Re: [nslu2-general] Looking to buy an Unslung Nslu2

  • Tommy B
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
      Gerald L. Clark wrote:

      >Christopher wrote:
      >

      >>Just curious if anyone out there is willing to sell me an already
      >>modded Nslu2 with the latest unslung firmware? Two things are
      >>preventing me from attempting to remove the RAMdisk on mine, and that's
      >>1) time, and 2) fear of creating a brick and losing what I have already.
      >>
      >>If anyone wants to sell me one, let me know!
      >>
      >>Thanks,
      >>Chris
      >>

      >There is no 'mod' to the Nslu2, other than the optional serial cable.
      >You do not need to add the serial port as long as you verify that you
      >can telnet into RedBoot.
      >I just finished talking a user through an upgrade after he thought he
      >had created a brick.
      >The most common problems are 10M hubs, trying to use http under Redboot
      >to upgrade, and not following the instructions.
      >Read the wiki.
      >Most unsuccessful 4.2 upgrades are the result of unslinging to a
      >readonly hard drive, or doing an ipkg update before verifying a
      >successful unsling.

      Actually I'm preparing to sell modified NSLU2 to developers or end-users
      interested in learning more about embedded Linux. I've working with a
      professional re-work / development company and I've received 1st
      articles back. This is an NSLU2 with a serial header, JTAG connection,
      and memory doubled to 64 MB. The serial and memory work great right
      now. I'm verifying the JTAG and then trying to get some cost reduced
      and speed enhanced connections for the serial and JTAG. Currently it
      costs and additional $19 for a serial level converter (although I think
      I may have found a $12.95 one). Likewise, there's a $19 JTAG cable
      which I"m using to verify the JTAG setup.

      The 64MB is running very well with a different bootloader (APEX). I
      haven't had the time (or large desire) to modify RedBoot for 64MB. I'm
      very interested in how much better Apache/MySQL/PHP/Python run with the
      extra memory. I've tried a Zope3 app names SchoolBell which ran very
      slowly on the 32MB NSLU2. I've talked about this in the nslu2-linux a
      bunch, but the -general group is probably mostly un-aware of this.

      [g2]