ipkg update error

  • docd666
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
      when i run ipkg update i get the following error. I tried to put the
      slug in the dmz but get the same error. any idea?

      Error:

      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
      linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
      linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz
      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/oe/Packages.gz
      An error ocurred, return value: 3.
      Collected errors:
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
      passive-ftp
      -q -P /tmp/ipkg-nPzhtN http://ipkg.nslu2-
      linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages
      .gz'
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
      passive-ftp
      -q -P /tmp/ipkg-nPzhtN http://ipkg.nslu2-
      linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Package
      s.gz'
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
      passive-ftp
      -q -P /tmp/ipkg-nPzhtN http://ipkg.nslu2-
      linux.org/feeds/unslung/oe/Packages.gz
      '
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
        FAQ #21.

        On 6/9/05, docd666 <mbenita@...> wrote:
        > when i run ipkg update i get the following error. I tried to put the
        > slug in the dmz but get the same error. any idea?
      • Craig Johnson
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
          The wiki says to check your DNS settings and that is a good first step. But
          if you miss somethign simple on your network it is possible to think you
          have another problem. An easy way to make sure you aren't having these
          issues is to set up your network on the default slug settings along with
          your network. That way if there is a DNS setting you are overlooking it gets
          straightened out and you can trouble shoot it further down the line. (It is
          easy to over look something with these settings)

          Example: Router IP - 192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1>
          Subnet 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>
          Slug IP: 192.168.1.77 <http://192.168.1.77>
          Subnet 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>
          Default port 80

          Then rerun your ipkg update and see if you get same error. then start
          thinking about editing files. but then again thats just my opinion

        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
            Craig,

            Good point - can you add that to the FAQ entry as the first trouble
            shooting step for #21 ?

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 8, 2005
              Done - Edit if needed.

            • docd666
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 9, 2005
                Thank you for the help and pointing me in the right direction by I am
                still running into an issue. I narrowed it down to a DNS error: I
                cannot resolve the name to an address. I tried the wiki and it
                mentioned editing the /etc/dhcpd.conf . the problem is that I cannot
                find this file on my slug. Should I create it? Sorry if this is an
                obvious question but I am new at linux.
                Thanks
              • Hans Persson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 9, 2005
                  tor 2005-06-09 klockan 12.43 skrev docd666:

                  > Thank you for the help and pointing me in the right direction by I am
                  > still running into an issue. I narrowed it down to a DNS error: I
                  > cannot resolve the name to an address. I tried the wiki and it
                  > mentioned editing the /etc/dhcpd.conf . the problem is that I cannot
                  > find this file on my slug. Should I create it? Sorry if this is an
                  > obvious question but I am new at linux.

                  The problem I had was that I simply hadn't told my slug where to find a
                  DNS server. This should be entered in the web-if, on the same page as
                  one enters the IP address for the slug. I don't have access to my slug
                  here, so I can't tell you the exact click path.

                  The file /etc/dhcpd.conf is only interesting if you want your slug to
                  use a DHCP IP. If you want it to use a statically configured IP, then
                  you just fill that in on the same page as the DNS server.

                  Hans

                  | Hans Persson http://www.lysator.liu.se/~unicorn/ |
                  | unicorn@... http://runeberg.org/ |
                • Hans Persson
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 9, 2005
                    tor 2005-06-09 klockan 12.57 skrev Hans Persson:

                    > The file /etc/dhcpd.conf is only interesting if you want your slug to
                    > use a DHCP IP. If you want it to use a statically configured IP, then
                    > you just fill that in on the same page as the DNS server.

                    Also, the FAQ is talking about the /etc/dhcpd.conf file on your DHCP
                    server (assuming you have one), not an /etc/dhcpd.conf file on your
                    slug.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 9, 2005
                      Thank you Hans. I added my router as a DNS entry and it worked :)
                    • danobob55
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                        I get this when I try to perform an ipkg update:

                        passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-
                        linuxDownloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                        linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz
                        ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
                        passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-linuxAn error
                        ocurred, return value: 2

                        I recently changed my wireless router, but I re-checked my DNS
                        settings as described in the IpkgUpdateDoesntWork FAQ.

                        Any thing else I should be looking at?

                        Thanks,

                        Dan.
                      • Øyvind Repvik
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                          danobob55 wrote:
                          > I get this when I try to perform an ipkg update:
                          >
                          > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                          > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
                          > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-
                          > linuxDownloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                          > linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz
                          > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
                          > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-linuxAn error
                          > ocurred, return value: 2
                          >
                          > I recently changed my wireless router, but I re-checked my DNS
                          > settings as described in the IpkgUpdateDoesntWork FAQ.

                          try wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz,
                          and tell us what error you get. wget is failing somehow, but it is
                          silenced by ipkg, so no errormessage appears.

                          Regards,
                          Øyvind

                          > Any thing else I should be looking at?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Dan.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Daniel Scott
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005

                            > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                            > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
                            > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-
                            > linuxDownloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                            > linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz
                            > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --
                            > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-linuxAn error
                            > ocurred, return value: 2
                            >
                            > I recently changed my wireless router, but I re-checked my DNS
                            > settings as described in the IpkgUpdateDoesntWork FAQ.
                            >
                            > Any thing else I should be looking at?

                            You could try pinging something to test connectivity/DNS.

                            ping www.google.com

                            and see if you get a reply.

                            Thanks,

                            Dan
                          • danobob55
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 22, 2005
                              Here are the results of my wget command:

                              wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                              --19:26:02-- http://ipkg.nslu2-
                              linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                              => `Packages.gz'
                              Resolving ipkg.nslu2-linux.org... failed: Host not found.

                              I am unable to ping ipkg.nslu2-linux.org either.

                              Could my recent change of routers be the culprit? This worked with
                              my old router. If so, what setting have I got incorrect?

                              Thanks again,

                              Dan

                              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Øyvind Repvik <oyvind@r...>
                              wrote:
                              > danobob55 wrote:
                              > > I get this when I try to perform an ipkg update:
                              > >
                              > > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                              linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                              > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget -
                              -
                              > > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-
                              > > linuxDownloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                              > > linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz
                              > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget -
                              -
                              > > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-linuxAn
                              error
                              > > ocurred, return value: 2
                              > >
                              > > I recently changed my wireless router, but I re-checked my DNS
                              > > settings as described in the IpkgUpdateDoesntWork FAQ.
                              >
                              > try wget http://ipkg.nslu2-
                              linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz,
                              > and tell us what error you get. wget is failing somehow, but it is
                              > silenced by ipkg, so no errormessage appears.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Øyvind
                              >

                              > > Any thing else I should be looking at?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > Dan.
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • imran_k01
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 23, 2005
                                double check your DNS settings on the NSLU. Cheers.

                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "danobob55" <danrobert@r...>

                              • imran_k01
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 23, 2005
                                  I'm a dumbass and will read the whole thread next time:)
                                  wrote:
                                  > Here are the results of my wget command:
                                  >
                                  > wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                                  > --19:26:02-- http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                  > linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                                  > => `Packages.gz'
                                  > Resolving ipkg.nslu2-linux.org... failed: Host not found.
                                  >

                                  > I am unable to ping ipkg.nslu2-linux.org either.
                                  >
                                  > Could my recent change of routers be the culprit? This worked with
                                  > my old router. If so, what setting have I got incorrect?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks again,
                                  >
                                  > Dan
                                  >

                                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Øyvind Repvik <oyvind@r...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > danobob55 wrote:
                                  > > > I get this when I try to perform an ipkg update:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                  > linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/Packages.gz
                                  > > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1:
                                  `wget -
                                  > -
                                  > > > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                  > > > linuxDownloading http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                  > > > linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz
                                  > > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1:
                                  `wget -
                                  > -
                                  > > > passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-oMOMFI http://ipkg.nslu2-linuxAn
                                  > error
                                  > > > ocurred, return value: 2
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I recently changed my wireless router, but I re-checked my DNS
                                  > > > settings as described in the IpkgUpdateDoesntWork FAQ.
                                  > >
                                  > > try wget http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                  > linux.org/feeds/unslung/native/Packages.gz,
                                  > > and tell us what error you get. wget is failing somehow, but it
                                  is
                                  > > silenced by ipkg, so no errormessage appears.
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards,
                                  > > Øyvind
                                  > >

                                  > > > Any thing else I should be looking at?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Dan.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • danobob55
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 26, 2005
                                    Ok, well I suspected that my router was the cause of this since I
                                    recently replaced my wireless router that died with a cheapo Belkin
                                    from Best Buy. So, I dug out my old Linksys BEFSR41 to use as my
                                    router and relegated the belkin to access point duties.. and voila
                                    my wgets were working again.

                                    Not sure what the problem was...

                                    Dan.

                                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "imran_k01" <imran_k01@y...>

                                  • Gregg C Levine
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 26, 2005
                                      Hello from Gregg C Levine
                                      You already answered it. The people at Belkin aren't really aware of
                                      this and they probably don't even want to be told about it. However
                                      LinkSys is aware of the problems that you just described. My BEFSR41
                                      itself a warranty replacement has been causing peculiar problems. I
                                      don't know if it’s the ISP or the local loop between the ISP, and my
                                      end, that is the local Telco or what, but at first I thought it was
                                      the router.

                                      Belkin routers aren't known for their stability. It might even flake
                                      out after a few thousand hours or so, working as an access point, but
                                      as a router, it'll definitely crash after the first one or two weeks.

                                      Whereas the LinkSys wireless routers are so robust they even survive
                                      our efforts to try different firmware uploads on them.

                                      Now the question becomes, who made your now deceased former router?
                                      ---
                                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                                      ---
                                      "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

                                    • Daniel Robert
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 7, 2005
                                        My former router was made by Phoebe, purchased from a local reseller of surplus hardware.

                                        I should have known better than to purchase the Belkin, but the low price seduced me :) Guess I'll keep my eye out for a sale on linksys wireless routers since even my trusty ol' BEFSR41 is starting to act flaky and i have to pull the plug on it once in a while.

                                        Dan.

                                      • Mark Khoury
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 7, 2005
                                          Sorry for going off-topic, but the coincidence is too much to resist.
                                          I had my BEFSR41 going non-stop, error-free, for years. Suddenly a
                                          couple of months ago it started hanging every day or two.

                                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Robert <danrobert@r...>
                                          wrote:
                                          ....... snip .....
                                          > I should have known better than to purchase the Belkin, but the low
                                          price seduced me :) Guess I'll keep my eye out for a sale on linksys
                                          wireless routers since even my trusty ol' BEFSR41 is starting to act
                                          flaky and i have to pull the plug on it once in a while.

                                          > Dan.
                                        • Gregg C Levine
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 7, 2005
                                            Hello from Gregg C Levine
                                            Thank you for this bit of news. No your not. Sometime ago I had
                                            replied to the gentleman concerning his problems regarding the
                                            problems he was having with his router. And he finally decided to
                                            reply to tell me which one he had before picking that crappy Belkin
                                            job.

                                            Mine is now throwing fits as well, as it is what I've described
                                            before. This is nothing new. LinkSys, while not discounting my
                                            problems as just my problems, admits that this does happen, sometimes.
                                            I am waiting to see if they post a fix for it.
                                            ----
                                            Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                                            ---
                                            "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

                                          • Craig Gates
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
                                              I am running unslung 6.8 on a nslu2 and when I run
                                              'ipkg update' I get the error you will find below. I
                                              found where someone referred to this same problem and
                                              that they fixed the DNS address in their router, which
                                              solved the problem for them. However, that solution
                                              didn't seem to work for me. In a shell on my computer
                                              I type 'ipconfig getpacket en1' and find 2 DNS
                                              addresses which I then use in the Administration ->
                                              LAN -> DNS server section of the unslung GUI. The
                                              result is a longer time required, but still 'host name
                                              lookup failure'. Same thing for ping
                                              www.nslu2-linux.org. Nada.

                                              I know this must be a basic problem, but it escapes me
                                              right now.
                                              -Craig

                                              ERROR below:

                                              # ipkg update
                                              Downloading
                                              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz
                                              wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
                                              Downloading
                                              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
                                              wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
                                              Downloading
                                              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz
                                              xsystem: ERROR: Child process died due to signal 2:
                                              `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
                                              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz'
                                              An error ocurred, return value: 3.
                                              Collected errors:
                                              ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
                                              1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
                                              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
                                              ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
                                              1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'
                                            • Craig Gates
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                                                I received some advise that my network settings in
                                                /etc/resolv.conf are incorrect. When I check this file
                                                I see the following:
                                                _________
                                                nameserver xx.xx.xx.xxx
                                                nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
                                                _________
                                                (where the x's are my IP addresses). When I type the
                                                ipconfig command in the shell of my PC I see those
                                                same addresses in the line that says:
                                                _________
                                                domain_name_server (ip_mult): {xx.xx.xx.xxx,
                                                xx.xx.xx.xx}
                                                _________
                                                I figure these IP addresses must be the IP address of
                                                the DNS server (which are from my service provider).

                                                So /etc/resolv seems to be using the same IP addresses
                                                given by my ISP's DNS server, but I still get the
                                                'host name lookup failure' error I described below.

                                                Maybe the NSLU2 cannot use the DNS server from my ISP.
                                                Is there a work around?

                                                Thanks

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
                                                  I solved the problem. In the NSLU2 gui, under
                                                  administration -> LAN -> IP address, I had the fixed
                                                  IP address for the slug, the network mask, but no
                                                  value for the gateway address (router gateway). Once I
                                                  put the router's gateway address (192.168.1.1 in this
                                                  case) ping and ipkg update (and install) all worked.

                                                  In case someone searches this in the future, you also
                                                  need the DNS server address in the section below (DNS
                                                  servers) in the NSLU2 gui.

                                                • Sam
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 10, 2006
                                                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Craig Gates <cgates30@...>
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > I am running unslung 6.8 on a nslu2 and when I run
                                                    > 'ipkg update' I get the error you will find below. I
                                                    > found where someone referred to this same problem and
                                                    > that they fixed the DNS address in their router, which
                                                    > solved the problem for them. However, that solution
                                                    > didn't seem to work for me. In a shell on my computer
                                                    > I type 'ipconfig getpacket en1' and find 2 DNS
                                                    > addresses which I then use in the Administration ->
                                                    > LAN -> DNS server section of the unslung GUI. The
                                                    > result is a longer time required, but still 'host name
                                                    > lookup failure'. Same thing for ping
                                                    > www.nslu2-linux.org. Nada.
                                                    >
                                                    > I know this must be a basic problem, but it escapes me
                                                    > right now.
                                                    > -Craig
                                                    >
                                                    > ERROR below:
                                                    >
                                                    > # ipkg update
                                                    > Downloading
                                                    > http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                                    linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz
                                                    > wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
                                                    > Downloading
                                                    > http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                                    linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
                                                    > wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
                                                    > Downloading
                                                    > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-
                                                    beta/Packages.gz
                                                    > xsystem: ERROR: Child process died due to signal 2:
                                                    > `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
                                                    > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-
                                                    beta/Packages.gz'
                                                    > An error ocurred, return value: 3.
                                                    > Collected errors:
                                                    > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
                                                    > 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
                                                    > http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                                    linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
                                                    > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
                                                    > 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c http://ipkg.nslu2-
                                                    linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'

                                                    Have you got the default gateway, and DNS Servers set on the slug
                                                    web interface?

                                                    If not, try that and try again

                                                    Sam
                                                  • linksysslug
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 30, 2012
                                                      Each time I run the "ipkg update" command, it returns an error. Here's the relevant output:

                                                      …
                                                      Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
                                                      wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                                                      …
                                                      An error ocurred, return value: 1.
                                                      Collected errors:
                                                      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-d6oypW http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'
                                                    • rolandkbs
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012

                                                        Regards
                                                        Roland

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 14, 2012
                                                          I hope you don't find me rude for asking, but what, in fact, is the difference between the current Cross-Feed package:
                                                          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/
                                                          and the one I'm told to replace it with in message 8621:
                                                          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/unslung/cross/stable/Packages.gz
                                                          ?

                                                          I've just run a diff on the two pages, and the only difference is that the current Cross-Feed package has the "9base_4…" ipk. That's it.

                                                          I guess what I'm trying to understand is, how am I fixing a problem with the Native-Feed by replacing the current Cross-Feed with a link to an apparently identical Cross-Feed at a different location? Seems to me, at the moment, that simply commenting out the Native-Feed entry would suffice. Yes/No?