Re: [nslu2-general] Help wanted: A step-by-step Unslung 4.20 installation guide with exact commands and lots of screenshots

  • Craig Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 6, 2005
      I'd take the lead but I know there are people who know A LOT more than
      someone who thinks they just got things working correctly. =) I can
      certainly try and help out with this from a new user perspective though so
      count me in.

      Craig

      On 6/5/05, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Here is your chance to make an impact on the useability of the Unslung
      > firmware.
      >
      > We need someone to create a detailed "Unslung Installation For
      > Dummies" guide. It should contain every last little step required,
      > assuming absolutely no Linux knowledge. It should contain screen
      > shots of every step, with detailed descriptions of what the LEDs and
      > the strangled beep do along the way. It should contain lots of detail
      > about what is happening behind the scenes, but not require someone to
      > understand that detail. It should initially be written in English,
      > but we welcome offers of help from international community members who
      > are willing to translate to other languages.
      >
      > Here is the community's chance to show that it can do something other
      > than just complain about the lack of documentation .... ask yourself
      > why *you* cannot do this for the community that provides the firmware
      > that you use for free.
      >
      > We need someone to step up and lead the effort, and then a team of 5
      > to 10 helpers to generate and edit the content, and test it out by
      > getting your non-computer-literate friends or family to install
      > Unslung firmware with no previous computer knowledge.
      >
      > If you are the team leader, then please post your job acceptance to
      > the nslu2-linux mailing list, containing a couple of paragraphs on how
      > you plan to execute this assignment. We will then get your team
      > members to contact you directly. We expect you to provide a published
      > document within a month.
      >
      > -- Rod
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Eugene (Gene) Teggatz
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 6, 2005
        Amen to Rod's suggestion/request. I was about to buy an NSLU2 until I've
        read all of the stuff posted in this group. I decided it "ain't worth it".
        Why ask for more frustrations? It may be a good product and the firmware
        enhancements may be great, but since I'm not a Linux (or Unix) user, it's
        all Greek to me!

        I just want a simple backup widget hanging on the network for my wife and me
        to use.

        Gene
        DW6000, DW117, wifi'd
        http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2178
        Location is: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?WA0IQM

        installation guide with exact commands and lots of screenshots

        > Here is your chance to make an impact on the useability of the Unslung
        > firmware.
        >
        > We need someone to create a detailed "Unslung Installation For
        > Dummies" guide. It should contain every last little step required,
        > assuming absolutely no Linux knowledge.
      • Rich Garcia
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2005
          Gene it really is simple as cake and the readme.txt that comes with the
          firmware is quite good, I would say
          darn near "Heathkit" quality. Even without Unslung I find that this "widget"
          is just fine, I just like to
          hack away at everything so I did.

          Interesting link that datastormusers has...they "APRS" all of their own
          users....

          Rich
          K4GPS

          installation guide with exact commands and lots of screenshots

          > Here is your chance to make an impact on the useability of the Unslung
          > firmware.
          >
          > We need someone to create a detailed "Unslung Installation For
          > Dummies" guide. It should contain every last little step required,
          > assuming absolutely no Linux knowledge.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Adrian Day
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 6, 2005
            On 6/6/05, Eugene (Gene) Teggatz <edteggatz@...> wrote:

            > Amen to Rod's suggestion/request. I was about to buy an NSLU2 until I've
            > read all of the stuff posted in this group. I decided it "ain't worth it".
            > Why ask for more frustrations? It may be a good product and the firmware
            > enhancements may be great, but since I'm not a Linux (or Unix) user, it's
            > all Greek to me!
            >
            > I just want a simple backup widget hanging on the network for my wife and
            > me
            > to use.

            If all you need is a 'simple backup widget', then stick to the default
            Linksys firmware. It'll work just fine.
            If you require more functionality, consider running uNLSUng. However, only
            undertake this step if you can read. This forum (and the developers' forum)
            are living testament to the fact that a seemingly large number of people are
            incapable of reading and, perhaps more importantly, comprehending a very
            concise set of step-by-step instructions.
            Any attempt to dumb-down the installation instructions will only result in
            more heartache for those who decide that installation is just a case of
            looking at a set of pretty pictures without giving any heed to the words
            that accompany them.
            Apologies to those who consider this a rant. I'm becoming increasingly
            frustrated at those who are incapable of RTFM.
            --
            AJ

          • Ronald Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 6, 2005
              Perhaps you cannot see the forest for the trees. I have 4 NSLU2's running stock. no hacking, no messing with them. They each have 2 hard drives connected to them serving an Audiotron and 3 modified XBoxes and have so far had zero problems. They run 24/7 and never go down. I certainly do have them all on battery back up.

              The main thing is, they perform exactly as the manufacturer described for me which is exactly what I wanted. I just read this list as one day soon I will buy a 5th unit and hack it just for fun.

              installation guide with exact commands and lots of screenshots

              > Here is your chance to make an impact on the useability of the Unslung
              > firmware.
              >
              > We need someone to create a detailed "Unslung Installation For
              > Dummies" guide. It should contain every last little step required,
              > assuming absolutely no Linux knowledge.

            • Hans Persson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 8, 2005
                mån 2005-06-06 klockan 11.07 skrev Craig Johnson:

                > I'd take the lead but I know there are people who know A LOT more than
                > someone who thinks they just got things working correctly. =) I can
                > certainly try and help out with this from a new user perspective though so
                > count me in.

                I'd say that someone who isn't the number one expert is the right
                person to *head* the document. An expert can easily miss explaining
                stuff that seems obvious to them. Now, don't get me wrong. Experts
                would be needed to write in-depth explanations, but I think the
                general structure of the thing, screenshots, etc can be written by
                anyone with a bit of perseverance and the experience of having
                installed an NSLU2. The main thing about getting this type of thing
                done is actually that someone decides that it's *going* to be done and
                then doesn't give up until it*is* done.

                That may mean writing most of it himself, or managing a team of others
                to write different parts of it. Some people are good at being
                structured and easy to understand. Others have deep technical
                knowledge about what goes on inside the box. Yet others are able to
                write fluently in grammatically correct English. Not many people match
                all three of these descriptions. What is needed for getting good
                documentation done is someone who can get all these people together
                and make sure that all these people *together* write something useful.

                Hans (somewhat structured, not very technical, pretty grammatical)
              • Craig Johnson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 8, 2005
                  Hans,

                  If you are up for the task of grammatical that would be helpful. =)

                  On 6/8/05, Hans Persson <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > mån 2005-06-06 klockan 11.07 skrev Craig Johnson:
                  >
                  > > I'd take the lead but I know there are people who know A LOT more than
                  > > someone who thinks they just got things working correctly. =) I can
                  > > certainly try and help out with this from a new user perspective though
                  > so
                  > > count me in.
                  >
                  > I'd say that someone who isn't the number one expert is the right
                  > person to *head* the document. An expert can easily miss explaining
                  > stuff that seems obvious to them. Now, don't get me wrong. Experts
                  > would be needed to write in-depth explanations, but I think the
                  > general structure of the thing, screenshots, etc can be written by
                  > anyone with a bit of perseverance and the experience of having
                  > installed an NSLU2. The main thing about getting this type of thing
                  > done is actually that someone decides that it's *going* to be done and
                  > then doesn't give up until it*is* done.
                  >
                  > That may mean writing most of it himself, or managing a team of others
                  > to write different parts of it. Some people are good at being
                  > structured and easy to understand. Others have deep technical
                  > knowledge about what goes on inside the box. Yet others are able to
                  > write fluently in grammatically correct English. Not many people match
                  > all three of these descriptions. What is needed for getting good
                  > documentation done is someone who can get all these people together
                  > and make sure that all these people *together* write something useful.
                  >
                  > Hans (somewhat structured, not very technical, pretty grammatical)
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Hans Persson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 8, 2005
                    ons 2005-06-08 klockan 18.42 skrev Craig Johnson:

                    > If you are up for the task of grammatical that would be helpful. =)

                    If you write it (or get others to), I'll proof it. No problem. ;-)

                    Hans
                  • Bob
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 9, 2005
                      I would certainly be interested in such a "cookbook" for the NSLU2
                      as I would like to add Twonkyvision for serving my mp3 files, etc.
                      to my Philips SL400i. I am not a Linux person, only know how to
                      handle Windows stuff.

                      So, go to it, so I can get started with this project!
                      I've looked at this but don't even understand some of the terms that
                      are used?
                      http://www.nslu2-
                      linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer

                      Bob

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hans Persson <yahoo@u...>
                      wrote:
                      > ons 2005-06-08 klockan 18.42 skrev Craig Johnson:
                      >
                      > > If you are up for the task of grammatical that would be helpful.
                      =)

                      > If you write it (or get others to), I'll proof it. No problem. ;-)
                      >
                      > Hans
                    • Kai Steinbach
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                        Hello Bob

                        On 09/06/05, Bob wrote:
                        > I've looked at this but don't even understand some of the terms that
                        > are used?
                        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/
                        > UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer

                        I'm sure people here can help, including me. Let us know what exactly
                        "looks chinese" to you, and we'll help you out.

                        Kai
                      • Bob
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kai Steinbach
                          <kai.steinbach@g...> wrote:
                          > Hello Bob
                          >
                          > On 09/06/05, Bob wrote:
                          > > I've looked at this but don't even understand some of the terms
                          that
                          > > are used?
                          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/
                          > > UseTheTwonkyVisionUPnPMediaServer
                          >
                          > I'm sure people here can help, including me. Let us know what
                          exactly
                          > "looks chinese" to you, and we'll help you out.
                          >
                          > Kai

                          Thanks Kai!
                          I will certainly need some hand holding to get thru this to the
                          point
                          of having the NSLU up and running my media to my Streamium.
                          For a point of reference, I am refering to this document on how to
                          install TwonkyVision into the NSLU. It appears to be a little out
                          of date but should be basically the same except to use a newer
                          version of UnSlung?
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheTwonky
                          VisionUPnPMediaServer

                          Basic Questions:
                          1. If I purchase the Linksys NSLU2 and a Maxtor 250 GB onetouch USB
                          external drive....will that be a good start?
                          2. OK, then next I wire the NSLU2 to my Linksys router(WRT54GS) and
                          now I will be able to connect to it from my WINXP PC. I read
                          somewhere that I should not connect the drive yet?
                          Now in instructions it says(page to the bottom, Jan 22, 2005 Update:

                          It is much easier now to get TwonkyVision running. Here are some
                          simple steps to get you going, the information on performing the
                          steps is easy to find.

                          1. Purchase TwonkyVision media server.
                          Ok, I have done that.

                          2. Install Unslung firmware
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware
                          So, do I access the NSLU via a web browser and install the Unslung
                          firmware according to the directions for the NSLU? This would be
                          like updating the firmware for my Linksys router?

                          http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php
                          Which one to download here?
                          Then unzip and the file will be ready for firmware upgrade?

                          3. Create /unslung directory (if doesn't exist) (Optional -
                          create /share/hddvfat directory for FAT32 hard drive use) on the
                          NSLU

                          What is this directory for? The firmware is being updated into the
                          flash memory, right?
                          How do I create these directories? Do I connect with my IE6 and
                          somehow edit the NSLU directory?
                          Do I need to format the drive in any way? If so, how and with what?

                          4. Create /opt/twonk directory
                          How?

                          Any help with the above will get me going, but I will not be buying
                          anything until it appears I can do this.. :)

                          Thanks all,
                          Bob
                        • Perry Donham
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                            I'd also recommend buying a book on basic Linux such as O'Reilly's
                            "Linux In a Nutshell." You're going to be doing more Linux command-line
                            work than is described in the howtos, and you'll want a decent
                            reference.

                            Perry

                            --
                            Perry Donham <pdonham@...>
                            Collaborative Consulting
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                              Ok, Bob, you can

                              Let me start with: You are asking all the right questions. And you can
                              look forward to a very steep learning curve that gets you in touch
                              with Linux ...

                              On 10/06/05, Bob <rtstrade@...> wrote:
                              > I will certainly need some hand holding to get thru this
                              > to the point of having the NSLU up and running my
                              > media to my Streamium.

                              Yep, help is all here in this list. And in the wiki ;-)

                              > For a point of reference, I am refering to this document on how to
                              > install TwonkyVision into the NSLU. It appears to be a little out
                              > of date but should be basically the same except to use a newer
                              > version of UnSlung?

                              Yeah, I think you might be right. I'd say you and me and who ever else
                              want, too, we will polish this and bring it up to speed.

                              > Basic Questions:
                              > 1. If I purchase the Linksys NSLU2 and a Maxtor 250 GB onetouch USB
                              > external drive....will that be a good start?

                              Very good start, purchasing the NSLU2. ;-)
                              I have a much smaller drive. I think I've seen issues with 300 GB
                              drives in this list, but can't remember properly what the status of
                              250 GB drives is... Anyone, please?

                              > 2. OK, then next I wire the NSLU2 to my Linksys router(WRT54GS) and
                              > now I will be able to connect to it from my WINXP PC.

                              That sounds like a very reasonable thing to ask for. Perfectly doable.
                              In practice, it requires a little attention to the IP addresses and
                              some other stuff. Have you read about that before? FAQ 21 talks a
                              little about it. Default NSLU2 address is 192.168.1.77 and I don't
                              know what the WRT54GS uses at the moment.

                              > I read somewhere that I should not connect
                              > the drive yet?

                              Well, here is the big picture: The next thing you'll doing is to
                              upgrade the NSLU2 firmware and setting it all up for the latest
                              Unslung 4.x base to run on/from your drive. This will involve
                              unpluggin and reconnecting the drive and following some other steps
                              ;-) in between - all is relatively well documented in the README and
                              the purpose of this mail thread is to make it very easy for you and
                              other new to Linux to follow and to understand.

                              > 2. Install Unslung firmware
                              > So, do I access the NSLU via a web browser and install the Unslung
                              > firmware according to the directions for the NSLU? This would be
                              > like updating the firmware for my Linksys router?

                              All in the famous README.

                              > http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php
                              > Which one to download here?

                              The latest and greatest.

                              > Then unzip and the file will be ready for firmware upgrade?

                              Hold on: it is (1) unzip (2) find and read README, (3) read README
                              more, (4) follow README by the letter ;-)

                              > [snip]
                              > How do I create these directories? Do I connect with my IE6 and
                              > somehow edit the NSLU directory?

                              You'll be using something called telnet. It is very much like the
                              Windows "Command Prompt" from Start - All Programs - Accessories. Open
                              it and type:
                              cd Desktop
                              mkdir my-test-directory
                              This created a directory using a command line interface only. Cool, huh?

                              Later with the NSLU2 you it will be a command prompt that runs on the
                              NSLU2 itself. The window to type commands and see the output your
                              actions will be on your normal Windows screen. You'll already need
                              that as part of following the README to get basic unslung running. So
                              by the time you want to install mediaplayer, you'll already have the
                              skills to do that...

                              > but I will not be buying
                              > anything until it appears I can do this.. :)

                              Well - there's your test. See, how it goes.

                              HTH
                              Kai
                            • Bob
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 10, 2005
                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rtstrade@p...> wrote:
> [...]
                                >
                                > http://www.unslung.org/downloads.php
                                > Which one to download here?
                                > Then unzip and the file will be ready for firmware upgrade?
                                >
                                > 3. Create /unslung directory (if doesn't exist) (Optional -
                                > create /share/hddvfat directory for FAT32 hard drive use) on the
                                > NSLU
                                >
                                > What is this directory for? The firmware is being updated into
                                the
                                > flash memory, right?
                                > How do I create these directories? Do I connect with my IE6 and
                                > somehow edit the NSLU directory?
                                > Do I need to format the drive in any way? If so, how and with
                                what?

                                > 4. Create /opt/twonk directory
                                > How?
                                >
                                > Any help with the above will get me going, but I will not be
                                buying
                                > anything until it appears I can do this.. :)

                                Addendum:

                                I want to make sure that I can use this setup as not only a
                                mediaserver, but as a backup unit.

                                1. Can I use WinXP backup to copy files to the NSLU2?
                                And be able to retrieve using WinXP these files using Restore?
                                2. Can I use the Norton SystemWorks Image creation, and copy these
                                to the NSLU2 setup?

                                I guess I want to know if it will work correctly as a backup device.
                                If not, I will add a hard drive to my PC to copy the files to
                                instead. And I will not need a very large USB drive to attach to
                                the NSLU2.

                                Bob
                              • zeke_the_bandit
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 11, 2005
                                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Perry Donham <pdonham@c...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I'd also recommend buying a book on basic Linux such as O'Reilly's
                                  > "Linux In a Nutshell."

                                  Evenin' all;

                                  I haven't even taken possession of my NSLU2 yet, I joined this group
                                  to start getting my head round it; and Perry makes a good point. So
                                  off to Abebooks to see if I can get one cheap, and while checking
                                  O'Reilly's website I see there's a new edition out in August.

                                  I've bought a few books off O'Reilly, and they've always been so
                                  good I've never felt the need to "upgrade"; can anyone advise if it's
                                  worth waiting, or will the 2003, or even 2000, version of "Linux in
                                  a Nutshell" be more than adequate?

                                  If it makes any difference, I'm not a computer person, but I've had
                                  to install and maintain a Unix system for my work, and it didn't
                                  kill me!

                                  Tim