Linux Newbie : Applications not found after ipkg install

  • Dave Coutts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
      Hi All

      Ive installed a number of packages using ipkg (perl nano make mc) on
      an unslung 4.20, external disk.

      I have found that I can't run any of the packages except perl from
      the command line. I always get the following.

      # pwd
      /
      # nano
      nano: No such file or directory
      # make
      make: No such file or directory
      # gcc
      gcc: No such file or directory
      #

      I have confirmed that the applications are located in /opt/bin/

      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jun 5 20:42 perl -
      > /opt/bin/perl5.8.6
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1079202 May 30 18:09 perl5.8.6
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101696 Jun 2 19:34 nano
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Jun 6 22:31 gcc -
      > /opt/armeb/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc
      -rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 126524 Jun 2 19:21 make
      -rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 505912 Jun 2 19:22 mc

      What am I doing wrong?
      Is there something basic Ive missed?

      Ta

      Dave
    • AdamB
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Coutts" <mr_coutts@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Ive installed a number of packages using ipkg (perl nano make mc) on
        > an unslung 4.20, external disk.
        >

        > What am I doing wrong?
        > Is there something basic Ive missed?

        This is probably the question that has been discussed before about the
        default path changing in 4.20.

        Type "echo $PATH" and if the list doesn't include /opt/bin then type
        "PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH". If you want to make the change permanent then
        add that line to .profile in your home directory.
      • Adrian Day
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
          On 6/6/05, Dave Coutts <mr_coutts@...> wrote:

          > What am I doing wrong?
          > Is there something basic Ive missed?

          Looks as if your PATH doesn't contain /opt/bin

          type:

          echo $PATH

          and look for the pathname '/opt/bin'

          If it's not there, you'll need to append it. Don't forget the colon delimiter.

          You can set the PATH variable in a miriad of different places
          (/etc/profile, ~/.profile, etc.) - I'll leave it to you to find out
          the best place ;-)

          You should be able to set it temporarily by typing:

          PATH=$PATH:/opt/bin

          That'll save you having to type the full pathname of the program
          you're trying to run (eg. /opt/bin/nano)

          Hope this makes sense - if not, look on the interwebs for a unix primer.

          --
          AJ