Re: fail to format Sandisk 512Mb flash cruzer drive

  • wim_dewilder
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      thanks, I just wanted to make really sure before I blow
      something up ;-)

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.yahoo@r...>
      wrote:
      > Flash the unslung firmware, then plug the flash drive into the
      disk1
      > port, then format it using the web interface as directed in the
      > README.
      >
      > -- Rod
      >
      > On 6/2/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi All
      > >
      > > I just got my NSLU2 and I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB2.0
      Flash drive
      > > of 512 MB. I would like to load unslung and use this flash drive
      only.
      > > The unslung intructions say I should format the drive using
      Linksys
      > > firmware, however the drive shows up as 'Not installed' on the
      > > disk page in the administration mode.
      > > The flash disk does show up on the main page.
      > > I've tried both disk 1 and disk 2 positions.
      > >
      > > Linksys support says that only 256 Mb flash drives are
      supported ...

      > > Should I unslung anyway and try to format from that firmware web
      page ?

      > > thanks
      > > - Wim

      Service.
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        On 6/3/05, wim_dewilder <wim_dewilder@...> wrote:
        > thanks, I just wanted to make really sure before I blow
        > something up ;-)

        In general, it is not possible to damage hardware using the Unslung
        firmware or any of it's packages. The worst that can happen is that
        you will need to repartition and reformat disks, or reflash the
        firmware. We have never seen a case of hardware damage due to
        firmware or package usage.

        BUT, remember that the nslu2-linux development team takes no
        responsibility for your actions. This community is a meritocracy that
        takes personal responsibility as a basic fact of life, not something
        that lawyers argue about.

        -- Rod