots okay
                        >> - If I execute the unsling command the slug refuses to boot, even
                        >> when all traces of a former unslung 3.17 installation are deleted.
                        >
                        >I remembered I changed the passwd file in unslung 3.17 when I
                        >installed vsftpd.
                        >
                        >I included the location of the ftp directory of a certain ftp user
                        >account. for instance I changed the line:
                        >
                        >ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501:::/dev/null
                        >
                        >into something like the following line:
                        >
                        >ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501::/share/hdd/data/ftp/ftpuser:/bin/sh
                        >
                        >After I removed all ftpusers via the webinterface the bootproblem
                        >suddenly dissapeared. Yippeeee!
                        >
                        >If anyone knows an explanation for this behaviour I would like to
                        >hear it.
                        >
                        >I wonder how I am going to install that ftp server again.

                        You may want to try out the package proftpd. I suffers from the same
                        problem but can be configured to use a dedicated passwd file separate
                        from the system passwd file. See tip 3 in the proftpd section of the
                        Wiki.

                        --
                        Robert Hammond
                        PGP:0x154144DA
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 19, 2005
                          > > If my posts ever make it to the list, I had a similar problem. From
                          > what I
                          > > can see, it was a password file issue. Are you sure that when you
                          > unsling,
                          > > you are installing a fresh copy of all the files? I'm not sure what was
                          > > there to begin with, before the unsling.
                          > >
                          > > Tim
                          >
                          > pretty sure, i have even booted with no hd, added hd, formatted hd,
                          > unslung to hdd, tried to reboot :(

                          Unsling, reboot without the disk. Add the disk, and check out your passwd
                          files. Make sure that they all point to a real file somewhere. I was
                          assuming that I had made a mistake. Maybe not. That would be a first. I
                          usually fat-finger up things one or two times.

                          Tim
                        • zappanl
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 20, 2005
                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...> wrote:

                            > I remembered I changed the passwd file in unslung 3.17 when I
                            > installed vsftpd.
                            >
                            > I included the location of the ftp directory of a certain ftp user
                            > account. for instance I changed the line:
                            >
                            > ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501:::/dev/null
                            >
                            > into something like the following line:
                            >
                            > ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501::/share/hdd/data/ftp/ftpuser:/bin/sh
                            >
                            > After I removed all ftpusers via the webinterface the bootproblem
                            > suddenly dissapeared. Yippeeee!
                            >
                            > If anyone knows an explanation for this behaviour I would like to
                            > hear it.
                            >
                            > I wonder how I am going to install that ftp server again.
                            >
                            > Okay that's it for today. The coming day's i'm going to install
                            some
                            > packages.
                            >
                            > bye, peter

                            Okay, that conclusion was too soon yesterday. Today I tried to boot
                            my slug with the disk attached with no success

                            I'm perfectly able to boot the slug without disk attached and with a
                            disk that is not unslung. If I attach my disk after boot of the slug
                            I can telnet to it. I can even see my shares on the disk via
                            internet explorer.

                            There's one strange thing: All info ont the drive is read-only. I
                            have to put the rc.quota file in the /unslung directory on the slug,
                            reboot and then connect my harddrive to get write access. I have no
                            idea why this happenes like this.

                            I completely removed everything that looked like a passwd file
                            in /etc and in /share/hdd/conf. I rebooted the slug without drive
                            attached, telnet into the slug, connected the drive, changed my
                            password, copied the file from /etc/passwd to /share/hdd/conf/passwd

                            I have not a single clue left I have tried everthing I can think of,
                            spend 2 day's with the slug without succes. I nobody has a soluting
                            I guess I can only install the old 3.17 software again.

                            Peter
                          • wyendor
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 27, 2005
                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...>
                              wrote:

                              > > I remembered I changed the passwd file in unslung 3.17 when I
                              > > installed vsftpd.
                              > >
                              > > I included the location of the ftp directory of a certain ftp
                              user
                              > > account. for instance I changed the line:
                              > >
                              > > ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501:::/dev/null
                              > >
                              > > into something like the following line:

                              ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501::/share/hdd/data/ftp/ftpuser:/bin/sh

                              > > After I removed all ftpusers via the webinterface the
                              bootproblem
                              > > suddenly dissapeared. Yippeeee!
                              > >
                              > > If anyone knows an explanation for this behaviour I would like
                              > > hear it.
                              > >
                              > > I wonder how I am going to install that ftp server again.
                              > >
                              > > Okay that's it for today. The coming day's i'm going to install
                              > some
                              > > packages.
                              > >
                              > > bye, peter
                              >
                              > Okay, that conclusion was too soon yesterday. Today I tried to
                              boot
                              > my slug with the disk attached with no success
                              >
                              > I'm perfectly able to boot the slug without disk attached and with
                              > disk that is not unslung. If I attach my disk after boot of the
                              slug
                              > I can telnet to it. I can even see my shares on the disk via
                              > internet explorer.
                              >
                              > There's one strange thing: All info ont the drive is read-only. I
                              > have to put the rc.quota file in the /unslung directory on the
                              slug,
                              > reboot and then connect my harddrive to get write access. I have
                              no
                              > idea why this happenes like this.
                              >
                              > I completely removed everything that looked like a passwd file
                              > in /etc and in /share/hdd/conf. I rebooted the slug without drive
                              > attached, telnet into the slug, connected the drive, changed my
                              > password, copied the file from /etc/passwd
                              to /share/hdd/conf/passwd

                              > I have not a single clue left I have tried everthing I can think
                              of,
                              > spend 2 day's with the slug without succes. I nobody has a
                              soluting
                              > I guess I can only install the old 3.17 software again.
                              >
                              > Peter

                              You are not alone, I have similar problem. What drive do you have? I
                              have Seagate and thought may be it is 'spin-down' related.
                            • wyendor
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 28, 2005
                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...> wrote:
                                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I remembered I changed the passwd file in unslung 3.17 when I
                                > > > installed vsftpd.
                                > > >
                                > > > I included the location of the ftp directory of a certain ftp
                                > user
                                > > > account. for instance I changed the line:
                                > > >
                                > > > ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501:::/dev/null
                                > > >
                                > > > into something like the following line:
                                > > >

                                > ftpuser:scaWz51ke2xRk:2001:501::/share/hdd/data/ftp/ftpuser:/bin/sh
                                > > >
                                > > > After I removed all ftpusers via the webinterface the
                                > bootproblem
                                > > > suddenly dissapeared. Yippeeee!
                                > > >
                                > > > If anyone knows an explanation for this behaviour I would like
                                > > > hear it.
                                > > >
                                > > > I wonder how I am going to install that ftp server again.
                                > > >
                                > > > Okay that's it for today. The coming day's i'm going to
                                install
                                > > some
                                > > > packages.
                                > > >
                                > > > bye, peter
                                > >
                                > > Okay, that conclusion was too soon yesterday. Today I tried to
                                > boot
                                > > my slug with the disk attached with no success
                                > >
                                > > I'm perfectly able to boot the slug without disk attached and
                                with
                                > > disk that is not unslung. If I attach my disk after boot of the
                                > slug
                                > > I can telnet to it. I can even see my shares on the disk via
                                > > internet explorer.
                                > >
                                > > There's one strange thing: All info ont the drive is read-only.
                                > > have to put the rc.quota file in the /unslung directory on the
                                > slug,
                                > > reboot and then connect my harddrive to get write access. I have
                                > no
                                > > idea why this happenes like this.
                                > >
                                > > I completely removed everything that looked like a passwd file
                                > > in /etc and in /share/hdd/conf. I rebooted the slug without
                                drive
                                > > attached, telnet into the slug, connected the drive, changed my
                                > > password, copied the file from /etc/passwd
                                > to /share/hdd/conf/passwd
                                > >
                                > > I have not a single clue left I have tried everthing I can think
                                > of,
                                > > spend 2 day's with the slug without succes. I nobody has a
                                > soluting
                                > > I guess I can only install the old 3.17 software again.
                                > >
                                > > Peter
                                >
                                > You are not alone, I have similar problem. What drive do you have?
                                > have Seagate and thought may be it is 'spin-down' related.

                                I was wrong. In my case, seems it was 'bad flash' (I could boot w/o
                                disk, unsling, but can't boot with unslung HD. At some point I
                                decided to reflash using sercomm, unsling drive again and it works
                                now !
                              • zappanl
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 28, 2005
                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...> wrote:

                                  > > Peter
                                  >
                                  > You are not alone, I have similar problem. What drive do you have? I
                                  > have Seagate and thought may be it is 'spin-down' related.

                                  I have a maxtor onetouch 1, 250 Gb.

                                  In the meantime I installed Unslung version 3.17 again and are up and
                                  running again. I tried everything I can think of but couldn't get the
                                  slug to start up with version 5.2.

                                  I don't think it's 'spin-down' related because I tried several times
                                  to boot just after I switched on the drive and could hear the drive
                                  spinning. But you never know...

                                  I hope someone finds an answer but it looks like we're a minority.

                                  success with your slug, Peter
                                • wyendor
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 29, 2005
                                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...> wrote:
                                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > > Peter
                                    > >
                                    > > You are not alone, I have similar problem. What drive do you
                                    have? I
                                    > > have Seagate and thought may be it is 'spin-down' related.
                                    >
                                    > I have a maxtor onetouch 1, 250 Gb.
                                    >
                                    > In the meantime I installed Unslung version 3.17 again and are up
                                    and
                                    > running again. I tried everything I can think of but couldn't get
                                    the
                                    > slug to start up with version 5.2.
                                    >
                                    > I don't think it's 'spin-down' related because I tried several
                                    times
                                    > to boot just after I switched on the drive and could hear the
                                    drive
                                    > spinning. But you never know...
                                    >
                                    > I hope someone finds an answer but it looks like we're a minority.
                                    >
                                    > success with your slug, Peter
                                    Seems we have same symptoms but cause is different. In my case, I re-
                                    flushed again using SerComm, unsling one more time and it works now
                                    (at least 5 reboots :))
                                    WY
                                  • nitech14321
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 30, 2005
                                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...> wrote:
                                      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...> wrote:
                                      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...>

                                      > > > You are not alone, I have similar problem. What drive do you
                                      > have? I
                                      > > > have Seagate and thought may be it is 'spin-down' related.
                                      > >
                                      > > I have a maxtor onetouch 1, 250 Gb.
                                      > >
                                      > > In the meantime I installed Unslung version 3.17 again and are up
                                      > and
                                      > > running again. I tried everything I can think of but couldn't get
                                      > the
                                      > > slug to start up with version 5.2.
                                      > >
                                      > > I don't think it's 'spin-down' related because I tried several
                                      > times
                                      > > to boot just after I switched on the drive and could hear the
                                      > drive
                                      > > spinning. But you never know...
                                      > >
                                      > > I hope someone finds an answer but it looks like we're a minority.
                                      > >
                                      > > success with your slug, Peter
                                      > Seems we have same symptoms but cause is different. In my case, I re-
                                      > flushed again using SerComm, unsling one more time and it works now
                                      > (at least 5 reboots :))
                                      > WY

                                      that was the clue i needed :) I put it in upgrade mode agan, reflashed
                                      with windows client (freshly downl;oaded and extracted .bi)n and it
                                      all seems to have worked.

                                      Previous flash 's all said they work verified etc but this one did,
                                      and its only the 3rd flash so some slugs may be a little stubborn.
                                    • eagledream_first
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 1, 2005
                                        wrote:
                                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...> wrote:
                                        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zappanl" <zappanl@y...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wyendor" <yender@m...>

                                        > > have? I
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I have a maxtor onetouch 1, 250 Gb.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > In the meantime I installed Unslung version 3.17 again and are
                                        up
                                        > > and
                                        > > > running again. I tried everything I can think of but couldn't
                                        get
                                        > > the
                                        > > > slug to start up with version 5.2.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I don't think it's 'spin-down' related because I tried several
                                        > > times
                                        > > > to boot just after I switched on the drive and could hear the
                                        > > drive
                                        > > > spinning. But you never know...
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I hope someone finds an answer but it looks like we're a
                                        minority.

                                        > > > success with your slug, Peter
                                        > > Seems we have same symptoms but cause is different. In my case, I
                                        re-
                                        > > flushed again using SerComm, unsling one more time and it works
                                        now
                                        > > (at least 5 reboots :))
                                        > > WY
                                        >

                                        > that was the clue i needed :) I put it in upgrade mode agan,
                                        reflashed
                                        > with windows client (freshly downl;oaded and extracted .bi)n and it
                                        > all seems to have worked.
                                        >
                                        > Previous flash 's all said they work verified etc but this one did,
                                        > and its only the 3rd flash so some slugs may be a little stubborn.

                                        I had the same problem after installing Unslung 5.5 r29.
                                        My solution is to edit the /linuxrc file.

                                        =====================
                                        # Perform prepatory tasks, and determine whether the desired rootfs is
                                        viable.

                                        /bin/mount -t proc proc /proc

                                        if [ $prefroot = "sda1" -o $prefroot = "sda2" -o $prefroot = "sdb1" -o
                                        $prefroot = "sdb2" ] ; then
                                        /bin/echo "Sleeping while waiting for disk..."
                                        # cnt=10
                                        cnt=80
                                        while [ $cnt -gt 0 ] ; do
                                        echo -ne "\r$cnt "
                                        # sleep 1
                                        sleep 10
                                        [ $prefroot = "sda1" ] && [ -f /proc/hd_conn ] && cnt=0
                                        [ $prefroot = "sda2" ] && [ -f /proc/hd_conn ] && cnt=0
                                        [ $prefroot = "sdb1" ] && [ -f /proc/hd2_conn ] && cnt=0
                                        [ $prefroot = "sdb2" ] && [ -f /proc/hd2_conn ] && cnt=0
                                        cnt=`expr $cnt - 1`
                                        done

                                        After rebooting the slug everything is working perfect.
                                        The slug booted from HD.
                                        I think some finetuning of the cnt and sleep values is possible for
                                        the different brands of harddrives.
                                        While rebooting there is no significant delay in boottime noticable
                                        with these values.
                                        Succes!

                                        Arnoud
                                      • Gerald L. Clark
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 1, 2005
                                          eagledream_first wrote:

                                          > I had the same problem after installing Unslung 5.5 r29.
                                          > My solution is to edit the /linuxrc file.

                                          > =====================
                                          > # Perform prepatory tasks, and determine whether the desired rootfs is
                                          > viable.
                                          >
                                          > /bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
                                          >
                                          > if [ $prefroot = "sda1" -o $prefroot = "sda2" -o $prefroot = "sdb1" -o
                                          > $prefroot = "sdb2" ] ; then
                                          > /bin/echo "Sleeping while waiting for disk..."
                                          > # cnt=10
                                          > cnt=80
                                          > while [ $cnt -gt 0 ] ; do
                                          > echo -ne "\r$cnt "
                                          > # sleep 1
                                          > sleep 10
                                          > [ $prefroot = "sda1" ] && [ -f /proc/hd_conn ] && cnt=0
                                          > [ $prefroot = "sda2" ] && [ -f /proc/hd_conn ] && cnt=0
                                          > [ $prefroot = "sdb1" ] && [ -f /proc/hd2_conn ] && cnt=0
                                          > [ $prefroot = "sdb2" ] && [ -f /proc/hd2_conn ] && cnt=0
                                          > cnt=`expr $cnt - 1`
                                          > done
                                          There is no need to change both values.
                                          You are now checking every 10 seconds to see if the drive is ready for a
                                          maximum of 800 seconds. Your drive would have to be seriously broken to
                                          take that long to be recognized.

                                          cnt is the maximum number of tries before giving up.
                                          We wait 1 second before checking again.
                                          Any sleep bigger than 1 is wasted time.
                                          Simply increase cnt.
                                          My hard drive is ready in 1 to 2 seconds. My flash drive takes less than
                                          5 seconds. 80 seconds is a lot of time.
                                          Some flash drives may need more than a minute if they are not 2.0
                                          compliant, but a hard drive should not.
                                        • eagledream_first
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 2, 2005
                                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"

                                            Gerald L. Clark wrote:

                                            > There is no need to change both values.
                                            > You are now checking every 10 seconds to see if the drive is ready
                                            for a
                                            > maximum of 800 seconds. Your drive would have to be seriously
                                            broken to
                                            > take that long to be recognized.
                                            >
                                            > cnt is the maximum number of tries before giving up.
                                            > We wait 1 second before checking again.
                                            > Any sleep bigger than 1 is wasted time.
                                            > Simply increase cnt.
                                            > My hard drive is ready in 1 to 2 seconds. My flash drive takes less
                                            than
                                            > 5 seconds. 80 seconds is a lot of time.
                                            > Some flash drives may need more than a minute if they are not 2.0
                                            > compliant, but a hard drive should not.

                                            I don't agree with you Gerald.
                                            At the moment the file /proc/hd_conn exists the harddrive obviously is
                                            not present in all cases and cnt is forced to 0 at that moment.
                                            So the loop breaks and the slug doesn't boot from the harddrive.

                                            One and another is more or less depending of the hardware of the
                                            external usb hub/interface and harddrive combination.

                                            I tried different values upto cnt=300 and sleep=1 and the slug still
                                            didn't boot from the harddrive.

                                            I changed the values to cnt=3 and sleep=10 and now the slug is stabil
                                            booting from the harddrive.
                                            (cnt=3 and sleep=5 didn't do the job also.)
                                          • Gerald L. Clark
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 2, 2005
                                              eagledream_first wrote:
                                              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
                                              > <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >>eagledream_first wrote:
                                              >>

                                              >>>I had the same problem after installing Unslung 5.5 r29.
                                              >>>My solution is to edit the /linuxrc file.
                                              >>>
                                              >>>==================================================
                                              >>>=====================
                                              >>># Perform prepatory tasks, and determine whether the desired
                                              >
                                              > rootfs is
                                              >
                                              >>>viable.
                                              >>>
                                              >>>/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
                                              >>>
                                              >>>if [ $prefroot = "sda1" -o $prefroot = "sda2" -o $prefroot =
                                              >
                                              > "sdb1" -o
                                              >
                                              >>>$prefroot = "sdb2" ] ; then
                                              >>> /bin/echo "Sleeping while waiting for disk..."
                                              >>># cnt=10
                                              >>> cnt=80
                                              >>> while [ $cnt -gt 0 ] ; do
                                              >>> echo -ne "\r$cnt "
                                              >>># sleep 1
                                              >>> sleep 10
                                              >>> [ $prefroot = "sda1" ] && [ -f /proc/hd_conn ] && cnt=0
                                              >>> [ $prefroot = "sda2" ] && [ -f /proc/hd_conn ] && cnt=0
                                              >>> [ $prefroot = "sdb1" ] && [ -f /proc/hd2_conn ] && cnt=0
                                              >>> [ $prefroot = "sdb2" ] && [ -f /proc/hd2_conn ] && cnt=0
                                              >>> cnt=`expr $cnt - 1`
                                              >>> done
                                              >

                                              > Gerald L. Clark wrote:
                                              >

                                              >>There is no need to change both values.
                                              >>You are now checking every 10 seconds to see if the drive is ready
                                              >
                                              > for a
                                              >
                                              >>maximum of 800 seconds. Your drive would have to be seriously
                                              >
                                              > broken to
                                              >
                                              >>take that long to be recognized.
                                              >>
                                              >>cnt is the maximum number of tries before giving up.
                                              >>We wait 1 second before checking again.
                                              >>Any sleep bigger than 1 is wasted time.
                                              >>Simply increase cnt.
                                              >>My hard drive is ready in 1 to 2 seconds. My flash drive takes less
                                              >
                                              > than
                                              >
                                              >>5 seconds. 80 seconds is a lot of time.
                                              >>Some flash drives may need more than a minute if they are not 2.0
                                              >>compliant, but a hard drive should not.
                                              >

                                              > I don't agree with you Gerald.
                                              > At the moment the file /proc/hd_conn exists the harddrive obviously is
                                              > not present in all cases and cnt is forced to 0 at that moment.
                                              /proc/hd_conn does not exist until the drive is present.
                                              > So the loop breaks and the slug doesn't boot from the harddrive.
                                              >
                                              > One and another is more or less depending of the hardware of the
                                              > external usb hub/interface and harddrive combination.
                                              You are using an external hub?

                                              > I tried different values upto cnt=300 and sleep=1 and the slug still
                                              > didn't boot from the harddrive.
                                              >
                                              > I changed the values to cnt=3 and sleep=10 and now the slug is stabil
                                              > booting from the harddrive.
                                              > (cnt=3 and sleep=5 didn't do the job also.)

                                              If your drive is not ready after nslu2 registers it as connected, then
                                              the proper place to put a final 10 second delay would be after the 'done'.

                                              The current location of your sleep 10 allows a 0 to 10 second delay
                                              between registration and mount attempt.

                                              Leave cnt high, and the internal sleep set to 1.
                                              Put a sleep 10 immediately after the 'done' line.
                                            • eagledream_first
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 3, 2005
                                                <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:
                                                > eagledream_first wrote:
                                                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald L. Clark"
                                                > > <gerald_clark@m...> wrote:

                                                > > rootfs is

                                                > > "sdb1" -o

                                                > > Gerald L. Clark wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > >>There is no need to change both values.
                                                > >>You are now checking every 10 seconds to see if the drive is ready
                                                > >
                                                > > for a
                                                > >
                                                > >>maximum of 800 seconds. Your drive would have to be seriously
                                                > >
                                                > > broken to
                                                > >
                                                > >>take that long to be recognized.
                                                > >>
                                                > >>cnt is the maximum number of tries before giving up.
                                                > >>We wait 1 second before checking again.
                                                > >>Any sleep bigger than 1 is wasted time.
                                                > >>Simply increase cnt.
                                                > >>My hard drive is ready in 1 to 2 seconds. My flash drive takes
                                                less

                                                > > than
                                                > >
                                                > >>5 seconds. 80 seconds is a lot of time.
                                                > >>Some flash drives may need more than a minute if they are not 2.0
                                                > >>compliant, but a hard drive should not.
                                                > >

                                                > > I don't agree with you Gerald.
                                                > > At the moment the file /proc/hd_conn exists the harddrive
                                                obviously is
                                                > > not present in all cases and cnt is forced to 0 at that moment.
                                                > /proc/hd_conn does not exist until the drive is present.
                                                > > So the loop breaks and the slug doesn't boot from the harddrive.
                                                > >
                                                > > One and another is more or less depending of the hardware of the
                                                > > external usb hub/interface and harddrive combination.
                                                > You are using an external hub?
                                                >

                                                > > I tried different values upto cnt=300 and sleep=1 and the slug
                                                still
                                                > > didn't boot from the harddrive.
                                                > >
                                                > > I changed the values to cnt=3 and sleep=10 and now the slug is
                                                stabil
                                                > > booting from the harddrive.
                                                > > (cnt=3 and sleep=5 didn't do the job also.)
                                                > >
                                                > If your drive is not ready after nslu2 registers it as connected,
                                                then
                                                > the proper place to put a final 10 second delay would be after the
                                                'done'.

                                                > The current location of your sleep 10 allows a 0 to 10 second delay
                                                > between registration and mount attempt.

                                                Not quite, it's how you look at it.
                                                My solution waits 10 seconds and then checks for the registration and
                                                immediately after that mounts the drive.
                                                However the result is the same.

                                                > Leave cnt high, and the internal sleep set to 1.
                                                > Put a sleep 10 immediately after the 'done' line.

                                                I checked it and it does the same, it works.
                                                It registers, waits for ten seconds and then mounts the drive.

                                                Again the result of the code is the same.

                                                And yes I'm using a 3.5" aluminium harddisk case with a built in
                                                internal hub giving me two extra usb 2.0 ports. The slug recognizes it
                                                and gives no problems.
                                                There is also a on/off switchable 6 in 1 cardreader in the harddisk
                                                case.
                                                I'm using a 160Gb Maxtor harddisk in the case.
                                                This all works great!
                                              • Gerald L. Clark
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 3, 2005
                                                  eagledream_first wrote:
                                                  >>between registration and mount attempt.
                                                  >

                                                  > Not quite, it's how you look at it.
                                                  > My solution waits 10 seconds and then checks for the registration and
                                                  > immediately after that mounts the drive.
                                                  > However the result is the same.
                                                  No, the result is not the same.
                                                  Registration may occur immediately before the check.
                                                  You then have no wait before the mount.

                                                  >>Leave cnt high, and the internal sleep set to 1.
                                                  >>Put a sleep 10 immediately after the 'done' line.
                                                  >

                                                  > I checked it and it does the same, it works.
                                                  > It registers, waits for ten seconds and then mounts the drive.
                                                  >
                                                  > Again the result of the code is the same.
                                                  >
                                                  > And yes I'm using a 3.5" aluminium harddisk case with a built in
                                                  > internal hub giving me two extra usb 2.0 ports. The slug recognizes it
                                                  > and gives no problems.
                                                  > There is also a on/off switchable 6 in 1 cardreader in the harddisk
                                                  > case.
                                                  This is not supported. You may not have more than one active USB storage
                                                  device per NSLU2 port.
                                                  This is why you need the wait after the registration.

                                                  --
                                                  nslu-linux - glc
                                                • emm_is
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 13, 2005
                                                    Has this problem been resolved?

                                                    unslung firmware 5.5

                                                    NLSU recognises, formats and shares drive (2.5" in USB2 enclosure)
                                                    Install unslung onto drive
                                                    reboot
                                                    NSLU hangs with ethernet and disk 1 lights on.

                                                    (I have no problem getting a working system with my 1Gb USB2 flash
                                                    drive.)

                                                    I note eagledream_first (msg 1627) and Gerald L. Clark (msg 1634) have
                                                    discussed editing the linuxrc file to increase delay between finding
                                                    and mounting the drive, however despite trying variants of this I have
                                                    had no success.
                                                  • emm_is
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 13, 2005
                                                      > Has this problem been resolved?

                                                      I reformatted the drive to NTFS
                                                      Reflashed the NSLU2
                                                      Telnetted into the NSLU2
                                                      Reformatted the drive on the NSLU2 (web interface)
                                                      /sbin/unsling
                                                      unslung happyness

                                                      If any of the steps were missed out, swapped -> unslung unhappyness

                                                      Hope this helps.